"Connect to" submenu / Start menu hang

Hello, I have racked my brain and scoured the internet in pursuit of a
solution to this problem I'm having.

To begin with the problem manifested itself as a 1-2 minute delay before
the task bar became usable (hourglass) immediatly after I logged into my user
account.

I found a Microsoft knowlege base article that instructed me to disable
the "SSDP Discovery Service", which I did. This only half soved my problem
because while the taskbar is now immediatly available, there remains a
problem with the "hang" time which now is triggered when the mouse passes
over the "Connect to" submenu of the Start menu. When the delay is over
everything is fine until the next time I reboot.

If it is important the contents of the Network Connections item in the
Control Panel are:
- My ISP dial-up connection
- 1394 Connection (says connected, don't know why)
- Wireless Network Connection (not connected)
- Local Area Network Connection (not connected)

Any assistance in solving this problem would be greatly appreaciated.

-Thank You

Try assigning a Static IP to the TCP/IP properties of the LAN card.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509