Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
How the HELL does ATI keep their business?! I've tried 3 different ATI products and all three have failed to work. nVidia products work like a charm! ATI's tech support knows less about computers than I do and they're such sticklers about product numbers and such!How do they stay in business? I just don't understand, I mean it seems that their hardware is pretty good . They just couldn't program software if their life depended on it! I know nVidia the cheated upon a benchmark , but at least their products work . ATI Can tell of the fastest benchmark in the entire world , but what good is it if their product crashes computers?! I will never recommend an ATI card to anybody ever again!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by draiko on 08/06/03 08:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
You sounded like been payed by Nvidia just to spam forums and scare newbies to not buy ATI cards :tongue: .

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
With the experience that I've had with ATI cards , I'm doing it for free . Think of it as a public service . You all can think the later !

And the Lord Spoke to the people and said "You may kiss my holy ass!" Amen

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
hehe.. how about your system could be incompatible to the ati cards by some reason? :D

uhm, i had the same with all nvidia cards, so what? don't blame nvidia because the system itself is instable and ati works on it.. don't blame ati because yours is unstable with ati cards..

oh, and reading the mobility reviews of both nvidia and ati, you'll see that nvidia crashes while ati doesn't..

yes, ati cards are good, and yes, in a proper system, they run perfectly stable.. i have enough proof of that..

and no, current nvidia drivers are neighter reliable nor stable on much systems.. they just have tons of driverversions, one will be stable on each system i guess.. :D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
See, I wouldn't be complaining if it wasn't for the fact that I've tried three ATI graphics products in four different computers and when configuration was tested before . The reset up is using the latest proper ATI drivers along with updated bios and completely updated drivers for all components . I've also worked as a computer technician and countless systems came in with problems stemming from ATI graphics products . Nice try, but when I make a statement like this I make sure I can back it up . nVidia may have their problems , but at least their product works on 80 to 90 percent of hardware out there . It's terrible that they cheated on the benchmark , all I had to do was to show the public how horrible real life experiences with and use of their competitors product can be and tout their superior stability .

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
So you cant get ATI cards to work. No need to generalise that into ATI sucking. What systems have you tried the cards in?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6790821" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1065087" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
what ati cards you tried? and what systems..

your RealLife(tm) eXPiriences are WAY OFF what normal real life shows up.. i'm interested in the reason for this..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
ATI Radeon 7500
ATI TV Wonder VE
ATI All-in-Wonder VE

with all versions of catalyst and MMC apps + components on rigs with Asus and Intel mom boards... little room for error there

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
that's funny, from what I've seen just searching for problems with graphics cards, more people seem to comment about ATI's ability to create useless drivers and software . Most nvidia's problems the have been solved by newer driver revisions while ATI's problems still persist . Their tech support is absolutely useless , offering no further information other than that on their FAQs.

cleeve

Illustrious
As a person who runs a side business assembling PC's, I have to say my experience has been entirely the opposite of yours.

I have put together many systems with Rage 128s, Radeon 7500s, 8500s, and 9500s with absolutely no problems at all.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I've been using ATI cards for so long time, from the old ATI Rage Pro, Radeon SDR, and then now Radeon8500, all of three cards work with different system I had, from AMD K6-2, Celeron to now, Athlon XP
and they work Perfectly..no problem at all

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, same here. I've been using ATI cards since their 2D Xpression Mach64 cards. No problems here.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Then maybe you can tell me why both the TV wonder and the all in wonder VE cause a celeron running on an Intel i810e with a 1.4 ghz celeron, no add-on cards, built in Intel graphics card disabled, running Windows XP Pro w/ Direct X 9.0b, SP1, all updates installed, no special software except ATI catalyst 3.6, newest DAO, windows media encoder, and ATI MMC 8.5 (also tried all other versions of the catalyst and MMC) keeps rebooting when the TV app runs. Or maybe why a TV wonder VE keeps locking up on an AsRock K7vm2 (made by Asus) with the same setup. Don't even get me started on my computer, an Asus A7A266 (yes I know about the volatile nature of the ALI magik chipset and ATI cards) and the other Intel P3 rig, plus the old Radeon and the Dell R400. I couldn't find a reason, neither could ATI tech support... think you can, hot shot?!

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
heh... we usually used the ID 10-T user error comment

cleeve

Illustrious
So you're condemning an entire company's product lineup because you have a problem with the wonder cards?

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but maybe blacklisting the company isn't the answer. Try asking around on the boards first. IN fact, try asking around at Rage3d.com, where there are boards just for the TV wonder and AIW products.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I'd still have these questions about your install,

BTW, if you haven't tried ALL of these things I list below, you aren't a very good technician...no offense, but if you haven't tried all of these then you need to give em a go:

1. Virus software disabled when you installed the drivers?
2. ALL applications quit when you installed it?
3. Previous video card drivers uninstalled?

4. If all these first three have taken place, did you let microsoft install its generic drivers when you rebooted? If yes, that could affect things as well. I would have rebooted into safe mode as to not install the generic driver. Then I'd go to Windows/System32 directory, and delete all the files that start with AT on them. After this I would reinstall the new drivers and reboot. This could solve the problem.

Side note for #4: See the old drivers from ATI don't uninstall themselves the whole way (one of the problems from ATI in its driver error prone starting up days). One has to manually uninstall some of the files...especially with the old cards that you are using in this example.

5. Another option is to install the driver manually with an extraction application instead of the default ATI package. This way you can actually 'see' the files going into the directories they are supposed to go into.

6. Another option would be to use a NTFSDOS boot disk to browse the harddrive on reboot and manually delete the ATI drivers. Then take the extracted files for the new drivers and put them in place...all from the DOS prompt.

I know it all sounds like a bit much...but I did more work at trying to get my GF2 TI card Overclocked than these 6 things would generate. I also have no doubt that I could get those three cards working on any computer you gave me within a couple of hours. Perhaps I've been in the biz a bit more or perhaps my mind works less linear than most, but I'd say if you didn't try all of these things you didn't do your best to get the cards up and running. Give me some more time, I'll think of some more things as well...I had to go off the top of my head with those six.

Regards,

<font color=red>Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems. </font color=red>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I'll have to give numbers 4-6 a try today. One thing, you had your problems OVERCLOCKING an nVidia card, I have to do all of this footwork in order to EVEN GET THIS CARD TO WORK! How can a company even sell a card that doesn't work right out of the box. I don't know about you, but when I buy a graphics card, pay for the hardware AND the software. High benchmarks are USELESS unless the hardware actually RUNS! I'm tired of the industry thinking they can put out products that just don't work, they don't even consider the poor non-enthusiast consumers or people unfamiliar with the individual tweaks of their cards and software. That's Bad Business in my book. I'm not saying that nVidia's business practices are any better, the benchmark cheating and all their SEC insider trading violations hardly make them angels, but at least they put out a well-performing product that works out of the box for over 90% of their consumers. In this case, nVidia is the MUCH lesser of two evils.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I call bullshit.

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
both were overrated and ATI still sucks

And the Lord Spoke to the people and said "You may kiss my holy ass!" Amen<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Draiko on 08/06/03 01:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Yeah well my 1 year old 9700pro wipes the floor with 90% of anything else thats out there in terms of performance and stability. Not 1 problem hardware or software related in this time, except for me trying to run it on a 300w generic psu with 2 hdisks,2 cdroms and a pally xp :)

My past systems have involved a geforce 3 and a 64mb ddr from ati. No real problems with both of these cards except when the ATI card came out, my mobo didnt support it so it needed a simple bios update. The only thing I see wrong with ATI, like most hardware manufacturers, is the hardware is so advanced that newer drivers are needed for them to work properly.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6850469 " target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1065087" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
OH YA!! WELL MY Ti 4200 IS CHEAPER BEAT THAT!!! LOL

man where's Grape, i think i need to use my passage of wisdom on this guy again (but it'll piss someone off)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Crap! You just made me think of something with that post.

I think the interesting thing about ATI is that early on (in the small beginning) they had very little support with board makers. They had to put out their OWN boards w/ the VPU's. I remember that Nvidia also did this early on, but then they began to sell the VPU to card makers to manufactur and distribute the boards/cards. I recall Xtasy making some kick arse GF cards back in the dizzay as well as Leadtek. So, not to try and defend any one company...but perhaps ATI sucked arse until they got more support from card makers later on with the 8500 and up series'? They were kind of on their own until then...
For ATI, it was probably like doing anything you have little experience doing and doing it mediocre...then going out and getting some help from someone who has done it before and improving tenfold... I dunno, I might be the retard king on this one. I know that one of the main reasons I didn't like Nvidia back in the day is because when they bought out 3dfx they got rid of glide. Man did that piss me off. You shoulda seen the fps I was getting with the old 3dfx card in UT. I would install it along side my 9500 Pro today just for that game. Glide kicked arse. Crap, I'm taking a trip down nostalgia lane...apologies everyone. I'm done, stick a pitchfork in me.

<font color=red>Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems. </font color=red>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

Draiko

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I would think that if ATI was manufacturing their own cards, their drivers would be custom tailored to their hardware and there would've been less chance of having problems because they were in control of which components were used in their cards, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.