Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

The principals:

Sekki, Seasons' Guide
5GGG
Legendary Creature -- Spirit
0/0
~ comes into play with eight +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to ~, prevent that damage, remove that many
+1/+1 counters from Sekki, and put that many 1/1 colorless Spirit
creature tokens into play.
Sacrifice eight Spirits: Return ~ from your graveyard to play.

Shinen of Life's Roar
1G
Creature -- Spirit
1/2
All creatures able to block ~ do so.
Channel -- 2GG, discard ~: All creatures able to block target creature
this turn do so.

And for Q2:

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker
4B
Legendary Creature -- Spirit
2/2
Whenever a creature with power 1 or less is put into your graveyard
from play, you may return that creature card to play under your control
at end of turn if ~ is still in play.

So, the two questions:
1. My opponent has, say, 42 power's worth of creatures untapped --
enough to alpha me into submission next turn. I attack with Sekki, and
or I've already hooked Sekki with the lure before the attack). Am I
correct in assuming that if all of the 42 power's worth of creatures
blocks Sekki (which they are forced to do or find some way to tap), I
will have a dead Sekki, but 42 Spirits for defense next turn?

2. Am I also correct in assuming if Sekki dies by attrition (removal
of all its counters) that Shirei will bring it back?

Jax <IlGreven@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The principals:
>
> Sekki, Seasons' Guide
> 5GGG
> Legendary Creature -- Spirit
> 0/0
> ~ comes into play with eight +1/+1 counters on it.
> If damage would be dealt to ~, prevent that damage, remove that many
> +1/+1 counters from Sekki, and put that many 1/1 colorless Spirit
> creature tokens into play.
> Sacrifice eight Spirits: Return ~ from your graveyard to play.
>
> Shinen of Life's Roar
> 1G
> Creature -- Spirit
> 1/2
> All creatures able to block ~ do so.
> Channel -- 2GG, discard ~: All creatures able to block target creature
> this turn do so.
>
> And for Q2:
>
> Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker
> 4B
> Legendary Creature -- Spirit
> 2/2
> Whenever a creature with power 1 or less is put into your graveyard
> from play, you may return that creature card to play under your control
> at end of turn if ~ is still in play.
>
> So, the two questions:
> 1. My opponent has, say, 42 power's worth of creatures untapped --
> enough to alpha me into submission next turn. I attack with Sekki, and
> or I've already hooked Sekki with the lure before the attack). Am I
> correct in assuming that if all of the 42 power's worth of creatures
> blocks Sekki (which they are forced to do or find some way to tap), I
> will have a dead Sekki, but 42 Spirits for defense next turn?
>
> 2. Am I also correct in assuming if Sekki dies by attrition (removal
> of all its counters) that Shirei will bring it back?

Looks like "yes" and "yes".
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On 26 Jul 2005 11:55:07 -0700, Jax <IlGreven@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Sekki, Seasons' Guide 5GGG Legendary Creature -- Spirit
>0/0 ~ comes into play with eight +1/+1 counters on it. / If damage would be
> dealt to ~, prevent that damage, remove that many +1/+1 counters from ~, and
> put that many 1/1 colorless Spirit creature tokens into play. / Sacrifice
> eight Spirits: Return ~ from your graveyard to play.
>
>Shinen of Life's Roar 1G Creature -- Spirit
>1/2 All creatures able to block ~ do so. / Channel -- 2GG,discard ~: All
> creatures able to block target creature this turn do so.

Hmmm. Combat damage is all dealt at once, barring first/double strike. So
generally a multi-blocked Sekki will prevent all the combat damage, remove
that many +1/+1 counters (or all it has if that's not enough), and put that
many Spirit tokens into play.

>And for Q2:
>
>Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker 4B Legendary Creature -- Spirit
>2/2 Whenever a creature with power 1 or less is put into your graveyard
>from play, you may return that creature card to play under your control
>at end of turn if ~ is still in play.

"if ~ is still in play" means just that: Shirei cannot have left play
between the time the creature goes to the graveyard and the time the
delayed triggered ability resolves.

>So, the two questions:
>1. My opponent has, say, 42 power's worth of creatures untapped --
>enough to alpha me into submission next turn. I attack with Sekki, and
>or I've already hooked Sekki with the lure before the attack). Am I
>correct in assuming that if all of the 42 power's worth of creatures
>blocks Sekki (which they are forced to do or find some way to tap), I
>will have a dead Sekki, but 42 Spirits for defense next turn?

Yes, IF you don't have some way to raise Sekki's toughness by at least 1
(which is a pretty vital thing to have around in a Sekki deck). If you CAN
raise Sekki's toughness, then you'll end up with a live Sekki and 42 Spirits.
(And if the toughness-raiser lasts only until end of turn, Sekki will die in
cleanup step...)

Or, you could also use Sekki's SECOND ability after he dies, and end up with 34
Spirits and a new live Sekki with eight +1/+1 counters on him...

>2. Am I also correct in assuming if Sekki dies by attrition (removal
>of all its counters) that Shirei will bring it back?

If nothing is boosting Sekki's power by 2 or more, then yes. If he's going to
the graveyard because he is 0/0, that triggers Shirei just fine - Shirei
does not insist that the creature be -destroyed- to get to the graveyard.
Shirei does have to live until partway through your end-of-turn step in End
phase, of course, to bring Sekki back... and if Sekki dies -during- End phase,
Shirei can't bring him back until the End phase of the NEXT turn. But your
example had Sekki dying during Combat phase, so that's fine.

Dave