Creatures leaving combat

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Found this on another magic site:
Q: I have Lone Wolf equipped with Fireshrieker so it has Double Strike.
If it is blocked and the creature blocking it is destroyed in the first
strike combat damage step, can I have the Lone Wolf deal its normal
combat damage to the defending player.

A: No. It does not matter that Lone Wolf has the ability where it can
assign its combat damage to the defending player instead of the
creatures blocking it, if there are not blocking creatures still in
play when combat damage would be assigned then the attacking creature
will not deal any combat damage.

Is this because when you choose who the damage is assigned to, you
can't split up the double strike damage? Its either all to the player
or all to the creature.
Is this the same for trample? If I block a 300/300 trampler with a 1/1
and then unsummon my 1/1 will I take no damge?
If not, whats the difference?

Thanks.

Phil.

phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk <phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk> wrote:
>Found this on another magic site:
>Q: I have Lone Wolf equipped with Fireshrieker so it has Double Strike.
>If it is blocked and the creature blocking it is destroyed in the first
>strike combat damage step, can I have the Lone Wolf deal its normal
>combat damage to the defending player.

As currently worded, sure.

>A: No. It does not matter that Lone Wolf has the ability where it can
>assign its combat damage to the defending player instead of the
>creatures blocking it, if there are not blocking creatures still in
>play when combat damage would be assigned then the attacking creature
>will not deal any combat damage.

This is not at all correct. The attacking creature won't assign (not "deal")
any combat damage IF there is nowhere it can legally assign it to. You may
choose to have Lone Wolf assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked
any time it is about to assign combat damage. If it will assign combat damage
twice in one Combat phase, you choose independently each time. (If it is
blocking, this choice makes No Difference...)

If it assigns combat damage as though it weren't blocked, then it HAS a
legal place to assign it: straight to defending player (and that's the ONLY
legal place it has to assign it in this case).

>Is this because when you choose who the damage is assigned to, you
>can't split up the double strike damage? Its either all to the player
>or all to the creature.

Well, the answer given was wrong, so asking 'why is it this way' isn't going
to help you understand much; but for Lone Wolf, you either assign the damage
normally or assign it as though Lone Wolf weren't blocked, correct - it does
not normally have Trample, so you don't get the choice to "assign some to
blockers and some to defender", you can't "split it up", correct. But nothing
says "even if it's being assigned at two separate times you have to retain the
same choice you made for the first one the second time".

>Is this the same for trample? If I block a 300/300 trampler with a 1/1
>and then unsummon my 1/1 will I take no damge?

No. Trample is different from the Lone Wolf/Rhox/Pride of Lions/etc. ability.
Trample gives you an -extra- place to assign the combat damage - to defending
player - but only if you also assign lethal combat damage to all blockers of
the Trampling attacker. If there ARE no blockers, then you _automatically_
have assigned lethal damage to "all of them", so it's LEGAL to assign combat
damage to defender, so ALL the combat damage gets assigned there - you have no
other place to assign it and it's legal to assign it there, so you have to.
You will take 300 damage in the above case; hope you have an appropriate
Circle of Protection, or a Fog...

The Lone Wolf ability says "You can assign combat damage normally ... meaning
you can't aim any at defender if this creature is blocked and doesn't have
trample ... or you can assign it all straight to defending player ... meaning
you can't aim any at the blocking creatures. You choose.".

Dave

On 18 Jul 2005 11:07:50 -0700, Zarin <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk wrote:
>> Is this the same for trample? If I block a 300/300 trampler with a 1/1
>> and then unsummon my 1/1 will I take no damge?

>Depending on WHEN you unsummon your 1/1 (after or before the beginning
>of combat damage step) you'll take either 299 or 300 damage.

Your answer is correct, except there is no "beginning of combat damage" step.
There is a "beginning of combat" step, and there is a "combat damage" step
(sometimes two). Did you mean "after or before the combat damage step begins"?

Dave

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2005 11:07:50 -0700, Zarin <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk wrote:
> >> Is this the same for trample? If I block a 300/300 trampler with a 1/1
> >> and then unsummon my 1/1 will I take no damge?
>
> >Depending on WHEN you unsummon your 1/1 (after or before the beginning
> >of combat damage step) you'll take either 299 or 300 damage.
>
> Your answer is correct, except there is no "beginning of combat damage" step.
> There is a "beginning of combat" step, and there is a "combat damage" step
> (sometimes two). Did you mean "after or before the combat damage step begins"?

There is a "combat damage step", and it "begins" with the assignment of
combat damage. That "beginning" is the relevant time.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Thank you.
You have confirmed my understanding of trample and removed my confusion
about the erroneous ruling.
You have reassured me that I am not completely losing it.

Phil.