Equipment Attachment

I have a questions about equipment attachment.

For example, the O-Naginata can only be attached to a creature with 3 or
more power.

Does this mean that if I attach it to a creature with say 3 power and
then it's power drops to 2, the equipment becomes "unattached" again?

Do you have to tap equipment to attach it? Also, it doesnt say that it
can only attach to one creature at a time, I dont think it's right, but
that suggests that all of my creatures could use it at the same time.

How do you unattach it? Just say so? Can you unattach it?

What happens if the creature is destroyed or removed from the game?
Does the equipment destroyed or removed also or does it simply become
unattached?

Thanks

Another question, how does Twincast work with regard to counterspells
since interrupts dont exist anymore. I figure it goes like this:

Spell
Counterspell
Twincast

Now resolve backwards.

Twincast resolves and becomes it's target spell and does some effect.
Then counterspell resolves and prevents the main spell from resolving.

What would happen if you cast something and then twin cast it and then
it was countered though?

Spell
Twincast
Counterspell

Counterspell resolves and kills the main spell. Then twincast resolves
and doesnt have a target to copy so it fails? Is this right?

Thanks again

Michael Beattie <mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>I have a questions about equipment attachment.

Okay. Works much like local-enchantment attachment, except you don't have to
bother with the part about being cast as a spell targetting the creature.

>For example, the O-Naginata can only be attached to a creature with 3 or
>more power.
>
>Does this mean that if I attach it to a creature with say 3 power and
>then it's power drops to 2, the equipment becomes "unattached" again?

Yes. Note that O-Naginata itself adds to the power of the creature, so it's
going to take something like Shrink, or like a previously-given bonus wearing
off, to cause this to happen.

>Do you have to tap equipment to attach it?

To -attach- it? No.

To use the "Equip" ability that all equipment has? No. Note that 'attaching'
the equipment merely means moving it onto the creature; the Equip ability does
that as it resolves. The -activation cost- of an "Equip N" activated ability
is "N:", so if you're getting it there by using Equip, you will not have to
tap the equipment in the process. "Equip N" is the same as "N: Move this
Equipment onto target creature you control. Play this ability only any time you
could play a sorcery.", and doesn't involve tapping the Equipment (or the
target creature, for that matter).

> Also, it doesnt say that it
>can only attach to one creature at a time, I dont think it's right, but
>that suggests that all of my creatures could use it at the same time.

Er, it can't be attached to more than one thing at a time. If you move it
onto a new creature, that will move it OFF of any creature it was previously
attached to. Only one creature, at most, can be what an Equipment is attached
to (or it could be attached to nothing at all).

>How do you unattach it? Just say so? Can you unattach it?

You cannot unattach it once it's attached. Other than by using Equip and
moving it to ANOTHER creatur, in which case it comes loose from the first one.
But in general, Equipment doesn't come with a way to unattach itself from
a creature and go back to being an Artifact sitting by itself not attached
to anything.

If you destroy the creature under it, or otherwise remove it from play, then
the Equipment will stay in play but become unattached.

>What happens if the creature is destroyed or removed from the game?

If the creature leaves play, or stops being a creature, the Equipment does
become unattached. But most Equipment doesn't come with a way to destroy
the creature it's sitting on or otherwise remove it from play, etc.

Dave

Michael Beattie <mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>Another question, how does Twincast work with regard to counterspells
>since interrupts dont exist anymore. I figure it goes like this:

Twincast can copy an Instant spell that counters something just fine. If
you do this, you can choose a new target for the copy as Twincast produces
it, including any of:
the original spell (if it's still there)
the original counterspell Twincast is making a copy of
Twincast itself (though this usually isn't at all useful)
any other spell that happens to be on the stack at the time Twincast is
resolving

Subject to the targetting conditions of the original (and copy), of course.

>Spell
>Counterspell
>Twincast
>
>Now resolve backwards.
>
>Twincast resolves and becomes it's target spell and does some effect.

Well, not quite. Twincast resolves and _makes a copy of_ the target spell.
The Twincast spell does not shift around, wiggle, morph, and turn into the
copy; the Twincast _makes_ a copy out of thin air, putting it on the stack on
top of the resolving Twincast, which then finishes resolving, leaves the stack,
and goes to owner's graveyard, making the copy "fall down a level" because
the Twincast vanished out from under it.

>Then counterspell resolves and prevents the main spell from resolving.

No. Then the _copy_ resolves, and counters whatever spell it targetted;
the original countering spell is UNDER the copy, so can't resolve until the
copy is dealt with.

If the copy targetted the original countering spell, which will be the case a
lot of the time when that spell's _opponent_ casts the Twincast, it will
counter the original, both will leave the stack (original first), then the
spell that started this all off is left on the stack by itself, and will
resolve if nothing further happens.

If the copy targetted the bottom spell, the one the original countering spell
also targets, it will counter that bottom spell, and what will be left on the
stack will be the original countering spell, which will itself get countered
on resolution because its target is missing.

And if the copy targetted some other spell, it won't interfere with the
original counterspell and its prey, the bottom spell; the original countering
spell will in this case counter that bottom spell.

>What would happen if you cast something and then twin cast it and then
>it was countered though?
>
>Spell
>Twincast
>Counterspell

Twincast targets the spell it will copy. So if someone counters the original
because its target is missing. If that someone waits for the Twincast to
resolve, then countering the original AFTER that won't do anything to the
already-existing copy (and countering the copy won't do anything to the
original).

>Counterspell resolves and kills the main spell. Then twincast resolves
>and doesnt have a target to copy so it fails? Is this right?

If done in that order, then yes, that's what happens. ("Gets countered",
not just "fails" - a spell that 'fails' is one that resolves but finds it
can't actually do anything out of what it was supposed to do.)

Dave

>>Also, it doesnt say that it
>>can only attach to one creature at a time, I dont think it's right, but
>>that suggests that all of my creatures could use it at the same time.
>

> Er, it can't be attached to more than one thing at a time. If you move it
> onto a new creature, that will move it OFF of any creature it was previously
> attached to. Only one creature, at most, can be what an Equipment is attached
> to (or it could be attached to nothing at all).

I was just asking because I didnt see anything in the rules that stated
that equipped stuff is moved on to a creature or whatever in the same
way that local enchantment are "on" a creature. That and the fact that
it's not like some older artifacts like Rune Sword that could be tapped
to give something more power and then stay tapped to keep that bonus.

Michael Beattie <mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> Er, it can't be attached to more than one thing at a time. If you move it
>> onto a new creature, that will move it OFF of any creature it was previously
>> attached to. Only one creature, at most, can be what an Equipment is attached
>> to (or it could be attached to nothing at all).
>
>I was just asking because I didnt see anything in the rules that stated
>that equipped stuff is moved on to a creature or whatever in the same
>way that local enchantment are "on" a creature. That and the fact that
>it's not like some older artifacts like Rune Sword that could be tapped
>to give something more power and then stay tapped to keep that bonus.

Glossary, "Move", covers this. (Why would you think to look there? Because
the definition of Equip -says- its effect is "Move this Equipment onto target
creature you control", so obviously the definition of "move/move onto" becomes
important in answering your question...)

Dave

One of the voices in my head - or was it Michael Beattie? - just said...
> I have a questions about equipment attachment.
>
> For example, the O-Naginata can only be attached to a creature with 3 or
> more power.
>
> Does this mean that if I attach it to a creature with say 3 power and
> then it's power drops to 2, the equipment becomes "unattached" again?

Yes, but note that thanks to O-Naginata's own ability this is unlikely
to happen.

(To clarify: the creature has to have a power of at least 3 WITHOUT O-N
to attach O-N in the first place. O-N will then become unattached if the
creature's power drops below 3, but for this purpose, you *do* get to
include the +3 O-N itself is adding.)

> Do you have to tap equipment to attach it?

No. If you did it would say so somewhere.

> Also, it doesnt say that it
> can only attach to one creature at a time, I dont think it's right, but
> that suggests that all of my creatures could use it at the same time.

It works the obvious way; it can only be attached to one creature at a
time. Equipping it to a different creature, by definition, unattaches it
from the creature it's on and attaches it to a different one, so it is
never on more than one creature.

> How do you unattach it? Just say so? Can you unattach it?

You can only unattach equipment by equipping it on some other creature,
or by playing a spell or ability that specifically says it unattaches it
(there are quite a few of these).

> What happens if the creature is destroyed or removed from the game?
> Does the equipment destroyed or removed also or does it simply become
> unattached?

It simply becomes unattached. This is the single biggest advantage of
equipment over local enchantments.

No big deal, but it probably would have been best to start a new thread
with this message rather than making it a reply, just so people don't
miss the fact that it's there.

One of the voices in my head - or was it Michael Beattie? - just said...
> Another question, how does Twincast work with regard to counterspells
> since interrupts dont exist anymore. I figure it goes like this:

Well, let's see what Twincast says, first of all:

Twincast (Saviours of Kamigawa rare)
UU
Instant
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the
copy.

> Spell
> Counterspell
> Twincast
>
> Now resolve backwards.
>
> Twincast resolves and becomes it's target spell and does some effect.
> Then counterspell resolves and prevents the main spell from resolving.

Right (unless Twincast was copying the counterspell, in which case it
would counter either the counter, if you switched targets, or the
original spell, if you didn't. And yes, even the last of these can be a
useful thing to do!)

> What would happen if you cast something and then twin cast it and then
> it was countered though?
>
> Spell
> Twincast
> Counterspell
>
> Counterspell resolves and kills the main spell. Then twincast resolves
> and doesnt have a target to copy so it fails? Is this right?

Correct again. Twincast would be countered because its target has become
illegal.

One of the voices in my head - or was it Jeff Heikkinen? - just said...

> No big deal, but it probably would have been best to start a new thread
> with this message rather than making it a reply, just so people don't
> miss the fact that it's there.
>
> One of the voices in my head - or was it Michael Beattie? - just said...
> > Another question, how does Twincast work with regard to counterspells
> > since interrupts dont exist anymore. I figure it goes like this:
>
> Well, let's see what Twincast says, first of all:
>
> Twincast (Saviours of Kamigawa rare)
> UU
> Instant
> Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the
> copy.
>
> > Spell
> > Counterspell
> > Twincast
> >
> > Now resolve backwards.
> >
> > Twincast resolves and becomes it's target spell and does some effect.
> > Then counterspell resolves and prevents the main spell from resolving.
>
> Right (unless Twincast was copying the counterspell, in which case it
> would counter either the counter, if you switched targets, or the
> original spell, if you didn't. And yes, even the last of these can be a
> useful thing to do!)

Actually, there is one technicality this misses. Twincast does not
become the copy; the copy is a separate entity. (This is different from
how Fork, the spell Twincast is based on, originally worked, but the
same as how Fork works now.) But the difference is seldom important; it
doesn't change the outcome of any of your examples, certainly.