Problem with Outlook & IE favorites

Running XP. When I click on favorites in either Explorer or Outlook, the
favorite list displays normally, but I am unable to add new favorites
(nothing happens when clicking on add favorite). When I click on organize
favorites, a blank box opens, but all the text within is missing. I have
also noticed a couple other places when a popup box should appear but
doesn't. What is preventing these boxes from displaying?

Hi kjl,

Are you using the Favorites menu, or the Favorites Explorer bar in the left.
Both are different.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running XP. When I click on favorites in either Explorer or Outlook, the
> favorite list displays normally, but I am unable to add new favorites
> (nothing happens when clicking on add favorite). When I click on organize
> favorites, a blank box opens, but all the text within is missing. I have
> also noticed a couple other places when a popup box should appear but
> doesn't. What is preventing these boxes from displaying?

Ramesh:

The favorites menu from the standard toolbar, which when opened lists add to
favorites, organize favorites, followed by my list of favorites.

KJL

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi kjl,
>
> Are you using the Favorites menu, or the Favorites Explorer bar in the left.
> Both are different.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running XP. When I click on favorites in either Explorer or Outlook, the
> > favorite list displays normally, but I am unable to add new favorites
> > (nothing happens when clicking on add favorite). When I click on organize
> > favorites, a blank box opens, but all the text within is missing. I have
> > also noticed a couple other places when a popup box should appear but
> > doesn't. What is preventing these boxes from displaying?

Remesh:

I'm not sure I answered you very well in the previous post, but it is NOT
the Explorer bar on the left....although the problem may be evident there as
well. I'll have to check.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi kjl,
>
> Are you using the Favorites menu, or the Favorites Explorer bar in the left.
> Both are different.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running XP. When I click on favorites in either Explorer or Outlook, the
> > favorite list displays normally, but I am unable to add new favorites
> > (nothing happens when clicking on add favorite). When I click on organize
> > favorites, a blank box opens, but all the text within is missing. I have
> > also noticed a couple other places when a popup box should appear but
> > doesn't. What is preventing these boxes from displaying?

Kjl,

See if this explains the problem. If not, pls post back.

Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X" mark:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm

--

> Remesh:
>
> I'm not sure I answered you very well in the previous post, but it is NOT
> the Explorer bar on the left....although the problem may be evident there
> as
> well. I'll have to check.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi kjl,
>>
>> Are you using the Favorites menu, or the Favorites Explorer bar in the
>> left.
>> Both are different.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Running XP. When I click on favorites in either Explorer or Outlook,
>> > the
>> > favorite list displays normally, but I am unable to add new favorites
>> > (nothing happens when clicking on add favorite). When I click on
>> > organize
>> > favorites, a blank box opens, but all the text within is missing. I
>> > have
>> > also noticed a couple other places when a popup box should appear but
>> > doesn't. What is preventing these boxes from displaying?

Ramesh:

Yes, that describes the problem pretty well, although I don't see the red X.
I followed the instructions and typed regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll and it failed
with a return error code of 0xc0000005. I think I must be missing a file
that is affecting the commands boxes to add favorites and organize
favorites...by the way, the problem occurs when using both "top" and "left"
favorites.

kjl

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Kjl,
>
> See if this explains the problem. If not, pls post back.
>
> Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X" mark:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Remesh:
> >
> > I'm not sure I answered you very well in the previous post, but it is NOT
> > the Explorer bar on the left....although the problem may be evident there
> > as
> > well. I'll have to check.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi kjl,
> >>
> >> Are you using the Favorites menu, or the Favorites Explorer bar in the
> >> left.
> >> Both are different.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kjl,

0xc0000005 might be caused by access violation. Login as Administrator
(built-in) and run these commands:

regsvr32 /i shell32
regsvr32 /i shdocvw

--

> Ramesh:
>
> Yes, that describes the problem pretty well, although I don't see the red
> X.
> I followed the instructions and typed regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll and it
> failed
> with a return error code of 0xc0000005. I think I must be missing a file
> that is affecting the commands boxes to add favorites and organize
> favorites...by the way, the problem occurs when using both "top" and
> "left"
> favorites.
>
> kjl
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Kjl,
>>
>> See if this explains the problem. If not, pls post back.
>>
>> Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X" mark:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Remesh:
>> >
>> > I'm not sure I answered you very well in the previous post, but it is
>> > NOT
>> > the Explorer bar on the left....although the problem may be evident
>> > there
>> > as
>> > well. I'll have to check.

Ramesh:

Does logging in as administrator require anything "special"?

I restarted and typed regsvr32 /i shell32 and it succeeded. However, I
received the same error message as before when attempting to install shdocvw.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Kjl,
>
> 0xc0000005 might be caused by access violation. Login as Administrator
> (built-in) and run these commands:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32
> regsvr32 /i shdocvw
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ramesh:
> >
> > Yes, that describes the problem pretty well, although I don't see the red
> > X.
> > I followed the instructions and typed regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll and it
> > failed
> > with a return error code of 0xc0000005. I think I must be missing a file
> > that is affecting the commands boxes to add favorites and organize
> > favorites...by the way, the problem occurs when using both "top" and
> > "left"
> > favorites.
> >
> > kjl
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Kjl,
> >>
> >> See if this explains the problem. If not, pls post back.
> >>
> >> Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X" mark:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "kjl" <kjl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kjl,

I can't find any solid reference on Error: 0xc0000005 regarding Regsvr32.
I'd try extracting a new copy of Shdocvw.dll from XP CD / Service Pack
source path, and then re-register the module again.