two little questions

1) I block with a pristine angel (untapped) against a darksteel collosus,
will I take 7 damage because of trample?

2) Do players HAVE to untap during their untap step?

my answers:
1) I dont because collosus needs to deal lethal damage to a creature
before it can deal damage to me. And as pristine angel has protection from
collosus, it wont die.

2) players untap all the cards he or she controls unless it is stated on
the card that the permanent is allowed to stay tapped

"Zhambah" <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) I block with a pristine angel (untapped) against a darksteel collosus,
> will I take 7 damage because of trample?
>
> 2) Do players HAVE to untap during their untap step?
>
> my answers:
> 1) I dont because collosus needs to deal lethal damage to a creature
> before it can deal damage to me. And as pristine angel has protection from
> collosus, it wont die.
>
> 2) players untap all the cards he or she controls unless it is stated on
> the card that the permanent is allowed to stay tapped

1. Pristine Angel is 4/4 flying, DSC is 11/11 trample. PA blocks DSC. DSC
has to deal at least lethal damage to PA before the excess will carry over
to the defending player. Usually this will mean 4 to the PA, 7 to defender.
The protection PA has will prevent whatever damage is assigned to it, but
does not protect the defender. So yes, if 4 is assigned to the PA, you will
still take the remaining 7. The PA will live throught it, however (unless it
gets tapped before damage resolves).

2. Yes, all players MUST untap all permanents they control that do NOT give
an option NOT to untap them or say they DON'T untap. Comprehensive Rules,
302.:

302. Untap Step

302.1 First, all permanents with phasing that the active player controls
phase out, and all phased-out objects that the active player controlled when
they phased out simultaneously phase in (this game action doesn't use the
stack). See rule 217.8, "Phased Out," and rule 502.15, "Phasing."

302.2. Next the active player determines which permanents he or she controls
will untap. Then he or she untaps them all simultaneously (this game action
doesn't use the stack). Normally, all of a player's permanents untap, but
effects can keep one or more of a player's permanents from untapping.

302.3. No player receives priority during the untap step, so no spells or
abilities can be played or resolved. Any ability that triggers during this
step will be held until the next time a player would receive priority, which
is usually during the upkeep step. (See rule 303, "Upkeep Step.")

Erich

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:00:23 -0400, Zhambah <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:
>1) I block with a pristine angel (untapped) against a darksteel collosus,
>will I take 7 damage because of trample?

Pristine Angel is 4/4. Darksteel Colossus is 11/11. You'll take _up to_ 7
damage, depending on how attacking player assigned the combat damage. Almost
always attacking player will say "4 to the Angel and 7 to you" ... but it's
LEGAL for them to say, for example, "8 to the Angel and 3 to you", or the like.

Any combat damage assigned to the untapped Angel will get prevented as it
tries to get dealt, if the Angel is still untapped. Any assigned straight to
you gets dealt straight to you, and goes nowhere near your Angel.

>2) Do players HAVE to untap during their untap step?

Yes, unless some effect SAYS for them not to.

>my answers:
>1) I dont because collosus needs to deal lethal damage to a creature
>before it can deal damage to me. And as pristine angel has protection from
>collosus, it wont die.

Nope. "Lethal damage" means "damage equal to or greater than (its toughness
minus damage already on it)". Usually your untapped Angel will not have any
previous damage on it (though it is possible); so usually lethal damage for
it is 4. "Lethal damage" has nothing to do with "look ahead in time and see
if the damage IS GOING TO actually kill the Angel".

>2) players untap all the cards he or she controls unless it is stated on
>the card that the permanent is allowed to stay tapped

Or unless it's stated on some other card, or some effect that has hit the
card previously. Correct.

Dave

I'm just about to head offline, so I'll be brief. Dave can probably
explain it better anyway.

Zhambah <zhambah@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1) I block with a pristine angel (untapped) against a darksteel collosus,
> will I take 7 damage because of trample?

Most likely, yes. Why? Because the Colossus's controller only has to
assign damage equal to the Angel's toughness (less any other damage that
might be already on it) to the Angel itself, and can then decide for
every point of 'spillover' damage whether to assign it to the Angel or
to you. (Because of the Angel's protection, 'you' will normally be the
preferred choice.) Once the damage actually resolves, the Angel's
protection will prevent any that the Colossus assigned to *it*, but
will do nothing about the damage headed *your* way.

> 2) Do players HAVE to untap during their untap step?

Untapping is mandatory unless a card specifically tells you otherwise,
yes.

--
Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
#include <disclaimer.h>

Maz

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Zhambah schrieb:
> 1) I block with a pristine angel (untapped) against a darksteel collosus,
> will I take 7 damage because of trample?

You will take 7 Ponts of damage

Lethal Damage

Lethal damage is an amount of damage greater than or equal to a
creature's toughness. A creature with lethal damage, but greater than 0
toughness, is destroyed. This is a state-based effect. See rule 420.5.

It doesn´t matter that the 4 points of damage are prevented.
The 7 points of trample damage are directly assigned to the defending
player an get through.

> 2) Do players HAVE to untap during their untap step?

Yes they do.
Untapping permanents in the untap step is not optional