have two hard drives and installed windows on both

I have a computer that has two windows xp installed on seperrate hard drives.
I removed the top hard drive which is going bad. When I removed it and put in
the new hard drive which has windows installed too the only thing it shows
when I boot it up it shows / and it does not load windows. When I put in the
new hard drive as the second and put the old hard drive back when I boot it
shows two windows xp installed and it lets me chose which one I want. How can
I make the new hard drive load windows xp and not show /

Have you reset the jumpers on the drives,both seem like thier set as
master on diffrent IDE chains,otherwise if on the same IDE,one set as master,
the other slave thiers really no way a conflict or menu on which to boot to
should ever appear.

"Nerman" wrote:

> I have a computer that has two windows xp installed on seperrate hard drives.
> I removed the top hard drive which is going bad. When I removed it and put in
> the new hard drive which has windows installed too the only thing it shows
> when I boot it up it shows / and it does not load windows. When I put in the
> new hard drive as the second and put the old hard drive back when I boot it
> shows two windows xp installed and it lets me chose which one I want. How can
> I make the new hard drive load windows xp and not show /

The problem is that when you installed that 2nd XP onto that 2nd HD it was
not the Main Drive(c) and therefore XP placed all of its boot files on the
old HD which was C.
After you connect the new HD as the Master on the Cable start your system
with the XP CD and do a "repair installation"
just follow all of the prompts as normal but keep an eye out for that
"repair" option.
peterk
"Nerman" <Nerman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer that has two windows xp installed on seperrate hard
>drives.
> I removed the top hard drive which is going bad. When I removed it and put
> in
> the new hard drive which has windows installed too the only thing it shows
> when I boot it up it shows / and it does not load windows. When I put in
> the
> new hard drive as the second and put the old hard drive back when I boot
> it
> shows two windows xp installed and it lets me chose which one I want. How
> can
> I make the new hard drive load windows xp and not show /

Boot to setup cd, and Recovery Console prompt, to run the commands FIXBOOT, and then BOOTCFG /REBUILD

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Nerman" <Nerman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BE9AF75-B939-466E-8237-76FBCCF9EA75@microsoft.com...
>I have a computer that has two windows xp installed on seperrate hard drives.
> I removed the top hard drive which is going bad. When I removed it and put in
> the new hard drive which has windows installed too the only thing it shows
> when I boot it up it shows / and it does not load windows. When I put in the
> new hard drive as the second and put the old hard drive back when I boot it
> shows two windows xp installed and it lets me chose which one I want. How can
> I make the new hard drive load windows xp and not show /

Thanks for the help, repairing worked.