CRT Port to LCD, is it possible?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
sounds stupid question, but I don't know the answer
is it possible to use a CRT port to connect a LCD monitor? by using sht like an adapter maybe?

thanks in advance~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe, but I think it would have to be active, not passive. Isn't a DVI signal digital?

Also, many DFP monitors have both VGA and DVI connections, if you haven't bought yours yet, consider your options first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
what do you mean by "active" and "passive"
if many DFP monitors have VGA and DVI connections, why would we need a DVI port on video card then?

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
yep. DVI is digital. I think it stands for Digital Visual Interface but I'm not sure.

LCD's generally come with a DVI or ADC connector. There is a VGA connector that can adapt the LCD to VGA connections...but you will lose much of the clarity if you do so.

During my training, it was advisable never to go with digital video through an analog connection...at least not without an Analog to Digital Multiplexor (of course you'd have to custom manufactur/build that one yourself with software and hardware...I don't think I've heard of it yet). If you had the Analog/Digital Multiplexor and at least two other video channel Multiplexors (number depending on resolution you desire...you'd have to break your screen up into zones and assign each zone to a channel Multiplexor card to reassemble the display), then you wouldn't lose image quality :p

Bah, I'd just get a new video card that you can use with an LCD display :p Too much trouble the other way.

<font color=blue>Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel. </font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DVI is supposed to be better because, using a VGA connection to a DFP makes the video card convert the signal from digital to analog, and the monitor change it back to digital again.

And that's what I refer to by "active". An active adapter would be required to change the analog signal back to digital. A DAC if you will (Digital/Analog Converter). Which would be a type of simplified processor.

So if such converters do exist (and they probably do), the signal would still be converted from digital to analog back to digital. And as stated, this is less ideal than maintaining a direct digital signal.

So many DFP monitors contain the "less desireable" VGA connection and the "more desireable" DVI connection. Rather than buy an adapter, you could simply buy a DVP that already had one built in!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I should have read your response first. ADC instead of DAC. Anyway, most gaming cards have only one DVI, so say you wanted two DFPs, you'd need one on VGA...and no converter would be needed if you used one that had it built in.

At my last school our Sun Blade 100 units used the DFP from a VGA output.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Our workstations looked fine.

TRENDING THREADS