graveyard summoning sickness

my friend and i are having quite a heated debated about certain
interactions with his new deck

1) can he return a creature card from a graveyard and attack with it, i.e.
does it have summoning sickness?

2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?

3) he trys to play the ability of corpse harvester, can i kill the
creature he has chosen to sacrifice, so he wont get corpse harvesters
effect?

4) is there something i can do to stop someone moaning all the time?

now for my deck

5) if i WoG will it kill my pristine angel?

6) i have exalted angel equiped with loxodon warhammer, i think i only
gain 7 life, but my friends insist since there are two cards i gain 14
life. but that seems daft to me... meh

7) does an equipment card (or enchant creature card) retarget the
creature?

8) in a multiplayer game with about 5 other players can horobi stay on the
field long enough to attack with it, lol?

my answers, or what i think are right answers:

1)no, because the creature hasnt been under his control since the
beginning of the turn
2)no, because that would be sick and wrong
3)yes i can kill the creature, and the harvesters ability will be
countered for lack of target
4)no, its a universal law of magic, your allowed to moan
5)i have no idea
6)i think i only gain 7 life
7)i am fairly certain i have heard of this happening
8)no, because everyone doesnt like there creatures to disappear instant,
so the kill horobi instead

maybe this will settle the argument, heh
zhambah :D

Zhambah <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:

> my friend and i are having quite a heated debated about certain
> interactions with his new deck
>
> 1) can he return a creature card from a graveyard and attack with it, i.e.
> does it have summoning sickness?

He can't attack with it until he has started a turn with it under his
control (or given it haste).

212.3d A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol in its
activation cost can't be played unless the creature has been under its
controller's control since the start of his or her most recent turn. A
creature can't attack unless it has been under its controller's control
since the start of his or her most recent turn. This rule is informally
called the "summoning sickness" rule. Ignore this rule for creatures
with haste (see rule 502.5).

> 2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?

Regeneration doesn't interfere with a sacrifice. Regeneration only
interferes with destruction.

Sacrifice
To sacrifice a permanent, its controller moves it from the in-play zone
directly to its owner's graveyard. A player can't sacrifice something
that isn't a permanent, or something that's a permanent he or she
doesn't control. If an effect instructs a player to sacrifice a
permanent that he or she doesn't control, nothing happens. Sacrificing a
permanent doesn't destroy it, so regeneration or other effects that
replace destruction can't affect it.

> 3) he trys to play the ability of corpse harvester, can i kill the
> creature he has chosen to sacrifice, so he wont get corpse harvesters
> effect?

No, you can't kill something that is already in the graveyard.

> now for my deck
>
> 5) if i WoG will it kill my pristine angel?

Yes, why wouldn't it?

> 6) i have exalted angel equiped with loxodon warhammer, i think i only
> gain 7 life, but my friends insist since there are two cards i gain 14
> life. but that seems daft to me... meh

When Exalted Angel deals damage, two abilities will trigger: The one
printed on it, and the one granted by Loxodon Warhammer. Each will give
you 7 life.

> 7) does an equipment card (or enchant creature card) retarget the
> creature?

A local-enchantment permanent doesn't target anything. An Equipment
permanent doesn't target anything.

415.3. Local-enchantment spells are always targeted, even though they
don't use the phrase "target [something]." They target the permanent or
player they will enchant. A local-enchantment permanent doesn't target
anything; only the spell is targeted. An activated or triggered ability
of the local-enchantment permanent can be targeted.
Neither Equipment spells nor Equipment permanents target
anything. The equip ability is targeted; see rule 502.33, "Equip." An
activated or triggered ability of an Equipment permanent can be
targeted.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:42:54 -0400, Zhambah <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:
>my friend and i are having quite a heated debated about certain
>interactions with his new deck
>
>1) can he return a creature card from a graveyard and attack with it, i.e.
>does it have summoning sickness?

The only ways NOT to have what used to be called "summoning sickness"
are a) to have Haste, or b) to phase in. Any way of coming in to play
other than phasing in (which only exists on cards from Mirage block,
several years ago by now) means the permanent is coming in 'sick'. (Only
creatures are _affected_ by being 'sick'.)

The actual rule reads

212.3d A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol in its activation
cost can't be played unless the creature has been under its controller's
control since the start of his or her most recent turn. A creature can't attack
unless it has been under its controller's control since the start of his or her
most recent turn. This rule is informally called the "summoning sickness" rule.
Ignore this rule for creatures with haste (see rule 502.5).

Note that the rule doesn't care whether it's been a -creature- that whole
time, just whether the permanent has been under its controller's control
that whole time. Nobody controls cards in a graveyard, so a card that's
been put from the graveyard into play wasn't under its controller's control
while in the graveyard, so has to wait until it's STARTED its controller's
turn under their control before it's able to even think about attacking.

>2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?

No.

He can regenerate it before he sacrifices it just fine ... but since
sacrificing something DOES NOT DESTROY it, the regeneration shield will in
NO way stop the permanent from going to the graveyard because it was
sacrificed. In other words, if he tries this, he's wasting the regeneration
shield AND doesn't stop the sacrifice at all.

>3) he trys to play the ability of corpse harvester, can i kill the
>creature he has chosen to sacrifice, so he wont get corpse harvesters
>effect?

Nope. (Sorry.) He taps the Corpse Harvester and sacrifices the creature
while he is announcing the ability. If he is playing the ability, HE had
priority just before announcing it, NOT you (he can't play it unless he
has priority). During the announcement, NOBODY has priority. You are unable
to do anything at all while he is announcing a spell or ability (and vice
versa, for ones you announce). You will be unable to take any actions
until he -passes- after finishing the announcement; he can announce more
spells or abilities, or take special actions, before passing, too. By the
time you get priority and can announce a spell or ability yourself, the
creature will already have been sacrificed some time back.

In short: player A is NOT ALLOWED to try to interfere with the announcement
of a spell or ability player B is currently announcing. The rules don't let
you; Magic is not a game of Slap, where the player who shouts first and
loudest gets to do what they want.

>4) is there something i can do to stop someone moaning all the time?

The rules of Magic don't cover this. You might try letting them know you
won't play with them if they keep doing that (or, depending on the age
of the player, you might involve their parents...). If it's the Magic cards
that are moaning, I'm afraid I have no solution at all for you...

>5) if i WoG will it kill my pristine angel?

Yes. Being indestructible - "this can't be destroyed" will make Wrath of
God unable to affect a creature. Having protection from White will NOT stop
Wrath of God, as Wrath of God isn't damaging, enchanting or equipping,
blocking, or targetting the Angel, and that's all that protection from
White can help you with.

>6) i have exalted angel equiped with loxodon warhammer, i think i only
>gain 7 life, but my friends insist since there are two cards i gain 14
>life. but that seems daft to me... meh

Not "because there are two cards". "Because there are two separate triggered
abilities". The Angel has a triggered ability "Whenever ~ deals damage, you
gain that much life."; Loxodon Warhammer says "Equipped creature gets +3/+0,
has trample, and has "Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain that much
life.".", so is giving the Angel "Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain
that much life." alongside the ability it already had. This means the Angel
has TWO triggered abilities, both of which trigger each time it deals damage,
and both of which go on the stack; both will resolve separately, and since the
7/5 Angel is dealing 7 combat damage, both will cause you to gain 7 life.
7 + another 7 = 14.

>7) does an equipment card (or enchant creature card) retarget the creature?

Not while it's in play sitting on it, no. An enchant-creature SPELL being
cast targets the creature that the enchantment will get attached to; once
it's resolved and put the enchantment in play on the creature, the
enchantment is "enchanting" it, or "attached to" it, but is not targetting
anything. Similarly, the Equip ability of an equipment targets the creature
you control that the ability will move the equipment onto... but once it's
moved the equipment onto it, the equipment itself is NOT targetting it,
it's just "equipping" or 'attached to' it.

Your actual question is probably something like "If I use something on this
creature that says it can't be the target of spells or abilities, does that
make equipment or local enchantments fall off it?", and no, that doesn't make
that happen. Something that says the creature can't be -enchanted- would
make enchantments fall off it; something that says it can't be -equipped-
would make equipment on it fall off. But just 'can't be the target of
spells or abilities' won't do this.

>8) in a multiplayer game with about 5 other players can horobi stay on the
>field long enough to attack with it, lol?

Sure ... if you are good at diplomacy and/or have enough other threats out
that Horobi is not their first priority. But that's a .strategy topic, not
a .rules one...

>my answers, or what i think are right answers:

Oh good.

>1)no, because the creature hasnt been under his control since the
>beginning of the turn

Correct.

>2)no, because that would be sick and wrong

Right answer, wrong reason...

>3)yes i can kill the creature, and the harvesters ability will be
>countered for lack of target

Nope - sorry.

>4)no, its a universal law of magic, your allowed to moan

Depending on the moaning, it might get into Unsportsmanlike Conduct. However,
that's something the tournament rules have to deal with, not the game rules.

>5)i have no idea

A perfectly correct (though not very useful, alas) answer...

>6)i think i only gain 7 life

You gain 14 life, because each ability triggers and resolves separately and
each one gives you 7.

>7)i am fairly certain i have heard of this happening

Nope.

>8)no, because everyone doesnt like there creatures to disappear instant,
>so the kill horobi instead

It can happen. I've seen Timmy ... I mean Ertai, Wizard Adept ... live for
two times around the table even, and once even saw him attack...

Dave

thank you all for replying and clearing those questions up
i now know that global effects kill protected creatures, and i know that i
can't kill creatures on stack if they have already been sacked as part of
the activation costs.
hmmm these "new" rules will shake up our group, no doubt i will get blamed
for not knowing the correct rulings. ah well.
oh one (actually two) more thing, that i forgot to ask:
1) a blinding angel with fireshrieker deals damage to an opponent, will
the opponent skip 1 or 2 combat steps?

2) i have a kokusho the broken star our, and play another one, will i gain
one lot of life or two?

as usual my answers:
1) the oponent skips two combat steps because it deals combat damage twice
therefore skipping his next 2 combat steps

2) i gain two lots of life, please clear this up, as my friends wont
believe me.

p.s. really ertai... two turns? was he hiding underneath another card?

Zhambah <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:

> thank you all for replying and clearing those questions up
> i now know that global effects kill protected creatures, and i know that i
> can't kill creatures on stack if they have already been sacked as part of
> the activation costs.
> hmmm these "new" rules will shake up our group, no doubt i will get blamed
> for not knowing the correct rulings. ah well.
> oh one (actually two) more thing, that i forgot to ask:
> 1) a blinding angel with fireshrieker deals damage to an opponent, will
> the opponent skip 1 or 2 combat steps?

2.

419.6e Skipping an action, step, phase, or turn is a replacement effect.
"Skip [something]" is the same as "Instead of doing [something], do
nothing." Once a step, phase, or turn has started, it can no longer be
skipped--any skip effects will wait until the next occurrence.

419.6f Anything scheduled for a skipped step, phase, or turn won't
happen. Anything scheduled for the "next" occurrence of something waits
for the first occurrence that isn't skipped. If two effects each cause a
player to skip his or her next occurrence, that player must skip the
next two; one effect will be satisfied in skipping the first occurrence,
while the other will remain until another occurrence can be skipped.

> 2) i have a kokusho the broken star our, and play another one, will i gain
> one lot of life or two?

2. Both go to the graveyard, so both leaves-play abilities trigger.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net
http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W

gil-galad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

Zhambah wrote:
> my friend and i are having quite a heated debated about certain
> interactions with his new deck
>
> 1) can he return a creature card from a graveyard and attack with it, i.e.
> does it have summoning sickness?

It does have summonning sickness unless stated otherwise ie creature has
haste or the card bringing back the creature give haste.

> 2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?

No. If you could, then the effect requiring a sacrifice would be countered.

> 3) he trys to play the ability of corpse harvester, can i kill the
> creature he has chosen to sacrifice, so he wont get corpse harvesters
> effect?

No. Once he sacrifice the creature is gone, and if you did that before
he activated corpse harvester he could still activate and sacrifice
the creature before you could send it to the graveyard.

The creature is sent to the graveyard as soon as the ability is
activated. It does not use the stack.

> 4) is there something i can do to stop someone moaning all the time?

:)

> now for my deck
>
> 5) if i WoG will it kill my pristine angel?

WoG is not a targeting effect, so you pristine angel is not protected.

> 6) i have exalted angel equiped with loxodon warhammer, i think i only
> gain 7 life, but my friends insist since there are two cards i gain 14
> life. but that seems daft to me... meh

If a creature has trigger Ability and a card gives to that creature
again the same ability again. Then when the that ability will trigger it
will trigger for each instance of that ability.

> 7) does an equipment card (or enchant creature card) retarget the
> creature?

Attaching or enchanting a permanent is a targeting effect. Once the
permanent is attached or enchanted then it doesn't target.

> 8) in a multiplayer game with about 5 other players can horobi stay on the
> field long enough to attack with it, lol?

It did once in a game I played. But usually no. :)

wrote:

>my friend and i are having quite a heated debated about certain
>interactions with his new deck
>
>1) can he return a creature card from a graveyard and attack with it, i.e.
>does it have summoning sickness?

has he controlled it scince the start of his turn? if not he cannot
attack or use its abilities with a T: in the cost

>2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?

regeneration replaces the descruction of the thing with remove from
combat, tap and remove all damage.

>3) he trys to play the ability of corpse harvester, can i kill the
>creature he has chosen to sacrifice, so he wont get corpse harvesters
>effect?

All costs are paid during anouncement of a spell, the sacrificied
creature is in the graveyard by the time you can do anything.

>4) is there something i can do to stop someone moaning all the time?

stop playing with them. or let them win more often.

>now for my deck
>
>5) if i WoG will it kill my pristine angel?

DEBT:
does Wog do Damage to the pristine angel?
does Wog enchant/equip the pa?
is Wog trying to block the pa?
does the Wog target the pa?

No, so pa gets affected like all other creatures

>6) i have exalted angel equiped with loxodon warhammer, i think i only
>gain 7 life, but my friends insist since there are two cards i gain 14
>life. but that seems daft to me... meh

both life gain abilities trigger each time it deals damage so you gain
7 life twice

>7) does an equipment card (or enchant creature card) retarget the
>creature?

the equip ability always targets the creature, but attaching may or
may not.

>8) in a multiplayer game with about 5 other players can horobi stay on the
>field long enough to attack with it, lol?

wrong message board, thats a strategy question, and yes it can happen
when each opponent has many repeatable targeters (so no one with risk
starting the cascading creature destruction)

Gareth Pye <gareth@gpsatsys.com.au> wrote:
>"Zhambah" <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?
>
>regeneration replaces the descruction of the thing with remove from
>combat, tap and remove all damage.

Which, while a correct answer, doesn't actually help him; he also needs
to know that sacrificing something does NOT destroy it, so doesn't allow
regeneration to replace the sacrifice.

Dave

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:05:33 -0400, Zhambah <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:
>thank you all for replying and clearing those questions up
>i now know that global effects kill protected creatures,

Careful, still. If it's trying to damage the creature? Protection can still
help against that.

>and i know that i
>can't kill creatures on stack if they have already been sacked as part of
>the activation costs.

Right. Costs are paid on announcement, at the start of the spell or
ability's life cycle, before anyone can respond (including the player who's
playing the spell or ability); effects wait until resolution to happen,
-after- all responses have been dealt with. You can't interfere with paying
costs.

>hmmm these "new" rules will shake up our group, no doubt i will get blamed
>for not knowing the correct rulings. ah well.

You may want to use Google to track down the FAQ that gets posted here every
week or so; you may also simply want to go over to the WotC website and look
through the Comprehensive Rulebook, on the webpage
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/tourneyplayer
at the top. Note that there is a NEW RULEBOOK just now out, which is partly
why I'm not giving the direct link as usual; this is the first 9E rulebook,
and you'll notice among other things that it talks about "Auras" instead of
"local enchantments", and has a new section on multiplayer rules...

>oh one (actually two) more thing, that i forgot to ask:
>1) a blinding angel with fireshrieker deals damage to an opponent, will
>the opponent skip 1 or 2 combat steps?

Well, how many times did the Angel deal damage to the opponent? (And I assume
here, though you didn't specify, that you're talking about COMBAT damage, not
damage from an unmentioned Fire Whip or an unmentioned Fling or the like.) Two,
usually, because Fireshrieker gave it double strike, so that there were two
combat-damage steps, in each one of which the Angel assigned and dealt damage.
(You also mentioned no blockers so I'm assuming this is an unblocked Angel.)
That means the Angel's ability triggers once in each of those steps, and
resolves once in each, hitting the opponent with a total of two "skip your
next combat phase" (not "step" - there's five steps in each Combat phase)
prevention effects. This means the opponent will end up skipping their next
TWO Combat phases; when they try to start their next one, one of the "skip
this instead" effects will apply, making them skip it, leaving nothing for
the other one to apply to. The other one will thus wait around until the NEXT
time that opponent tries to start a combat phase, and will make him skip -that-
one.

>2) i have a kokusho the broken star our, and play another one, will i gain
>one lot of life or two?

Both are legendary creatures, so right after Brokusho #2 comes into play, the
game checks for state-based effects and makes them both go POP into the
graveyard. Both have an ability that triggers when the creature goes to the
graveyard, so both will trigger; both abilities will get put on the stack.
In this case the order doesn't matter, but if it did, you as the controller
of both abilities would decide their order on the stack. (If one Kokusho was
opponent's and one was yours, then active player's would go on the stack first,
with nonactive player's put on the stack on top of that, so that nonactive
player's resolved FIRST, making active player lose life and nonactive player
gain it _before_ nonactive player lost life and active player gained it.)
Each will resolve separately, so first each opponent loses 5 life and you
gain that much life total, then a second time each opponent loses 5 life and
you gain that much life total. So you gain two "lots" of life.

>as usual my answers:
>1) the oponent skips two combat steps because it deals combat damage twice
>therefore skipping his next 2 combat steps

Right.

>2) i gain two lots of life, please clear this up, as my friends wont
>believe me.

Right. Both Kokushos trigger; both go on the stack; neither ability manages
to counter the other one, or get countered by anything; thus BOTH RESOLVE.

Your friends may be thinking "the second Kokusho never makes it into play
at all but goes straight to the graveyard"; that's NOT correct. The duplicate
legend rule only applies when there's more than one of a legendary permanent
with the same name IN PLAY; it doesn't apply to one "about to come into play".
So BOTH are in play at the time they go to the graveyard, both have their
abilities, so both trigger...

>p.s. really ertai... two turns? was he hiding underneath another card?

He was being quiet like bug to avoid being crushed like bug. Plus Jym had
backup in his hand to deal with people trying to do things to his Timmy,
Power Counterer...

Dave

"Zhambah" <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> my friend and i are having quite a heated debated about certain
> interactions with his new deck
>
> 1) can he return a creature card from a graveyard and attack with it, i.e.
> does it have summoning sickness?

Simply put, a creature that has just come into play has summoning sickness
unless it has Haste. It doesn't matter whether it was played, brought into
play by Elvish Piper, Aether Vial, reanimated with Ink-Eyes, or whatever.
All the rules still apply unless the creature brought into play says
otherwise, or unless the method used (Corpse Dance, for example) says
otherwise.

> 2) can he sacrifice a creature and regenerate it?

No. Regeneration only prevents 'destroy' effects, such as by lethal damage
or Vindicate/Desert Twister. Sacrificing a creature is not the same as
destroying it, so it can't regenerate from it.

> 3) he trys to play the ability of corpse harvester, can i kill the
> creature he has chosen to sacrifice, so he wont get corpse harvesters
> effect?

Corpse Harvester
3BB
Creature - Zombie Wizard
3/3
1B, T, Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a Zombie card and a
Swamp card, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your
library.

No. By the time you get a chance to respond to your friend announcing the
use of the ability, the cost has already been paid, and the creature is
already in the graveyard. Your best bet to stop something like this is
something that can counter an activated ability - Stifle comes to mind.

> 4) is there something i can do to stop someone moaning all the time?

Sure, although how to go about doing so is beyond the scope of this
newsgroup. It also depends on why they're moaning. But that's another story.

> now for my deck
>
> 5) if i WoG will it kill my pristine angel?

Pristine Angel has protection from all colours and from artifacts as long as
it is untapped. Protection from X means it can't be damaged,
enchanted/equipped, blocked, or targetted by anything that is X. Wrath of
God doesn't damage, enchant, equip, block, or target anything; it simply
says 'Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.' Thus, it will get
rid of your Angel.

> 6) i have exalted angel equiped with loxodon warhammer, i think i only
> gain 7 life, but my friends insist since there are two cards i gain 14
> life. but that seems daft to me... meh

Exalted Angel says you gain life for each point of damage it deals. Loxodon
Warhammer says you gain life for each point of damage the equipped creature
deals. When an Angel with a Hammer equipped deals damage, both abilities go
on the stack, as they are both triggered abilities. If you live long enough
to see them resolve, you will gain life from each one. So, assuming nothing
else is involved, your Angel deals 7 damage (4/5 +3/+0 = 7/5 = power of 7),
the Angel's lifegain ability and the Hammer's lifegain ability go on the
stack (you choose the order since you control both), and if both resolve,
you gain 7 life for each one, totalling 14.

> 7) does an equipment card (or enchant creature card) retarget the
> creature?

If memory serves me right, and I'm sure Dave or someone else will correct me
here :) equipping targets the creature it will equip when you play the
ability, and local enchantments target when you play them. Once either is
attached to a permanent, they no longer target whatever they're on.

> 8) in a multiplayer game with about 5 other players can horobi stay on the
> field long enough to attack with it, lol?

Depends how well you can control the board and what alliances you can pull,
even if only temporary. :)

> my answers, or what i think are right answers:

And my call on your answers:

> 1)no, because the creature hasnt been under his control since the
> beginning of the turn

Correct.

> 2)no, because that would be sick and wrong

Half right. Sacrificing is not destroying, so you can't regenerate from it.

> 3)yes i can kill the creature, and the harvesters ability will be
> countered for lack of target

Wrong. There is no targeting in the ability, and costs don't target. The
creature is already dead by the time you can do anything about it.

> 4)no, its a universal law of magic, your allowed to moan

Well, it's not a universal law by any means, and in some cases you can
actually appeal to a judge about it if it's disruptive.

> 5)i have no idea

Now you do. Wrath of God will get rid of any and all creatures, save those
that are Indestructible (because they can't be destroyed), regardless of
protection because Wrath of God does nothing that protection helps against.

> 6)i think i only gain 7 life

You do, but you get it twice, for a net of 14, barring something like
Stifle.

> 7)i am fairly certain i have heard of this happening

When the enchantment spell or equip ability is played, sure. Afterwards, no.

> 8)no, because everyone doesnt like there creatures to disappear instant,
> so the kill horobi instead

Given the chaotic nature of multiplayer, anything can happen. You never
know, you might get lucky. :)

Erich