Shiny cards

What's the deal with shiny cards? Do they mean something special? What
is the point of them?

Michael Beattie <mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu> writes:
> What's the deal with shiny cards? Do they mean something special?
> What is the point of them?

Shiny cards (Most people call them "foils", Wizards officially calls
them "premium cards") are just rarer than normal cards, and they look
cooler. Since they're rarer, they're often more valuable than the
normal version of a card. Gameplay wise, they work the same as a
normal card.

(Unless, of course, you have Super Secret Tech out. But that card
doesn't exist.)

--
Peter C.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you

Michael Beattie <mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>What's the deal with shiny cards? Do they mean something special? What
>is the point of them?

They are called "foils" by players, and "premium cards" by Wizards. Their
meaning is, essentially, that they're a Shiny version of the regular card;
they're about 100 times rarer, for any given one, than the corresponding
regular card, so they're harder to get.

(Unlike a lot of other card games, Magic did NOT make the mistake of having
certain cards available ONLY as the Shiny hard-to-get version (other than
Super Secret Tech, which still isn't in Gatherer either); the expansions
that have foils have ALL their cards available in foil versions, randomly.)

You do have to be careful with them in tournaments. Wizards stresses that
using foils is not BY ITSELF illegal in a tournament - Wizards made the
cards, and has no reason to want to tell its players they can't be used. But:
the foils -can- warp, with age and humidity, in a slightly different fashion
than the regular cards - something to do with the foil layer - so if you do
use them in your deck in a tournament you need to make sure they're not
marked compared to the regular ones, and/or that you haven't established some
pattern like "all my Islands and my four Plow Unders are foil, all my forests
and my other cards are regular cards". But aside from that detail, they work
just like the regular version of the card, as far as the game is concerned
(again, except if Super Secret Tech is involved, but it's from Unhinged so
won't show up at a tournament anyway).

Dave

David DeLaney (79.822% quality rating):

>>So, there's no point other than some money making scam?
>
> Huh? No - you pay the same for a pack with a foil in it as for a pack
> without one. _Wizards_ doesn't make extra money directly off selling foils;
> it makes extra money because some people buy more trying to get foils, or
> trying to get cards to trade for foils.

The fact that it is indirect does not contradict the idea that it is a
money-making scheme (or scam, in some people's opinions).

/joe
--
15% of Americans wish Dennis Hopper would go back on drugs.

Michael Beattie <mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> What's the deal with shiny cards? Do they mean something special? What
> is the point of them?

They loooook gooooood.

- ∞

--
I miei post non sbagliano. E' la realta' ad essere inesatta.