continous loud beeps when computer starts up

when I start my computer, there is a continous beep and the screen stays
blank with just a flashing underscore, until I press a key then the beeps
stop and windows starts. Unfortunetely as I have to press a key, the command
'scan disk' is cancelled.

BIOS Beep Codes
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

--