Portal cards legal?

Slugger

There is no mention of it on the wizards site. I'm looking at Cruel
Tutor in particular.

Maz

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

See restricted/banned lists for vintage

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/sfrvintage

Until October 20, 2005, cards from the following sets are not allowed in
Vintage tournaments, or any DCI-sanctioned tournament, unless the card
has been reprinted in a Magic core set or expansion:

* Portal
* Portal: Second Age
* Portal: Three Kingdoms
* Starter

=> Portal becomes legal on Okctober 20, 2005

One of the voices in my head - or was it Slugger? - just said...
> There is no mention of it on the wizards site. I'm looking at Cruel
> Tutor in particular.

Legal for what? For casual play, it's whatever you and your play group
can agree on. For tournaments, the Portal and Starter sets are not legal
as such, but individual cards may be, if they are also printed in a
currently legal set. For example, a Portal Wrath of God would be legal
in Standard since that card also appears in 8th edition. Cruel Tutor, on
the other hand, has not been printed in any set other than Portal, and
as such, is not legal in any sanctioned tournament at the moment.

Cards from these sets WILL become legal in Vintage and Legacy (formerly
Type 1 and Type 1.5) tournaments starting October 20. Many people are
rather excited about this. A tentative announcement has been made that
Imperial Seal will probably be restricted in Vintage, and Imperial Seal
and Personal Tutor will probably be banned in Legacy. That may not be
exactly what ends up happening, but it will probably be close. Cruel
Tutor looks safe for now but it is thought to be a card they are
examining very closely as a candidate to join one or both of those
lists.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:10:14 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
>Legal for what? For casual play, it's whatever you and your play group
>can agree on. For tournaments, the Portal and Starter sets are not legal
>as such, but individual cards may be, if they are also printed in a
>currently legal set. For example, a Portal Wrath of God would be legal
>in Standard since that card also appears in 8th edition. Cruel Tutor, on
>the other hand, has not been printed in any set other than Portal, and
>as such, is not legal in any sanctioned tournament at the moment.
>
>Cards from these sets WILL become legal in Vintage and Legacy (formerly
>Type 1 and Type 1.5) tournaments starting October 20. Many people are
>rather excited about this. A tentative announcement has been made that
>Imperial Seal will probably be restricted in Vintage, and Imperial Seal
>and Personal Tutor will probably be banned in Legacy. That may not be
>exactly what ends up happening, but it will probably be close. Cruel
>Tutor looks safe for now but it is thought to be a card they are
>examining very closely as a candidate to join one or both of those lists.

Notice that this only makes them legal in the two formats in which "everything,
except what's on these lists, is legal", Type I and Type 1.5 . Cruel Tutor
won't ever be Type-II legal _unless_ it gets reprinted in a set that becomes
legal in Type II...

Dave