someone help me PLEASE - in ref to Trojan horse TR/startpa..

One again sorry for the long message here but i need to explain - thanks in
advance for reading such a long story.

I had the above Trojan on my computer which im guessing was linked to the
about.blank page as well because that is what i also had. Due to this i could
connect to the net but the only page i could get up was the about.blank
everytime i tried another webpage my internet froze up. I couldnt even
download virus updates as this virus would not allow me to connect to any
servers either.

anyway i downloaded the following at work onto disc and ran them all in this
order in safe mode (without updating them because i couldnt)
- about buster
- cwshredder
- clean up
- ad aware
- hijakethis

it obviously cleared out the virus because when i booted back up into normal
mode i could update ad aware and i could update my virus definitions.
I ended up doing all of the above again (in normal mode when it was updated)

when my virus definintions were updating my virus alert came up with the
following: TR/Dldr.1stbar.2821, BDS/Pdpinch.dp & worm.RBOT.109568.2

but when i ran my virus definintions it did not find any of the above only
when i was downloading them although i couldnt remove them because it was
"access denied"

but now when i connect to the internet (i can connect) but every single page
i try to go to comes up with the error "this page can not be displayed"
Im totally GLAD it does not come up with the about blank anymore as i know
that is gone but still i cant get any pages up although everything says im
virus free.

should i boot back into safe mode and run ad aware again now that it is
updated instead of in normal mode.

please help me someone, ive spent many a nites and early mornings trying to
fix this and im very much need of sleep but i wont stop until i can fix it.
thanking you all in advance sooooo VERY much appreciated

please also remember i can not do scans from the interent as i cant get a
page up!!
thanking you
5 answers Last reply
More about someone trojan horse startpa

    can anyone at all tell me why im only getting "this page can not be
    displayed" error with every website i go to, even after ive gotten rid of the
    about:blank and the trojan/startpage virus - pllllllllllllllllllllllllllease
    i can only see this site while at work and im going home soon :)

    "The Aussie Girl" wrote:

    > can anyone at all tell me why im only getting "this page can not be
    > displayed" error with every website i go to, even after ive gotten rid of the
    > about:blank and the trojan/startpage virus - pllllllllllllllllllllllllllease
    > i can only see this site while at work and im going home soon :)
    >
    > "The Aussie Girl" wrote:
    >
    > > One again sorry for the long message here but i need to explain - thanks in
    > > advance for reading such a long story.
    > >
    > > I had the above Trojan on my computer which im guessing was linked to the
    > > about.blank page as well because that is what i also had. Due to this i could
    > > connect to the net but the only page i could get up was the about.blank
    > > everytime i tried another webpage my internet froze up. I couldnt even
    > > download virus updates as this virus would not allow me to connect to any
    > > servers either.
    > >
    > > anyway i downloaded the following at work onto disc and ran them all in this
    > > order in safe mode (without updating them because i couldnt)
    > > - about buster
    > > - cwshredder
    > > - clean up
    > > - ad aware
    > > - hijakethis
    > >
    > > it obviously cleared out the virus because when i booted back up into normal
    > > mode i could update ad aware and i could update my virus definitions.
    > > I ended up doing all of the above again (in normal mode when it was updated)
    > >
    > > when my virus definintions were updating my virus alert came up with the
    > > following: TR/Dldr.1stbar.2821, BDS/Pdpinch.dp & worm.RBOT.109568.2
    > >
    > > but when i ran my virus definintions it did not find any of the above only
    > > when i was downloading them although i couldnt remove them because it was
    > > "access denied"
    > >
    > > but now when i connect to the internet (i can connect) but every single page
    > > i try to go to comes up with the error "this page can not be displayed"
    > > Im totally GLAD it does not come up with the about blank anymore as i know
    > > that is gone but still i cant get any pages up although everything says im
    > > virus free.
    > >
    > > should i boot back into safe mode and run ad aware again now that it is
    > > updated instead of in normal mode.
    > >
    > > please help me someone, ive spent many a nites and early mornings trying to
    > > fix this and im very much need of sleep but i wont stop until i can fix it.
    > > thanking you all in advance sooooo VERY much appreciated
    > >
    > > please also remember i can not do scans from the interent as i cant get a
    > > page up!!
    > > thanking you

    Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
    stack from working (Internet connection).
    Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem

    LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Thank you Map
    Im pretty sure i tried this last night (as i have soooooooo many programs
    saved to discs that im installing at home at the moment because of this mess
    so i cant be sure) but i think i did and still nothing, but i think i tried
    it then ran ad aware again after i updated ad aware and found more problems
    and deleted them!!

    i will run it when i get home again is it OK to do in normal mode.
    Well at least i can connect that must be one good thing just can only get
    one page up hee hee.

    any other suggestions if this dont work huns

    "MAP" wrote:

    > "The Aussie Girl" wrote:
    >
    > > can anyone at all tell me why im only getting "this page can not be
    > > displayed" error with every website i go to, even after ive gotten rid of the
    > > about:blank and the trojan/startpage virus - pllllllllllllllllllllllllllease
    > > i can only see this site while at work and im going home soon :)
    > >
    > > "The Aussie Girl" wrote:
    > >
    > > > One again sorry for the long message here but i need to explain - thanks in
    > > > advance for reading such a long story.
    > > >
    > > > I had the above Trojan on my computer which im guessing was linked to the
    > > > about.blank page as well because that is what i also had. Due to this i could
    > > > connect to the net but the only page i could get up was the about.blank
    > > > everytime i tried another webpage my internet froze up. I couldnt even
    > > > download virus updates as this virus would not allow me to connect to any
    > > > servers either.
    > > >
    > > > anyway i downloaded the following at work onto disc and ran them all in this
    > > > order in safe mode (without updating them because i couldnt)
    > > > - about buster
    > > > - cwshredder
    > > > - clean up
    > > > - ad aware
    > > > - hijakethis
    > > >
    > > > it obviously cleared out the virus because when i booted back up into normal
    > > > mode i could update ad aware and i could update my virus definitions.
    > > > I ended up doing all of the above again (in normal mode when it was updated)
    > > >
    > > > when my virus definintions were updating my virus alert came up with the
    > > > following: TR/Dldr.1stbar.2821, BDS/Pdpinch.dp & worm.RBOT.109568.2
    > > >
    > > > but when i ran my virus definintions it did not find any of the above only
    > > > when i was downloading them although i couldnt remove them because it was
    > > > "access denied"
    > > >
    > > > but now when i connect to the internet (i can connect) but every single page
    > > > i try to go to comes up with the error "this page can not be displayed"
    > > > Im totally GLAD it does not come up with the about blank anymore as i know
    > > > that is gone but still i cant get any pages up although everything says im
    > > > virus free.
    > > >
    > > > should i boot back into safe mode and run ad aware again now that it is
    > > > updated instead of in normal mode.
    > > >
    > > > please help me someone, ive spent many a nites and early mornings trying to
    > > > fix this and im very much need of sleep but i wont stop until i can fix it.
    > > > thanking you all in advance sooooo VERY much appreciated
    > > >
    > > > please also remember i can not do scans from the interent as i cant get a
    > > > page up!!
    > > > thanking you
    > > >

    > Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
    > stack from working (Internet connection).
    > Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem
    >
    > LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Try WinsockXPFix for your connection problem:

    Malware removal can damage the internet connection.

    Create a new folder named Sysclean (e.g., C:\Program files\Sysclean, or
    just a desktop folder).
    Download Sysclean.com (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp) and
    place it in this folder.

    Download the latest Controlled Pattern Release zip
    (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp, e.g., lpt123.zip) and
    extract its contents to the same folder. See the Readme text file for
    additional instructions.

    Delete Temporary Internet Files (IE Tools>Internet Options>General)
    accepting the option to delete all offline content. Reboot and delete
    contents of all TEMP folders and then your Recycle Bin.

    Close all running programs including your anti-virus application, go
    offline, and run Sysclean. For best results, do nothing with the machine
    until the scan completes.

    If the scan shows any infections in System Restore files and you're
    running WinXP, create a new Restore Point
    (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore), then delete
    all but the most recent Restore Point (Start>Programs>Accessories>System
    Tools>Disk Cleanup>More options).

    Work through the spyware removal programmes etc in turn in safe mode
    until you get no results.

    Afterwards, update your own anti-virus application and perform another
    full system scan.

    Finally run HijackThis and post the HijackThis log to the HijackThis
    forum here:
    http://aumha.net/

    You will need to register with Aumha to be able to post.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4521343F-67B7-4E1E-AC90-2F939013D350@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> single page
    >> i try to go to comes up with the error "this page can not be
    >> displayed"
    >> Im totally GLAD it does not come up with the about blank anymore as i
    >> know
    >> that is gone but still i cant get any pages up although everything
    >> says im
    >> virus free.
    >>
    >> should i boot back into safe mode and run ad aware again now that it
    >> is
    >> updated instead of in normal mode.
    >>
    >> please help me someone, ive spent many a nites and early mornings
    >> trying to
    >> fix this and im very much need of sleep but i wont stop until i can
    >> fix it.
    >> thanking you all in advance sooooo VERY much appreciated
    >>
    >> please also remember i can not do scans from the interent as i cant

    thanks a bunch to you too Gerry, greatly appreciate the time and effort in
    helping me.
    I will try what you said when i get home as well.
    I thought i might have wrecked my internet because i did my 3rd scan of ad
    aware in normal mode not safe mode but im connecting fine to the net just not
    to any damn servers so i cant get any web pages.
    but i have all your information down and i will see how i go. IF i go no
    good then it will have to wait till next week because i cant get on this site
    when i get home (only from work)

Virus Trojan Windows XP