Changing drive letters in XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
partitions on the old drives are fat 32.

I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
NOT want this.

I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.
in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

More about changing drive letters
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
    help if you can by using my referal link:
    http://www.pctech4free.com/def­ault.aspx?ref=59054

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    You could at least have the decency to create a new post..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "pctech" <avoidingthespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
    help if you can by using my referal link:
    http://www.pctech4free.com/def­ault.aspx?ref=59054

    Thanks in advance.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
    <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
    >logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
    >K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
    >partitions on the old drives are fat 32.
    >
    >I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
    >new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
    >the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
    >XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
    >NOT want this.
    >
    >I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
    >there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
    >Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
    >partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    If you change the drive letter of the system partition to something
    else, it will cause a lot of problems. A lot of system settings are
    now pointing to N: as the system drive and things will not work
    properly if the system drive letter is changed to C:. You can change
    the letter of the other drives using Disk Manager without any problem.

    The fastest way to fix this problem is to back up all your data and
    simply erase the new drive and install XP from scratch without any
    other drives in the system. Boot from the install CD and remove all
    partitions and then start again. This will take less time than trying
    to fix the mess from re-lettering. Also, there is no need at all for
    all of those logical partitions using a modern file system like NTFS.
    One big NTFS partition per physical hard disk works just fine.
    - -
    Gary L.
    Reply to the newsgroup only
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
    > <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
    > >logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
    > >K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
    > >partitions on the old drives are fat 32.
    > >
    > >I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
    > >new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
    > >the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
    > >XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
    > >NOT want this.

    Start over. Copying files rarely works 100%. Clone the drive instead.

    > >I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
    > >there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
    > >Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
    > >partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.
    >
    > If you change the drive letter of the system partition to something
    > else, it will cause a lot of problems. A lot of system settings are
    > now pointing to N: as the system drive and things will not work
    > properly if the system drive letter is changed to C:. You can change
    > the letter of the other drives using Disk Manager without any problem.

    Bullshit. He has to get the system drive back to C or D, because that's what
    setup originally found.

    > The fastest way to fix this problem is to back up all your data and
    > simply erase the new drive and install XP from scratch without any
    > other drives in the system. Boot from the install CD and remove all
    > partitions and then start again. This will take less time than trying
    > to fix the mess from re-lettering. Also, there is no need at all for
    > all of those logical partitions using a modern file system like NTFS.
    > One big NTFS partition per physical hard disk works just fine.

    Nonsense, no need to reinstall. The fastest way it simply use the drive cloning
    software available for his new drive.

    If the OP does start over, he should have FAT32 for Win98, NTFS for XP, and
    FAT32 for data.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
    > <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
    >>logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
    >>K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
    >>partitions on the old drives are fat 32.
    >>
    >>I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
    >>new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
    >>the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
    >>XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
    >>NOT want this.
    >>
    >>I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
    >>there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
    >>Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
    >>partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.
    >
    > If you change the drive letter of the system partition to something
    > else, it will cause a lot of problems. A lot of system settings are
    > now pointing to N: as the system drive and things will not work
    > properly if the system drive letter is changed to C:. You can change
    > the letter of the other drives using Disk Manager without any problem.

    > The fastest way to fix this problem is to back up all your data

    Best to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard if you're going to go this
    route.

    > and simply erase the new drive and install XP from scratch without any
    > other drives in the system. Boot from the install CD and remove all
    > partitions and then start again. This will take less time than trying
    > to fix the mess from re-lettering. Also, there is no need at all for
    > all of those logical partitions using a modern file system like NTFS.
    > One big NTFS partition per physical hard disk works just fine.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Start over. Copying files rarely works 100%. Clone the drive instead.

    I have never used any drive cloning software. Are there any good
    freeware drive cloning programs? Are there any good shareware drive
    cloning programs?
    in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
    it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote

    >> Start over. Copying files rarely works 100%. Clone the drive instead.

    > I have never used any drive cloning software. Are
    > there any good freeware drive cloning programs?

    No point when Ghost 2003 as part of SystemWorks
    Pro 2003 costs peanuts, literally, on ebay.

    > Are there any good shareware drive cloning programs?

    See above.

Windows XP