Looking back in time.

Hi,

Leave-play-abilities have to look back in time to see whether they
triggered. But how far do they look back in time?

Let me give an example:
In play are a Disciple of the Vault and a Myr Enforcer.
Then I play a Solar Tide with entwine.

The DotV doesn't see the ME go to the graveyard since the effect
destroying the DotV happened first, right?

Disciple of the Vault
{B}
Creature -- Human Cleric
1/1
Whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from play, you may have
target opponent lose 1 life.

Myr Enforcer
{7}
Artifact Creature -- Myr
4/4
Affinity for artifacts (This spell costs {1} less to play for each
artifact you control.)

Solar Tide
{4}{W}{W}
Sorcery
Choose one --- Destroy all creatures with power 2 or less; or destroy
all creatures with power 3 or greater.
Entwine---Sacrifice two lands. (Choose both if you pay the entwine
cost.)

--
David

David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Leave-play-abilities have to look back in time to see whether they
> triggered. But how far do they look back in time?

Just before the event.

> Let me give an example:
> In play are a Disciple of the Vault and a Myr Enforcer.
> Then I play a Solar Tide with entwine.
>
> The DotV doesn't see the ME go to the graveyard since the effect
> destroying the DotV happened first, right?

Right. The Disciple of the Vault was not in play just before the event
in which the Myr Enforcer was put into a graveyard.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>Leave-play-abilities have to look back in time to see whether they
>triggered. But how far do they look back in time?

Only to "immediately before the event". This distinguishes them from other
triggered abilities, which look at "immediately after the event"; since we've
never found a way to make "look at the game state EXACTLY AS the event is
happening" _work_, we have those two as the only choices.

>Let me give an example:
>In play are a Disciple of the Vault and a Myr Enforcer.
>Then I play a Solar Tide with entwine.
>
>The DotV doesn't see the ME go to the graveyard since the effect
>destroying the DotV happened first, right?

Correct. If you Entwine the Solar Tide, it -first- destroys all power-2-or-less
creatures, -then- destroys all power-3-or-greater creatures. (In special cases
involving, say, a Keldon Warlord, or maybe a Nightmare plus some animated
Swamps, this might in fact not end up destroying ALL creatures.)

The Disciple got destroyed before the Myr Enforcer did. The game state
immediately before the Myr Enforcer gets destroyed doesn't have a Disciple
in play in it.

Dave