Desktop icons won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all -

I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could not
be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.

Any idea why this is happening?

Newt

He should try bringing up the task manager (alt-ctrl-del) then click
processes tab then click CPU column heading twice. See if there is anything
taking up a very large percentage of the CPU usage.

Jim

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
> Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
> clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could
not
> be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
> Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> Newt

Hi

Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
the .EXE & .LNK Files:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
> Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
> clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could
> not
> be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
> Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> Newt

Status
Not open for further replies.