Closed

Desktop icons won't work

March 11, 2005 7:07:13 PM

Hi all -

I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could not
be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.

Any idea why this is happening?

Newt

More about : desktop icons work

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:48:28 AM

He should try bringing up the task manager (alt-ctrl-del) then click
processes tab then click CPU column heading twice. See if there is anything
taking up a very large percentage of the CPU usage.

Jim

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
> Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
> clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could
not
> be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
> Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> Newt

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:56:36 AM

Hi

Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
the .EXE & .LNK Files:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I'm posting this for a friend because he can't get online to ask himself.
> Whenever he double clicks on an icon, the program won't open. He tried
> clicking on the IE icon and got a about blank page that said page could
> not
> be displayed. He ran his Ad-aware and Antivirus but no virus was found.
> Ad-aware found a few problems but he cleaned them out.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> Newt
Related resources
February 22, 2010 9:50:19 AM

Hello,
To the person who posted the dougknox.com link. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM!!!! :bounce:
February 23, 2010 7:24:53 AM

Necropost
February 23, 2010 7:33:49 AM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
!