More newbie questions

All,

I recently posted some newbie questions (see http://tinyurl.com/c4g66)
which were all helpfully answered (you may want to read that post to
get the background on the decks I am using etc). Following that post, I
have more questions (based on more play). No doubt many of the answers
are obvious (and many of them I am pretty sure I know the answer too) -
but I ask them to be 100% sure. ;-)

So, be gentle. ;-)

Anyhow, here goes:

DEFENDING:
* I know attacking results in tapping of the attacker. Does defending
result in the tapping of the defender?
* Does the Trample ability also work when the creature is defending (or
only in attack)?

UNHOLY STRENGTH:
* If during combat I use Disenchant to destroy Unholy Strength, does
the creature who had Unholy Strength still get its benefits in that
combat?

RAISE DEAD:
* Is raise the dead 'regeneration'?
* Is there anything that CAN'T be raised with this card (for example,
creatures that have been 'buried' or 'removed from game')?

DEATH WARD:
* How does this card differ from Raise Dead?
* When a creature is regenerated, does it then have 0 damage against it
(ie is it restored to full health)? Or something else?
* If Drain Life is used to destroy my character, and Death Ward is used
to regenerate it, does my character keep its enchantments?

DRAIN LIFE:
* Oracle states 'Spend only black mana on X. Drain Life deals X damage
to target creature or player. You gain life equal to the damage dealt,
but not more life than the player's life total before Drain Life
dealt damage or the creature's toughness.' The last sentence is the
basis of my confusion. Lets say the other player played Drain Life. He
is deciding between using it against me or my creature. I have 6 lives,
and my undamaged creature has 4 toughness. The attacked spends 7 mana.
How many lives do they gain if played against myself? How many lives do
they gain if played against my creature?

FROZEN SHADE:
* Why is this card so expensive to put in play? It costs three mana to
play it, and it seems very weak. Am I missing something?

PIT SCORPION:
* Does poison get applied to the defending player only if the Pit
Scorpion is not blocked?

DISCARD:
* When discarding down to seven cards, where do the cards go? Are they
destroyed, buried, removed from game, or something else?

CIRCLE OF PROTECTION: BLACK:
* Can the ability of this card only be used to protect the player, or
also his/her creatures?
* Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Pit Scorpion's poison?
* Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Cursed Land?

Thanks for your time.
Matthew
7 answers Last reply
More about more newbie questions
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    mjwills <matthew_wills@mlc.com.au> wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I recently posted some newbie questions (see http://tinyurl.com/c4g66)
    > which were all helpfully answered (you may want to read that post to
    > get the background on the decks I am using etc). Following that post, I
    > have more questions (based on more play). No doubt many of the answers
    > are obvious (and many of them I am pretty sure I know the answer too) -
    > but I ask them to be 100% sure. ;-)
    >
    > So, be gentle. ;-)
    >
    > Anyhow, here goes:
    >
    > DEFENDING:
    > * I know attacking results in tapping of the attacker. Does defending
    > result in the tapping of the defender?

    No, blocking does not cause creatures to tap.

    309.2a The defending player chooses zero or more creatures he or she
    controls, chooses one attacking creature for each one to block, then
    determines whether this set of blocks is legal. Only untapped creatures
    can block, but blocking does not cause creatures to tap. Other effects
    may also affect whether or not a set of creatures could block. (See rule
    500, "Legal Attacks and Blocks.")

    > * Does the Trample ability also work when the creature is defending (or
    > only in attack)?

    No, a creature with trample has no special abilities when blocking.

    502.9a Trample is a static ability that modifies the rules for assigning
    an attacking creature's combat damage. A creature with trample has no
    special abilities when blocking or dealing noncombat damage. (See rule
    310, "Combat Damage Step.")

    > UNHOLY STRENGTH:
    > * If during combat I use Disenchant to destroy Unholy Strength, does
    > the creature who had Unholy Strength still get its benefits in that
    > combat?

    You need to be more specific than "during combat".

    The effect of Unholy Strength's ability ends the moment it leaves play.

    405. Static Abilities

    405.1. A static ability does something all the time rather than being
    activated or triggered. The ability isn't played--it just "exists." Such
    abilities apply only while the ability is on a permanent in play, unless
    the ability is covered by rule 402.8 or 402.9.

    But if it is still in place when combat damage is assigned, it won't
    matter that the creature's power decreases.

    310.4a Combat damage is dealt as it was originally assigned even if the
    creature dealing damage is no longer in play, its power has changed, or
    the creature receiving damage has left combat.

    > RAISE DEAD:
    > * Is raise the dead 'regeneration'?

    No.

    > * Is there anything that CAN'T be raised with this card (for example,
    > creatures that have been 'buried' or 'removed from game')?

    Anything that isn't a creature card in your graveyard (for example, a
    Swamp card in your graveyard, a Drudge Skeleton card in your opponent's
    graveyard, a card that was removed from the game).

    > DEATH WARD:
    > * How does this card differ from Raise Dead?

    How *doesn't* it differ? For openers, the target must be a creature
    (i.e., in play) rather than a creature card in your graveyard.

    > * When a creature is regenerated, does it then have 0 damage against it
    > (ie is it restored to full health)? Or something else?

    Yes, one of the things regeneration does when it replaces destruction is
    remove all damage.

    419.6b Regeneration is a destruction-replacement effect. The word
    "instead" doesn't appear on the card but is implicit in the definition
    of regeneration. "Regenerate [permanent]" means "The next time
    [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage from
    it, tap it, and (if it's in combat) remove it from combat." Abilities
    that trigger from damage being dealt still trigger even if the permanent
    regenerates.

    > * If Drain Life is used to destroy my character, and Death Ward is used
    > to regenerate it, does my character keep its enchantments?

    Yes. Why would your *creature* lose them?

    > DRAIN LIFE:
    > * Oracle states 'Spend only black mana on X. Drain Life deals X damage
    > to target creature or player. You gain life equal to the damage dealt,
    > but not more life than the player's life total before Drain Life
    > dealt damage or the creature's toughness.' The last sentence is the
    > basis of my confusion. Lets say the other player played Drain Life. He
    > is deciding between using it against me or my creature. I have 6 lives,
    > and my undamaged creature has 4 toughness. The attacked spends 7 mana.
    > How many lives do they gain if played against myself? How many lives do
    > they gain if played against my creature?

    When you say "spends 7 mana", I'll assume your just talking about the X
    part of the cost.

    Assuming none of the damage is prevented, they would gain 6 life if you
    are the target (6 being your life total before it dealt damage) or 4
    life if your creature is the target (4 being the creature's toughness).

    > FROZEN SHADE:
    > * Why is this card so expensive to put in play? It costs three mana to
    > play it, and it seems very weak. Am I missing something?

    If you have three black mana on your next turn, you can play its
    activated ability three times and make it a 3/4 creature for the turn.

    > PIT SCORPION:
    > * Does poison get applied to the defending player only if the Pit
    > Scorpion is not blocked?

    It triggers whenever Pit Scorpion deals damage to a *player*; the
    easiest way to do this is for it to attack and not be blocked.

    > DISCARD:
    > * When discarding down to seven cards, where do the cards go? Are they
    > destroyed, buried, removed from game, or something else?

    Discard
    A player discards a card by putting a card from his or her hand into his
    or her graveyard. By default, effects that cause a player to discard a
    card allow the affected player to choose which card to discard. Some
    effects, however, require a random discard or allow another player to
    choose which card is discarded.

    > CIRCLE OF PROTECTION: BLACK:
    > * Can the ability of this card only be used to protect the player, or
    > also his/her creatures?

    It only prevents damage that would be dealt "to you". It doesn't touch
    damage to your creatures.

    > * Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Pit Scorpion's poison?

    It can prevent the damage from Pit Scorpion; this keeps that ability
    from triggering.

    419.5. If an event is prevented or replaced, it never happens. A
    modified event occurs instead, which may in turn trigger abilities. Note
    that the modified event may contain instructions that can't be carried
    out, in which case the player simply ignores the impossible instruction.

    > * Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Cursed Land?

    Cursed Land is as valid a choice as any other black source of damage,
    yes.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net

    Dave (and Daniel),

    Thanks for your (prompt) responses. Both very helpful.

    Thanks
    Matthew
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote:

    > When you say "spends 7 mana", I'll assume your just talking about the X
    > part of the cost.

    Arrrgh.

    "you're"
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net
    http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
    039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On 9 Jul 2005 21:39:51 -0700, mjwills <matthew_wills@mlc.com.au> wrote:
    >Following that post, I have more questions (based on more play).

    One good method of discovering where your questions are...

    >No doubt many of the answers
    >are obvious (and many of them I am pretty sure I know the answer too) -
    >but I ask them to be 100% sure. ;-)

    Fair enough.

    >DEFENDING:
    >* I know attacking results in tapping of the attacker. Does defending
    >result in the tapping of the defender?

    Blocking does not cause the blocker to tap. (The 'defender' is usually
    referring to the defending player.)

    >* Does the Trample ability also work when the creature is defending (or
    >only in attack)?

    Only on attack. An attacking creature with Trample _may_ assign combat damage
    to defending player IF it also assigns at least lethal damage to each of its
    blockers. A blocking creature with Trample does nothing special.

    >UNHOLY STRENGTH:
    >* If during combat I use Disenchant to destroy Unholy Strength, does
    >the creature who had Unholy Strength still get its benefits in that
    >combat?

    Nope. The +2/+1 from Unholy Strength lasts _exactly_ as long as the Unholy
    Strength is actually on the creature (and has its ability). If the Unholy
    Strength leaves play, then the continuous effect of its static ability stops
    right then.

    >RAISE DEAD:
    >* Is raise the dead 'regeneration'?

    Nope. It has nothing to do with regeneration.

    Raise Dead B Sorcery
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

    And, in fact, regeneration has nothing to do with creature cards _in your
    graveyard_ at all. "Regenerate <this>" means "set up a replacement shield on
    <this> that, the next time this turn <this> _would be_ destroyed, _instead_
    tap it, remove it from combat, and remove all damage from it"; it's a
    replacement effect that replaces destroying the permanent. (Meaning that if
    such a shield is in place beforehand and gets used, the permanent is not
    destroyed at all, never leaves play, etc.)

    >* Is there anything that CAN'T be raised with this card (for example,
    >creatures that have been 'buried' or 'removed from game')?

    "Bury" is an Old Term. Most cards that used that term, before Tempest (1996),
    now say "destroy it & it can't be regenerated". A few say 'sacrifice'. Check
    Oracle at gatherer.wizards.com to see what the actual current wording of any
    card you have that says "bury" on it is.

    "Removed from the game" does NOT send something to your graveyard. It sends
    it to your removed-from-game zone. Raise Dead doesn't say it can target or
    affect something in that zone at all, so it can't. (There are six main zones
    of play: hand, library, graveyard, in-play, removed-from-game, and the stack.
    There are also two obscure ones: phased-out and ante.)

    >DEATH WARD:
    >* How does this card differ from Raise Dead?

    A great deal.

    Death Ward W Instant
    Regenerate target creature.

    As noted above, Raise Dead picks a card already in your graveyard up out
    of there, and puts it into your hand. Death Ward does nothing like that;
    what it does is set up a "regeneration shield" on the targetted creature
    in play. If, after that shield's set up, something tries to destroy the
    creature? (This does include lethal damage killing it, but that's the only
    thing other than things that SAY 'destroy' that counts, because the rules
    say lethal damage to a creature destroys it.) Then instead the creature
    regenerates - gets tapped, removed from combat, and wiped clean of damage.

    If, after that shield's set up, nothing tries to destroy the creature for
    the rest of that turn? Then the shield quietly expires, unused, at the same
    time any 'until end of turn' effects wear off.

    >* When a creature is regenerated, does it then have 0 damage against it
    >(ie is it restored to full health)? Or something else?

    Okay, this is going to seem complicated.

    MAKING the shield - what Death Ward does when it resolves - does nothing to
    the creature at all or to damage, etc.; it just sets up the shield.

    USING the shield - having it replace an about-to-happen "I destroy this,
    mua ha ha!!!" effect - removes any damage that may be on the creature, as
    well as tapping it and removing it from combat. But none of these three
    things happen when you first make the shield.

    (And I detect a trace of a question here: remember damage to a creature DOES
    NOT reduce its toughness in any way. It just sits on the creature, until end
    of turn, and gets -compared- to its toughness any time state-based effects
    get checked - any time a player would get priority.)

    >* If Drain Life is used to destroy my character, and Death Ward is used
    >to regenerate it, does my character keep its enchantments?

    "Creature", not "Character". 'Character' is another game all together...

    Drain Life deals damage to the creature. If, BEFORE Drain Life resolves and
    deals the damage (and this is very important - Death Ward can't target a card
    in a graveyard, and in general if your creature is in the graveyard it's TOO
    LATE to regenerate it: replacement shields need to be there in advance of
    what they try to replace), you cast Death Ward on the creature? Say, in
    response to the Drain Life? Then:

    the Death Ward resolves and makes the regen shield for the creature
    the Death Ward goes to owner's graveyard
    pass, pass
    the Drain Life resolves and deals X damage to the creature, and gives its
    caster X life or the creature's toughness in life, whichever is less
    the Drain Life goes to owner's graveyard
    Check state-based effects (because active player is about to get priority):
    the creature is, we presume for this example, lethally damaged - it has
    damage on it greater than or equal to its toughness (which DID NOT CHANGE,
    remember, when the Drain Life hit it). The creature gets destroyed by the
    rules.
    But wait! There's a replacement effect waiting for the next time this turn
    this creature would get destroyed! It replaces that about-to-happen
    destruction with "tap creature, remove all damage from creature, remove
    creature from combat". So the creature does not get destroyed. It DOES get
    tapped.

    Now: the creature did NOT get destroyed; it did not leave play. It DID get
    tapped... but tapping a creature generally does not remove its enchantments.
    Similarly, removing a creature from combat, or removing damage from it, does
    not remove enchantments on it. So there is no reason for enchantments on
    the creature to have anything happen to them.

    In particular, because I _know_ this is what you're thinking, partially:
    the creature DOES NOT "go to the graveyard, then get put back into play,
    because it regenerated". Regeneration doesn't DO that; this is not Raise Dead.

    >DRAIN LIFE:
    >* Oracle states 'Spend only black mana on X. Drain Life deals X damage
    >to target creature or player. You gain life equal to the damage dealt,
    >but not more life than the player's life total before Drain Life
    >dealt damage or the creature's toughness.' The last sentence is the
    >basis of my confusion. Lets say the other player played Drain Life. He
    >is deciding between using it against me or my creature. I have 6 lives,
    >and my undamaged creature has 4 toughness. The attacked spends 7 mana.
    >How many lives do they gain if played against myself? How many lives do
    >they gain if played against my creature?

    If they cast it on you (and it resolves)? It will deal 7 damage to you and
    they will gain 6 life. (Then you will lose the game because your life total
    is now -1, as a state-based effect.)

    If they cast it on your creature and it resolves? It will deal 7 damage to
    your creature, and they will gain 4 life. (And then your creature will be
    destroyed because it has 7 damage on it but only 4 toughness; again as a
    state-based effect.)

    >FROZEN SHADE:
    >* Why is this card so expensive to put in play? It costs three mana to
    >play it, and it seems very weak. Am I missing something?

    It's only weak if you don't have extra black mana handy. "B: ~ gets +1/+1
    until end of turn" is a fairly powerful ability...

    >PIT SCORPION:
    >* Does poison get applied to the defending player only if the Pit
    >Scorpion is not blocked?

    Pit Scorpion 2B Creature -- Scorpion
    1/1 Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, that player gets a poison counter. (A
    player with ten or more poison counters loses the game.)

    A player gets a poison counter any time Pit Scorpion _deals damage to_ him.
    It doesn't have to be combat damage, though that's the main way this can
    happen. It doesn't have to have anything to do with whether Pit Scorpion
    attacked and wasn't blocked - imagine if it had an enchantment on it from
    opponent that said "Enchanted creature gets -3/-0"; this would make it deal
    no combat damage at all, even if it attacked and wasn't blocked. No damage
    dealt == no triggered ability triggering --> no poison counter. Also look
    at Fire Whip or Hermetic Study...

    >DISCARD:
    >* When discarding down to seven cards, where do the cards go? Are they
    >destroyed, buried, removed from game, or something else?

    They are discarded; discarded cards go to your graveyard from your hand.
    (You can't "discard" from anywhere other than your hand.) Countered spells
    put the spell's card into owner's graveyard; destroyed or sacrificed permanents
    go to owner's graveyard from play.

    >CIRCLE OF PROTECTION: BLACK:
    >* Can the ability of this card only be used to protect the player, or
    >also his/her creatures?

    Only the player, as it states:

    Circle of Protection: Black 1W Enchantment
    1: The next time a black source of your choice would deal damage to you this
    turn, prevent that damage.

    Your creatures are not 'you'; damage that would be dealt to your creatures
    is not damage that would be dealt to you, and any shield you make with CoP:
    Black can't affect such damage.

    >* Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Pit Scorpion's poison?

    Only indirectly. It can certainly be used to prevent the damage to you from
    a Pit Scorpion ... and if the Pit Scorpion does not deal damage, its ability
    can't trigger. And prevented damage isn't dealt. But the Circle can't do
    anything -directly- about a poison counter you're getting - it doesn't say
    it can. (Compare it to Leeches, the only thing we have that can remove
    poison counters.) See the difference?

    >* Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Cursed Land?

    Cursed Land deals damage to a player, and Cursed Land is (usually) black. So
    that player would be able, before the damage was dealt, to use his CoP: Black
    already in play, and make a shield, picking the Cursed Land as the source, that
    would prevent the damage the next time that turn Cursed Land tried to damage
    him. (In short: yes, it can generally prevent the damage from Cursed Land to
    you.)

    Dave
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    "mjwills" <matthew_wills@mlc.com.au> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I recently posted some newbie questions (see http://tinyurl.com/c4g66)
    > which were all helpfully answered (you may want to read that post to
    > get the background on the decks I am using etc). Following that post, I
    > have more questions (based on more play). No doubt many of the answers
    > are obvious (and many of them I am pretty sure I know the answer too) -
    > but I ask them to be 100% sure. ;-)
    >
    > So, be gentle. ;-)
    >
    > Anyhow, here goes:
    >
    > DEFENDING:
    > * I know attacking results in tapping of the attacker. Does defending
    > result in the tapping of the defender?
    > * Does the Trample ability also work when the creature is defending (or
    > only in attack)?

    Creatures don't tap to block, or when they come into play (a common
    misconception). They only tap when they attack, use an ability with TAP in
    its cost, or as the result of some effect.

    Trample as a creature ability is only useful when the creature with it is
    attacking. If a defending creature has trample, the trample doesn't do
    anything special. It's like having protection from blue when the creature
    you're up against is green. :)

    > UNHOLY STRENGTH:
    > * If during combat I use Disenchant to destroy Unholy Strength, does
    > the creature who had Unholy Strength still get its benefits in that
    > combat?

    No, Unholy Strength's text says nothing about 'If ~ leaves play, enchanted
    creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn' or anything similar. Enchanting a
    permanent only affects the enchanted permanent for as long as the
    enchantment is in play; once it leaves play, it grants no benefit unless it
    says otherwise.

    > RAISE DEAD:
    > * Is raise the dead 'regeneration'?
    > * Is there anything that CAN'T be raised with this card (for example,
    > creatures that have been 'buried' or 'removed from game')?

    No, Raise Dead is not like Regeneration. Regeneration stops a creature from
    going to the graveyard in the first place; Raise Dead brings it back to your
    HAND (to be re-played) once it has already died.

    The expression 'bury target creature' has long since been replaced with
    'Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.' A buried creature still
    ends up in the graveyard, so it can be Raised, but a creature Removed from
    Game is no longer accessible by anything with the exception of Wishes and
    Ring of Ma'Ruf (and I think that's it) until the game starts over. As for
    what else can't be raised - as far as I know, it will bring back to your
    hand any creature card that is in your graveyard. If it's (a) noncreature
    and (b) not in your graveyard, it won't touch it. Protection from Black or
    Protection from Sorceries is irrelevant, as abilities are only effective if
    the card is in play, unless it states otherwise.

    > DEATH WARD:
    > * How does this card differ from Raise Dead?
    > * When a creature is regenerated, does it then have 0 damage against it
    > (ie is it restored to full health)? Or something else?
    > * If Drain Life is used to destroy my character, and Death Ward is used
    > to regenerate it, does my character keep its enchantments?

    Death Ward basically puts the creature back up to full health, and stops it
    from going to the graveyard as a result. Technically, it stops destroy
    effects, and the rules (if I recall correctly) will destroy a creature that
    has taken lethal damage. So, you use Death Ward to stop the creature from
    dying, but if it does die, you Raise Dead it to re-play it. And yes, a
    regenerated creature doesn't lose any enchantments, or counters, or
    equipment, or the like that it had on it.

    > DRAIN LIFE:
    > * Oracle states 'Spend only black mana on X. Drain Life deals X damage
    > to target creature or player. You gain life equal to the damage dealt,
    > but not more life than the player's life total before Drain Life
    > dealt damage or the creature's toughness.' The last sentence is the
    > basis of my confusion. Lets say the other player played Drain Life. He
    > is deciding between using it against me or my creature. I have 6 lives,
    > and my undamaged creature has 4 toughness. The attacked spends 7 mana.
    > How many lives do they gain if played against myself? How many lives do
    > they gain if played against my creature?

    OK. Your life total is 6, your creature has 4 toughness. If your opponent
    plays Drain Life and puts 7 black mana into X, he can deal 7 damage to
    either you or the creature, but he will only gain 6 life if he plays it
    against you or 4 life if he plays it against your creature. He deals X
    damage but can't gain more life than his target.

    > FROZEN SHADE:
    > * Why is this card so expensive to put in play? It costs three mana to
    > play it, and it seems very weak. Am I missing something?

    It's because of its 'pumpability'. Let me try to explain this.

    The base for the mana cost of a given creature is 1 mana for each combined 2
    points of power and toughness. Thus a 1/1 creature (2 points total) has a
    base mana cost of 1. At three mana, you have access to a 0/1 creature which,
    on your next turn, will be able to be up to a 3/4 creature - 7 points
    combined, or 3.5 mana worth. Also, if you drop a source of black mana that
    turn - say, a Swamp - it will be a 4/5, which is 4.5 points. When you
    consider this, three mana is actually quite reasonable, even though it
    spends a lot of the time only being a 0/1.

    > PIT SCORPION:
    > * Does poison get applied to the defending player only if the Pit
    > Scorpion is not blocked?

    Pit Scorpion
    2B
    Creature -- Scorpion
    1/1
    Whenever Pit Scorpion deals damage to a player, that player gets a poison
    counter. (A player with ten or more poison counters loses the game.)

    The key phrase here is 'deals damage to a player'. As long as it has a way
    to hit the opponent - unblockable (maybe with Dwarven Warriors), or evasion
    (Fear and Flying Carpet come to mind), or doing damage directly to the
    opponent without combat (how about Psionic Gift?) - then it will give a
    poison counter to the opponent.

    > DISCARD:
    > * When discarding down to seven cards, where do the cards go? Are they
    > destroyed, buried, removed from game, or something else?

    They are 'something else' - discarded. They go from your hand directly to
    your graveyard, with no chance to play them - unless, of course, you play
    them instead of discarding them. :)

    > CIRCLE OF PROTECTION: BLACK:
    > * Can the ability of this card only be used to protect the player, or
    > also his/her creatures?
    > * Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Pit Scorpion's poison?
    > * Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Cursed Land?

    The ability on COP:Black now reads:

    1: The next time a black source of your choice would deal damage to you this
    turn, prevent that damage.

    Note that it says 'damage to *YOU* this turn', meaning it can only protect
    yourself. Note also that damage prevented is considered damage not having
    been dealt, so it will stop a Pit Scorpion from both dealing damage to you
    AND giving you a poison counter. As Cursed Land also is (a) Black and (b)
    deals damage, you can use the COP:Black to prevent the damage from it,
    although you have to use mana every turn for it, since it isn't doing it
    just once, AND you'll need to prevent for EACH Cursed Land that would damage
    you.

    Hope this helps!

    Erich
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    mjwills <matthew_wills@mlc.com.au> wrote:

    > So, be gentle. ;-)
    >
    > Anyhow, here goes:
    >
    > DEFENDING:
    There is no "defending" in Magic. I believe you mean "blocking".
    Unfortunately, words are extremely important in this game...

    > * I know attacking results in tapping of the attacker. Does defending
    > result in the tapping of the defender?

    Assigning a creature as a blocker does not tap it.

    > * Does the Trample ability also work when the creature is defending (or
    > only in attack)?

    Trample only modifies combat damage dealt by a creature when that
    creature is attacking; it does not modify damage dealt by a blocking
    creature.

    > UNHOLY STRENGTH:
    > * If during combat I use Disenchant to destroy Unholy Strength, does
    > the creature who had Unholy Strength still get its benefits in that
    > combat?

    It depends on what benefits you mean and the time the Disenchant is
    played.
    When Disenchant destroys Unholy Strength, the +2/+1 bonus stops applying
    immediatly. When you reach a particular step of combat (the Combat
    Damage step), combat damage assignments go on the stack and are "fixed";
    when they resolve, damage is dealt as originally assigned, *EVEN IF THE
    CREATURE LEFT PLAY OR ITS POWER CHANGED*. This means that if you
    Disenchant a Unholy Strength before the Combat Damage step, it will
    assign damage equal to its power without Unholy Strength; if you do it
    afterwards, damage will be assigned with the Unholy Strength bonus and
    destroying the enchantment won't modify the assignment.

    > RAISE DEAD:
    === ORACLE TEXT <http://gatherer.wizards.com/> ===
    Raise Dead
    Sorcery
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
    === = ===

    > * Is raise the dead 'regeneration'?

    No 'regenerate' anywhere in the text, so, no it isn't.
    Regeneration doesn't return cards from the graveyard, it prevents them
    from being destroyed in first place.

    === THE COMPREHENSIVE RULES SAY: ===
    === <http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules> ===

    > * Is there anything that CAN'T be raised with this card (for example,
    > creatures that have been 'buried' or 'removed from game')?

    It returns a target creature card from your graveyard to your hand. If
    it isn't in your graveyard, it's not a legal target, so it can't be
    chosen for the effect of this card.
    Note that 'buried' is an obsolete term; cards don't use it anymore (they
    make you sacrifice or destroy instead). Cards that are sacrificed or
    destroyed go to your graveyard. Cards that are removed from the game
    leave the game you are playing entirely, so no graveyard.

    > DEATH WARD:
    > * How does this card differ from Raise Dead?
    === ORACLE TEXT <http://gatherer.wizards.com/> ===
    Death Ward
    Instant
    Regenerate target creature.
    === = ===

    See above. This does not return cards from your graveyard, it prevents
    them from going there entirely.

    > * When a creature is regenerated, does it then have 0 damage against it
    > (ie is it restored to full health)? Or something else?

    See above for the full rules for regeneration.

    > * If Drain Life is used to destroy my character,

    I believe you mean "creature".

    > and Death Ward is used
    > to regenerate it, does my character keep its enchantments?

    It does not leave play, so if any enchantments were attached to it,
    they're still there. Local enchantments go to the graveyard if the
    creature they are enchanting isn't in play anymore (or if they are
    destroyed or some other effect happens to make them leave play).

    > DRAIN LIFE:
    > * Oracle states 'Spend only black mana on X. Drain Life deals X damage
    > to target creature or player. You gain life equal to the damage dealt,
    > but not more life than the player's life total before Drain Life
    > dealt damage or the creature's toughness.' The last sentence is the
    > basis of my confusion. Lets say the other player played Drain Life. He
    > is deciding between using it against me or my creature. I have 6 lives,
    > and my undamaged creature has 4 toughness. The attacked spends 7 mana.
    > How many lives do they gain if played against myself? How many lives do
    > they gain if played against my creature?

    I believe you mean "life points" up there ;)
    Anyway, that sentence means that he'll gain six life if he deals damage
    to you, or four if he deals damage to the creature. If the last sentence
    were not there, he'd gain as many life as he dealt damage, which means
    seven life in both cases. (Note that damage dealt is unrelated to
    toughness or life -- for instance, compare Drain Life to:

    === ORACLE TEXT <http://gatherer.wizards.com/> ===
    Doubtless One
    3W
    Creature — Cleric Avatar
    */*
    Doubtless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of
    Clerics in play.
    Whenever Doubtless One deals damage, you gain that much life.
    === = ===

    If Doubtless One were to deal 10 damage, you'd gain 10 life, regardless
    of how many life the damaged player had or toughness the damage creature
    had. The last sentence of Drain Life is there to reverse this, for Drain
    Life only.)

    > FROZEN SHADE:
    > * Why is this card so expensive to put in play? It costs three mana to
    > play it, and it seems very weak. Am I missing something?

    It's a Shade. It has the ability most Shades have (B: Frozen Shade gets
    +1/+1 until end of turn), which means it can raise both its power and
    toughness without limits other than the black mana you have available.
    Which is, by the way, very good. Although there are better Shades out
    there.

    Back to the rules:

    > PIT SCORPION:
    > * Does poison get applied to the defending player only if the Pit
    > Scorpion is not blocked?

    === ORACLE TEXT <http://gatherer.wizards.com/> ===
    Pit Scorpion
    2B
    Creature — Scorpion
    1/1
    Whenever Pit Scorpion deals damage to a player, that player gets a
    poison counter. (A player with ten or more poison counters loses the
    game.)
    === = ===

    It must deal damage to THE PLAYER for the poison counter to be given.
    Most of the time, blocking a creature stops it from dealing damage to a
    player (Trample and other strange Rhox-like effects aside).

    > DISCARD:
    > * When discarding down to seven cards, where do the cards go? Are they
    > destroyed, buried, removed from game, or something else?

    They are placed in your graveyard. Nothing else happens to them.

    > CIRCLE OF PROTECTION: BLACK:
    > * Can the ability of this card only be used to protect the player, or
    > also his/her creatures?

    === ORACLE TEXT <http://gatherer.wizards.com/> ===
    Circle of Protection: Black
    1W
    Enchantment
    1: The next time a black source of your choice would deal damage to you
    this turn, prevent that damage.
    === = ===

    It says 'you'. 'You' is not 'creatures you control', so, no.

    > * Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Pit Scorpion's poison?

    It prevents Pit Scorpion from dealing damage to you, which stops its
    ability from triggering. So, yeah.
    However, note that it prevents THE DAMAGE that would lead to the ability
    triggering that would lead you to getting a poison counter. It does not
    stop the poison counter directly.

    > * Can the ability be used to 'protect' from Cursed Land?

    === ORACLE TEXT <http://gatherer.wizards.com/> ===
    Cursed Land
    2BB
    Enchant Land
    At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted land's controller, Cursed
    Land deals 1 damage to that player.
    === = ===

    It deals damage to you (assuming it enchants a land you control), so you
    may use Circle of Protection: Black's ability to prevent it.

    > Thanks for your time.
    > Matthew

    No problem :)

    - ∞

    --
    I miei post non sbagliano. E' la realta' ad essere inesatta.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    l0ne <thethinker@email.it.is.not.invalid> wrote:

    > There is no "defending" in Magic.

    Whoops, me is wrong. "Defending" is referred to the player being
    attacked, who is the "defending player". But not to the creatures the
    defending player uses to block.
    There. Corrected. ;)

    - ∞

    --
    I miei post non sbagliano. E' la realta' ad essere inesatta.

Video Games