assigning drive letters, help needed!

redalet

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I have a 40 gig HD with 3 partitions listed in FDISK. My OS is on the first partition and it's set to active but somehow I was messing around and Windows assigned the drive letter C:\ to the second partition which I planned to install ME on. Now I can't boot into windows. How can I reassign the drive letter C:\ to the first partition so I can boot?

G

Heres how to change boot partitions so try changing them, with XP "c" is usaully always the boot drive, see the last bullet point. If not then you may have to run the XP CD thru bootup and use the console and run "fixboot".

- use a ME boot disk
- run "fdisk" at command prompt and "select drive" (4.)
- then select "set active partition" (2.) and select the partition that XP boots with, eg. partition 1
- exit and restart
- no harm done if you select the wrong one, just repeat bootup with floppy and running fdisk

Also where are you seeing the drive letter "C"?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
You think you have problems now, wait until you install WinMe. It’s best to install WinMe first, then WinXP. If you install Me after XP you might find your self repairing the boot often, or have other problems, until eventually you have to reinstall the OSs.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like Jiffy said, it is <b>not</b> recommended to install WinXP (or W2k) before WinME (or Win98) because WinMe 's OS will destroy WinXP bootloader (renders it unbootable), and you would have to repair it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.