ATI Radeon 9600 PRO vs GeForce FX 5600 ULTRA

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't trust just one benchmark, especially with all the nvidia cheating lately. Both are really good card and mostly = in performance. At least nothing you will notice with the naked eye. I say you get the cheapest of the two and you won't regret it.

zfuture

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
"What separates these two chips is the reduction of pixel pipelines from eight to four (compared to the Radeon 9500 PRO), and of the vertex shaders -- from four to two."

I am worried about this...

kenshiro

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
The Nvidia 5600 Ultra cost around $200. I had been adviced by others to get the Powercolor 9700 non-pro for $215 and will be happier that way. Even though the Powercolor is not the best manufacturer for ATI, 9700 non-pro is still far better than the 5600 Ultra.

If you are worried about THAT then the FX5600Ultra is not the card for you either!

Get and R9500Pro if you can find it, otherwise the R9600Pro or FX5600Ultra REVISION 2 (not Rev.1) are your best choices.

Heck if you're REALLY worried then go with the R9700non-pro, that's an even better bet and will outperform all of the above by a large margin.

What a worrywart! :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
hehehe i was gonna make a joke about that, but i dont wanna piss off newbies (shudders)

I like FX5600 Ultra Rev 2.0
The Gainward one is better than any R9600pro around (not in terms of performance)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

The Gainward one is better than any R9600pro around (not in terms of performance)
Sorry I don't get that () bit. Are you talking LOOKS? Ok I'll give you a 9.7 vs the Hercules 9.5 on looks. I assume that's what you meant. I just wish they would make more with NICE (I Like it) BLACK PCBs or Nice CLEAR/SILVER one's like that 'wireless video' one I posted a while back (but with an UGLY HSF as to disqualify it from this contest). But the Retail ATI <i>BOX</i> wins IMO. MMMmm Evil Goalie! And Hopefully the RV360 will be named the R9666EVIL (Son of Evil Goalie!)

In any case I think the Gainward's a Sweet card too.

Here's <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=1" target="_new">the review</A> again. MMMm Firey Red with a Red LED! Nice!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Eradz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I have to agree that you cant just stick to one site when searching for benchmarks or in that matter anything. The more info on the subject the better. Now for the most asked question in the graphics world "raedon or gefoce". Now some will be straight out and say one or the other. I have been looking for the same answer. I have been to many sites and i have seen the benchmarks for all the cards. One thing that puzzles me is , Lets say you got 10 sites, all the sites are running the same system and then testing each of the graphic cards in thier system. They all got the same exact benchmark apps / drivers. So everything is equal. They all SHOULD get around the same results? But why is it that 60%(just a random number, not saying that geforce is better or anyhting like that) of the scores favor geforce but the other 40% favor raedon cause of the scores. How could one with the same exact hardware / drivers / benchmark apps get so much of a different score then someone who runs the same exact rig? I know that different benchmark progs favor certain cards and what not but is there a way that one can truely compare both cards on a level playing field? Open for all retals :)

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Maybe a mobile graphics solution that on to a mother board is the only thing that ATI can get workingbut

And the Lord Spoke to the people and said "You may kiss my holy ass!" Amen