Closed

Desktop icons won't work

Hi all -

I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could not
be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.

Any idea why this is happening?

Newt
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons work

    He should try bringing up the task manager (alt-ctrl-del) then click
    processes tab then click CPU column heading twice. See if there is anything
    taking up a very large percentage of the CPU usage.

    Jim

    "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
    > Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
    > clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could
    not
    > be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
    > Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.
    >
    > Any idea why this is happening?
    >
    > Newt

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
    the .EXE & .LNK Files:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups.

    "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
    > Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
    > clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could
    > not
    > be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
    > Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.
    >
    > Any idea why this is happening?
    >
    > Newt
  3. Hello,
    To the person who posted the dougknox.com link. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM!!!! :bounce:
  4. Necropost
  5. This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy

Internet Explorer Desktop Icons Windows XP