Sign in with
Your question

rad 9800 pro or gf fx 5900 makes more heat?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2003 6:25:04 AM

I have a dell 8200...and the case has only one 80mm fan coverin the cpu...I was wonderin which card generated more heat? I dont want to pay xtra for more cooling...so i was wonderin which card generated more heat..i could always add in a pci fan for the rad...but not for the 5900 because all my slots would be full after the fan it comes with...Thanks..
August 6, 2003 6:37:02 AM

5900 is hotter. You don't have to worry for extra cooling unless you would overclock.

<b> Get the 9800 </b>

:cool: <font color=red><b>-----< < < NEXT POST PLEASE > > >-----</b></font color=red> :cool:
August 6, 2003 7:33:31 AM

Extra cooling "may" needed for that dell case if it is small(bad air flow).

So Radeon 9800p makes more sense. :smile:
Related resources
August 6, 2003 7:38:05 AM

i haven't notice that??

:cool: <font color=red><b>-----< < < NEXT POST PLEASE > > >-----</b></font color=red> :cool:
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2003 2:06:18 PM

Well if the case is small the card Probably wont fit in. I had a hard time to fit it in my Antec (<A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?Prod..." target="_new">http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?Prod...;/A>). As for cooling, I got 2 case fan in this case and even with leadtek's FX5900 major cooling system, the chip surface reached 70c after 1hour of pretty intense 3d gamming, the edge was around 60c tough...So i suggest you make sure that this 400usd card will indeed fit and wont get to warm in your system b4 you buy it.
August 6, 2003 5:48:41 PM

Well...my dell case is a mid tower case...and dell isnt really that great on airflow im guessing....would it make more sense to buy a pci slot fan for the radeon or an actual hsf?
August 6, 2003 5:54:39 PM

well u see, FX5900 might be hotter, but they have goddamn nice cooling systems, hence the Gainward one (drools) look at ATi it's got a puny little ugly fan on it's card and it doesn't even have cooling for ram

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2003 7:05:13 PM

A PCI fan could help, right under the Graphx card but I'd suggest more exhaust fan to get that warm air out of the case. Also I never had any Dell but if their internal layout is f****** up like compaq chances are that the card wont fit. My case is a mid tower plus and the extra power connector is touching one of my hds. If the card was 2millimeter longer it wouldnt fit...So again make sure its gonna fit.
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2003 7:44:08 PM

Yeah MMmmm, I see your Gainward and Raise you a Hercules! :tongue:

Ramsinks, Nice fan with COOLING blue LED. :cool: The eddition of the LED must make the fan better or else why do it? :wink:

I have a feeling, all kidding aside that the R9800Pro-256 might give the FX5900U a run for it's money in the mem. department. It would be interesting to see that. The last heat measures I saw (just ambient changes, not contact temps) involved an early 9800PRo and FX5900 combo. The FX5900U did lead to higher temps, but the R9800P-256 is definitely a different fish. Just ask jiffy, it gets kinda warm, eh!

Anywhoo, think if you're REALLY worried about heat for OCing I would say stick with the R9800PRo as it will do fairly well on the stock fan, which yes looks poor, but seems to do the job.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
August 6, 2003 7:58:52 PM

My (MSI) Geforce FX 5900 is currently at 44 degree centigrade and i live in a very warm, humid region.
!