Create System Restore Point Automatically

Hi

If I understand correctly Windows XP automatically creates a system restore
point every 24hrs.

This is fine if the computer is switched on but if it happens to be off
then it could be missed.

A friend of mine's laptop only seems to create restore points arbitrarily
so he can be using it for days on end without a restore point being
created?

Is there any way to define at what time of day a restore point is
automatically created? e.g. he knows that it is most likely that his
laptop will be on at 5:00pm every day.

TIA

--
Regards
Barry

Hi BJH,

Ramesh has answered you question, but I would just like to add some
information on why the System Restore may not be creating the
automatic restore points. See the link below.

System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srauto.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

BJH wrote:
> Hi
>
> If I understand correctly Windows XP automatically
> creates a system restore point every 24hrs.
>
> This is fine if the computer is switched on but if it
> happens to be off then it could be missed.
>
> A friend of mine's laptop only seems to create restore
> points arbitrarily so he can be using it for days on end
> without a restore point being created?
>
> Is there any way to define at what time of day a restore
> point is automatically created? e.g. he knows that it is
> most likely that his laptop will be on at 5:00pm every
> day.
>
> TIA

Hi Barry,

It's possible using WMI script. Here is a compiled program.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm

How To Use the System Restore Utility with Windows Management
Instrumentation in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295299

<quote>
To Create a System Restore Point:

set SRP = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")
CSRP = SRP.createrestorepoint ("this is a test", 0, 100)

</quote>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User