16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem error message

i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i have
tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is a
message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS
Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i have also
tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from her
computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do my uni
work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
THANKS :o)
4 answers Last reply
More about subsystem error message

    Hi

    Please see if the following article helps:

    "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
    Program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "prettygreeneyes_86" <prettygreeneyes_86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:AF0042BA-10D6-4587-A9C3-CAB86E919CF1@microsoft.com...
    >i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i
    >have
    > tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is a
    > message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS
    > Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i have
    > also
    > tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from her
    > computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
    > professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do my
    > uni
    > work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
    > THANKS :o)

    hi will
    thanks for the suggestion but i dont have a cd to put in the drive so that
    didnt really help much....if you can think of anything else please let me
    know :)

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please see if the following article helps:
    >
    > "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
    > Program"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups.
    >

    > "prettygreeneyes_86" <prettygreeneyes_86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:AF0042BA-10D6-4587-A9C3-CAB86E919CF1@microsoft.com...
    > >i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i
    > >have
    > > tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is a
    > > message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS
    > > Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i have
    > > also
    > > tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from her
    > > computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
    > > professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do my
    > > uni
    > > work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
    > > THANKS :o)

    Hi

    Have a look in the windows\repair folder for the appropriate file, then copy
    it to the windows\system32 folder.

    --

    message news:1A148D50-B616-4060-AAFC-82747084A4E7@microsoft.com...
    > hi will
    > thanks for the suggestion but i dont have a cd to put in the drive so that
    > didnt really help much....if you can think of anything else please let me
    > know :)
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please see if the following article helps:
    >>
    >> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows
    >> Based
    >> Program"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups.
    >>

    >> "prettygreeneyes_86" <prettygreeneyes_86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:AF0042BA-10D6-4587-A9C3-CAB86E919CF1@microsoft.com...
    >> >i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i
    >> >have
    >> > tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is
    >> > message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
    >> > MS
    >> > Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i
    >> > have
    >> > also
    >> > tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from
    >> > her
    >> > computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
    >> > professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do
    >> > my
    >> > uni
    >> > work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
    >> > THANKS :o)

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS Error Message Windows XP