Return to hand target of Duplicant

Hello again.

Last weekend my opponet played a duplicant targeting one of my
creatures in play. Could I return it to my hand to avoid it? What
happens in this case with the duplicant? My bet is that I can return my
creature, the duplicant has no target and...

Duplicant 6 Artifact Creature -- Shapeshifter 2/4
Imprint -- When ~ comes into play, you may remove target nontoken
creature from the game. (*) / As long as a creature card is imprinted
on ~, ~ has the power, toughness, and creature types of the last
creature card imprinted on it. It's still a Shapeshifter.

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Eibi

On 25 Jul 2005 23:23:27 -0700, Eibi <eibi99@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Last weekend my opponet played a duplicant targeting one of my
>creatures in play. Could I return it to my hand to avoid it?

Okay. First problem here: he can't "play Duplicant targetting" _anything_.
Creature spells and artifact spells have no targets, ever.

What you mean to ask, I bet, was "He played a Duplicant, then once it
came into play, chose one of my creatures as the target of its triggered
Imprint ability. Could I...?".

The answer is "Yes, of course"; the triggered ability uses the stack, and
can be responded to. This is assuming you have some way to return the
creature to your hand, of course - Unsummon, Boomerang, etc. You can't
just pick it up because you don't like what's about to happen, or
because you want it to be in your hand...

>What happens in this case with the duplicant? My bet is that I can return my
>creature, the duplicant has no target and...

See, this is why the first comment is important. The Duplicant SPELL has
no target to start with; you can't "counter the creature spell" this way
at ALL.

The Duplicant's _triggered ability_ will find, on resolution, that its
target is missing ... and the ABILITY will get countered. Leaving the
Duplicant sitting there in play with no card imprinted, in which case ...

>Duplicant 6 Artifact Creature -- Shapeshifter 2/4
>Imprint -- When ~ comes into play, you may remove target nontoken
>creature from the game. (*) / As long as a creature card is imprinted
>on ~, ~ has the power, toughness, and creature types of the last
>creature card imprinted on it. It's still a Shapeshifter.

....it is a 2/4 Shapeshifter artifact creature with mana cost 6 named
Duplicant. Nothing extra...

Dave

Maz

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

If you remove the targeted creature "in response" the duplicant's
triggered imprint ability will be countered on resolution, so your
opponent's duplicant won't have a creature card imprinted on it.
It then stays a 2/4 creature with the creature type "Shapeshifter" as
stated in the type line.