Goblin Hero and Mons's Goblin Raiders

I am very new to Magic so please forgive my ignorance of things that
everyone but a newbie may know. Anyway, I have both these cards as common,
but I also have both as rare. Is this a misprint or have the rules changed?
I can't for the life of me work out why either a Goblin King (2/2, 3 mana
creature with no special abilities) would be listed as "Rare". I also have
no idea why a Mons's Goblin Raiders (1/1, 1 mana with no specials) would be
regarded as "Rare" either.

Thanks for any help everybody

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:15:23 GMT, Mother Farquhar <fake@ddress.com> wrote:
>I am very new to Magic so please forgive my ignorance of things that
>everyone but a newbie may know. Anyway, I have both these cards as common,
>but I also have both as rare. Is this a misprint or have the rules changed?

You may be looking at the Starter versions; is the expansion symbol a gold
star? If so, they're from the fixed decks - in which each copy sold had the
same cards in it, so they aren't really "common" or "rare" from that source.

Mons' Goblin Raiders and Goblin Hero, as far as I know, have been common in
every -expansion- they were printed in - but they were also printed in one of
the Starter sets, as above.

>I can't for the life of me work out why either a Goblin King (2/2, 3 mana
>creature with no special abilities)

Er, you mean "Goblin Hero", I bet? Goblin King has a fairly special ability
- it gives all Goblins mountainwalk and +1/+1, and it _is_ Rare rarity.

>would be listed as "Rare". I also have
>no idea why a Mons's Goblin Raiders (1/1, 1 mana with no specials) would be
>regarded as "Rare" either.

Check and see what the expansion symbol is on the ones that have the golden
expansion symbol.

Dave

Mother Farquhar <fake@ddress.com> wrote:

> I am very new to Magic so please forgive my ignorance of things that
> everyone but a newbie may know. Anyway, I have both these cards as common,
> but I also have both as rare. Is this a misprint or have the rules changed?

What does "common"/"rare" have to do with "the rules"?

> I can't for the life of me work out why either a Goblin King (2/2, 3 mana
> creature with no special abilities) would be listed as "Rare".

Because they printed a lot less of those than they did of most other
cards in the main sets. (The "All Goblins get +1/+1 and have
mountainwalk." ability has already been pointed out.)

> I also have
> no idea why a Mons's Goblin Raiders (1/1, 1 mana with no specials) would be
> regarded as "Rare" either.

Neither does anyone else. This is odd ... According to Wizards, that
card and Goblin Hero were commons in Starter, but the stars on both were
gold.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> You may be looking at the Starter versions; is the expansion symbol a gold
> star? If so, they're from the fixed decks - in which each copy sold had the
> same cards in it, so they aren't really "common" or "rare" from that source.

Except that all the other cards that appeared only in the fixed decks
got black stars.
--

"Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com> wrote in message
> I am very new to Magic so please forgive my ignorance of things that
> everyone but a newbie may know. Anyway, I have both these cards as common,
> but I also have both as rare. Is this a misprint or have the rules
changed?
> I can't for the life of me work out why either a Goblin King (2/2, 3 mana

I of course meant Goblin Hero!

> creature with no special abilities) would be listed as "Rare". I also have
> no idea why a Mons's Goblin Raiders (1/1, 1 mana with no specials) would
be
> regarded as "Rare" either.

Thanks for the answers everyone

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Mother Farquhar wrote:

> I can't for the life of me work out why either a Goblin King (2/2, 3 mana
> creature with no special abilities) would be listed as "Rare".

I don't know what you mean by special but Goblin King does have
an abilitity:

Goblin King
{1}{R}{R}
Creature -- Lord