Nikos

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Guys, I heard a siren in my PC on several occassions last night. Any chance
any of you could tell me if this is an indicator to a serious problem, or
just that I am maxed on my memory?

Nikos wrote:
> Guys, I heard a siren in my PC on several occassions last night. Any
> chance any of you could tell me if this is an indicator to a serious
> problem, or just that I am maxed on my memory?

Sounds like it might be overheating.

--
<- Shenan ->

Nikos

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure it's an overheat problem, but then again,
how do I check for that?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Nikos wrote:
> > Guys, I heard a siren in my PC on several occassions last night. Any
> > chance any of you could tell me if this is an indicator to a serious
> > problem, or just that I am maxed on my memory?
>
> Sounds like it might be overheating.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Nikos

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Hey Frogman,
Thanks for the input. One of the guys at the next cubicle also thinks it's a
memory problem. I do not however have rambooster installed on my PC. Would
the siren be a feature of XP Pro?

Nikos wrote:
> Thanks for responding. I'm not sure it's an overheat problem, but
> then again, how do I check for that?

Well, if you were sure what the problem was, you wouldn't have asked, eh?
hehe

Does the siren go off often? If so, you can test it just by opening your
computer case and using your computer like that for a while.. If you hear
the "siren", place a fan blowing into the case.. If you don't hear a siren
anymore, heat is your problem.

(You can also just look for fans that are not moving, etc.)

--
<- Shenan ->

Nikos

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Last night was the first time it went off (in the 5-years I have had this
laptop) and it went off 3 times over a period of maybe 10-15 minutes. I just
checked my vent and my fan, and both are clear and working. I hope it's not
anything else.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Nikos wrote:
> > Thanks for responding. I'm not sure it's an overheat problem, but
> > then again, how do I check for that?
>
> Well, if you were sure what the problem was, you wouldn't have asked, eh?
> hehe
>
> Does the siren go off often? If so, you can test it just by opening your
> computer case and using your computer like that for a while.. If you hear
> the "siren", place a fan blowing into the case.. If you don't hear a siren
> anymore, heat is your problem.
>
> (You can also just look for fans that are not moving, etc.)
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Hi I have a first step trouble shoot for you. Check your sound wave files
and what the siren is linked to. It may help you pinpoint the problem. Once
I was setting up different waves and forgot I set up a scream in the
waves...Windows opened with a loud scream instead of the simple "notes" wave
and I just about fell off my chair! Whew! Hope this helps a little.

"Nikos" wrote:

> Guys, I heard a siren in my PC on several occassions last night. Any chance
> any of you could tell me if this is an indicator to a serious problem, or
> just that I am maxed on my memory?

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:05:02 -0800
=?Utf-8?B?Tmlrb3M=?= croaked the following in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support...

> Guys, I heard a siren in my PC on several occassions last night. Any chance
> any of you could tell me if this is an indicator to a serious problem, or
> just that I am maxed on my memory?

If you have rambooster installed this sounds a siren when you are low on
memory.

--
Regards
frogman http://www.frogman.org.uk for free downloads and more...

If you think you're not confused, you're just not thinking too clearly

"frogman" wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:05:02 -0800
> =?Utf-8?B?Tmlrb3M=?= croaked the following in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support...
>
> > Guys, I heard a siren in my PC on several occassions last night. Any chance
> > any of you could tell me if this is an indicator to a serious problem, or
> > just that I am maxed on my memory?
> >

> If you have rambooster installed this sounds a siren when you are low on
> memory.
>
> --
> Regards
> frogman http://www.frogman.org.uk for free downloads and more...
>
> If you think you're not confused, you're just not thinking too clearly

Nikos

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Hi,
Thanks for your message. How do I check my wave files? And how do I checked
what the siren is linked to? This is something I've never played with and
it's the first time it's come up. So it might not be the wave files because I
don't even know how to open them. However, I did notice that everytime I play
a game, like Rogue Spear, the siren comes up - so it may be my computers
memory, or lack thereof.
Let me know what you think.
/s/
Nick.