16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem error message

March 11, 2005 10:25:03 AM

i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i have
tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is a
message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS
Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i have also
tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from her
computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do my uni
work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
THANKS :o )
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:33:07 PM

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"prettygreeneyes_86" <prettygreeneyes_86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:AF0042BA-10D6-4587-A9C3-CAB86E919CF1@microsoft.com...
>i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i
>have
> tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is a
> message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS
> Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i have
> also
> tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from her
> computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
> professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do my
> uni
> work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
> THANKS :o )
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:33:08 PM

hi will
thanks for the suggestion but i dont have a cd to put in the drive so that
didnt really help much....if you can think of anything else please let me
know :)

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
> Program"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "prettygreeneyes_86" <prettygreeneyes_86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:AF0042BA-10D6-4587-A9C3-CAB86E919CF1@microsoft.com...
> >i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i
> >have
> > tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is a
> > message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS
> > Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i have
> > also
> > tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from her
> > computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
> > professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do my
> > uni
> > work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
> > THANKS :o )

March 11, 2005 7:04:21 PM

Hi

Have a look in the windows\repair folder for the appropriate file, then copy
it to the windows\system32 folder.

--

message news:1A148D50-B616-4060-AAFC-82747084A4E7@microsoft.com...
> hi will
> thanks for the suggestion but i dont have a cd to put in the drive so that
> didnt really help much....if you can think of anything else please let me
> know :)
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following article helps:
>>
>> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows
>> Based
>> Program"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>

>> "prettygreeneyes_86" <prettygreeneyes_86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:AF0042BA-10D6-4587-A9C3-CAB86E919CF1@microsoft.com...
>> >i need to use a program called "Turbo C" for one of my courses at uni. i
>> >have
>> > tried downloading it with the instructions but all i can seem to get is
>> > message saying "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
>> > MS
>> > Windows Applications. choose close to terminate the application." i
>> > have
>> > also
>> > tried accessing the program from a floppy that my friend copied from
>> > her
>> > computer, but i just end up with the same message. i'm using windows xp
>> > professional and i REALLY need to get this program to work so i can do
>> > my
>> > uni
>> > work, so any help would be MUCH appreciated!
>> > THANKS :o )

March 11, 2005 7:04:22 PM

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

!