Trying to identify my next laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmw71

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
1. What is your budget? Ideally around $700.00, but there may be some flexibility here.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15” +

3. What screen resolution do you want? The higher available, the better. I currently have a 14.1" display with the resolution set to its maximum of 1280 x 800.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement. This will be my do everything computer, but rarely used outside of my home.

5. How much battery life do you need? As I am rarely far from a power source, I really only require a few hours or so. The longer the better, though.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Not a gamer, per se. I do play some old (e.g. Tunnels of Doom, Starflight) using emulators.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? I do video streaming from Hulu, Netflix, VUDU, etc… I am also starting to dabble with .NET programming and will look to install various frameworks, SQL Server and Visual Studio.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 250 GB+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? My current laptop is 5-6 years old now and I would like the one I am shopping for to last a solid 3-5 years or more as well.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? All I require is the ability to read and write CD and DVD’s. BluRay would be nice, but is not necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer. I am more concerned with matching my specifications than I am brand, so I am open to anything.

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I like ports; or rather, don't like not having the needed port. At a minimum, I would like to have 2-4 USB 2.0 and 1-2 USB 3.0 ports, plus HDMI.

I am not in a rush to purchase and want to also consider the fact that both AMD and Intel are set to release new platforms (Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge, respectively) later this year, with Bulldozer potentially being released in a month or two. Historically, what is the entry level price for models with the latest technologies? And what will happen to the cost of what is currently on the market?

Historically, I have only ever owned Intel processors, but have begun to consider AMD in an attempt to keep the overall cost down.

One model I had recently been considering, for example, was the HP Pavilion dv6z Quad Edition series upgraded to the AMD A8 processor.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.