Preps/things to know for Nvidia to ATI switch??

Stressky

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
What preparations should I make when making a switch from Nvidia to ATI? Also, are there any common problems associated with a switch and if so, any advice on how to ensure that they don't happen/fix them. Thanks!

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
What preparations should I make when making a switch from Nvidia to ATI?
Uninstall the driver, shut down and remove the card.
Also, are there any common problems associated with a switch and if so, any advice on how to ensure that they don't happen/fix them.
Common problems are needing enough money for the new card and maybe finding transport. For the first problem a job or rich parents can help, for the second you could tell your girlfriend you know a romantic restaurant...

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Hehe, the man knows all the tricks.

1) Follow the order suggested exactly for card removal
2) Put in the new card
3) Boot up.
4) a) When windows boots and asks you for new drivers supply them from the CD.
or
b) Install drivers from accompanying CD after boot.
5) Find latest updated drivers on the net and install.

The loving are the daring!

Before you remove the card you may want to not only remove the drivers but make CERTAIN they are gone (the DETs have a nasty habit of sticking around).

Use <A HREF="http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=detonatorrip&menu=0" target="_new">DETONATOR RIP</A> to ensure there is nothing lurking around that might ah heck things up.

After tht follow the rest of the directions that come with the card, they are usually specifc enough to make it easy.

You might want to ensure before you start that you have the latest MOBO drivers installed (AGP/VGA in particular [usually part of the 4in1 set]) install them before installing the new card (when should be described in your instructions), the latest mobo bios backed up, and back up all 'valuable' files. ANYTHING can go wrong. Having the drivers backed up onto disk is also good idea in case of problems.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

G

The golden rule of switching ot ATI from what i ahve assertained from this forum is:

Always be prepared for the worst, and don't expect it to work.

Mainly due to the fact that ATI's record of updating/improving drivers is somewhat a myth.

"...and so i put another round in that person... and he didn't move no more." - US Soldier

"Stars aren't any good unless they shine." - Derek Lemon

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Mainly due to the fact that ATI's record of updating/improving drivers is somewhat a myth

jesus christ where do these people drop from? theyre like little cockroaches that wont go away no matter how much you squish them

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Perhaps they are Nvidia employees who fear for their jobs? j/k
Ok ok, they are only slightly handicapped; after all they made it here.

The loving are the daring!

Guess the fact that every forum sugest you Annihilate (with specially built programs for this) the Detonators because they are so entrenched is ATI's fault. Doesn't matter that it's a Matrox or a SIS *shudder* that your replacing you're nV card with.

OK I get it, bad ATI, BAD ATI!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
this is what u have to do

smack yourself on the head for thinking about switching to ATi and then go out and buy urself a FX5900 or 5600Ultra Rev2.0

okay i'm kidding

make sure u get rid of all traces of nVidia driver
go do a search in regedit for "nVidia" before u install ur new ATi card

and i hope u come back to the dark side soon^^

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

G

That wasn't a tipical Nvidia supporter comment.
Although i am Nvidia, i don't wage war with ATI like some.

But i have heard many views similar to my earlier post, and on the basis that maybe there is some truth in it, i wrote that.
I will tell you know, i'd rather get an equivilant ATI card to the Nvidia FX range.

"...and so i put another round in that person... and he didn't move no more." - US Soldier

That wasn't a tipical Nvidia supporter comment.
You're right the above;

<i><font color=blue>Mainly due to the fact that ATI's record of updating/improving drivers is somewhat a myth.</font color=blue></i>

was more of a typical nVidiot comment. A typical 'nVidia supporter' would be more along the lines of get an FX5600U (I think I remember hearing that somewhere), or nVidia has the BEST drivers, etc. What you did was basically try to slam ATI (and a poor job of it really), which is typically the stuff of nVidiots.
It's definitely not the writings of someone current with RECENT history, especially since ATI does ALOT to update their drivers, and that's NOT a Myth. I don't think anyone could rightly say that EITHER is leading the driver wars NOW, the diffrence is ATI has to work a little harder if they wish to remove the 'OLD Driver' smell that still lingers in many people's minds.

For every current ATI issu you are likely to find an equivalent nV (and saly also Matrox) issue. No one is 'Rock Solid' anymore.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Hey guys.

I'm also switching over to an ATI. A GF4 Ti4200 to a 9800np. And I've actually stayed in the 3dFX/nvidia corner since I got into computers and computer gaming. So switching to Ati is gonna be pretty foreign to me. I know what to expect from the menus, I just hope I don't see more problems than I have with my current and past video cards which all performed pretty solidly.

My system is an Athlon XP 1500. Does anyone know how Ati's newer cards work with the older AXP's? Should I assume a relatively smooth switchover, or just be prepared for the worst? I probably know the answer to that but I'm just wondering what my chances of success are % wise. I hope it's at least 50/50.

Nvidiots would make this a nightmare if it weren't for you level headed fellows.

Cheers to ya.

--

AT&T is the <font color=red>DEVIL</font color=red>!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ltj311 on 08/10/03 07:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Now this is getting stupid,
I have nothing against ATI as a company, and their cards are fine.
As i commented, i prefer ATI to Nvidia's FX range.
Maybe it was an void comment to make, but i wasn't trying to start WWIII. I respect ATI has improved, my comment was based on past reading that ATI was slow to update, i can see know that things must have changed.

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Mainly due to the fact that ATI's record of updating/improving drivers is somewhat a myth.
I agree with this. I bought a Radeon 9000 half a year ago, and two driver updates later it still has the same problems with some games. They probably only focus on improving the drivers for the high-end cards?

If I had to choose between Nvidia drivers with some cheats or ATI drivers with some failures...

I think the main thing is don't expect to get the MAX out of your card until you eventually upgrade the CPU.
As for problems, the best thing is to prepare yourself in advance of the move and make sure everything is ready when you need it.
Prepare for the worst? YES, even if it was moving from nV to nV or ATI to ATI.
My Real-life EXAMPLE; I Screwed up my move from the ATI AIW Rage 128 PCI to the R9600P because of a step I thought would be nice to do while doing all this (cleaning up W2K). In doing so I pooched W2K while uninstalling the video drivers, and forced myself to re-load W2K (problem, forgot CD at cottage when adding printer!). So no more W2K on the gaming machine anymore (kinda wanted to go all XP anyway). So is it anyone's fault but my own? Nah! Coul I have prepared for it better, YEP!

Here's my basic list;

-Read all you can from as many sources as possible, including info from the chip and card makers sites (do a google search for good measure).
- Get all the drivers (video card, MOBO, etc.) you will need before doing anything, and burn them to disk if you can. Also include things like Detonator RIP (see above).
- Have all your MS Win stuff ready (just in case).
- Have all you connectors/parts ready.
- Stay focused on your one task. Either clean your drive BEFORE or Afte your move is completed and stable (running for a few days).
- Finally stay calm, don' rush it, don't sweat any initial tie-ups. It should go relatively smoothly.

Good Luck!

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
As someone else posted, nVidia's detonators have a nasty habit of sticking around even when you don't want them to. After uninstalling the nV drivers and putting in the new card and installing the new drivers, i was getting tons of errors, so I simply reinstalled the OS and everything worked like a charm. One more thing, i recommend <A HREF="http://www.omegacorner.com" target="_new">the Omega drivers</A>.

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
grape without u knowing it, u slowly starting a flame war lol

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

Without me knowing it? Ahh I made the deception complete! :wink:

The myth thing bothers me as they have done ALOT of work. I will grant you they were starting from MUCH lower on the driver totem, but have done alot to catch up. Whether or not someone sees them as below/equal/better to nV's drivers is personal opinion, but it's not a 'MYTH' that ATI has done alot of work, and HAS improved their drivers. Are they perfect definitely not, but let's at least be realistic. That was all I meant.

Anywhoo if it did turn into a flame war it wouldn't be much of one anyways.

cleeve

Illustrious
"What preparations should I make when making a switch from Nvidia to ATI?"

1- Prepare to hear an onslaught of bull$hit from Nvidiots who claim all things Ati will work like crap, even though they have absolutely no actual experience with the problems thay claim, because they're too narrowminded to actually give any other video cards a try

2- Make sure Nvidia's drivers are properly removed before you install the Ati card

3- Enjoy the increased performance

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

dhlucke

Polypheme
Format. Whether it's Nvidia to Ati or Ati to Nvidia, do a clean install and save yourself the headache later.

cleeve

Illustrious
Not to pick on you dhlucke, but I'm always surprised how many people think that formatting is the only way to go.

I've had my current install of XP running for a year and a half now, squeaky clean. It's survived a video card upgrade (Nvidia to Ati no less), memory upgrades, network cards, sound cards... all no problem.

Starting with Windows 2000 (and XP which is built from the same kernel) I find formatting is unneccesary nowadays. As long as you keep a tight ship and remove those damn TSRs and spyware on a regular basis, formatting will be uneccesary.

The worst case scenario I've seen is getting rid of the garbage that Nvidia's detonators leave on a system, and there are ways to do that without formatting by doing some simple registry searching and removal, at worst.

Like I said, I don't mean to pick on you dhlucke, I just personally think that advising a full format might be a little extreme and maybe not worth the hassle.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
I agree. personally when I removed my gf2mx and put my 9700 pro in, all i had to do was remove the dets in the control panel and that was it. There were no conflicts, no drivers problems or lost performance

dhlucke

Polypheme
No picking on detected :)

Personally I've done it both ways. I just prefer not to worry about driver issues at all and my system is setup so that a clean install isn't a big deal at all.

After all, we just spent a whole thread discussing how video drivers like to be impossible to remove.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Why oh why do inexperienced fanboi's act like they know what they are saying?

1. Hrm. Lessee...both ATI and Nvidia kick ass right now. 2. This is the greatest time there has ever been for 3D graphics.
3. ATI drivers have been stable since Cat 3.4's.
4. Nvidia 'optimizes' while ATI 'dramatizes'
5. Get over the battle everyone...the crown is going to change hands at least a hundred more times.
6. Guess who benefits though? That's right...us consumers.

In the meantime, before you open your mouth, make sure you're not going off of what you read at such and such board OR something that you HEARD might be true. Go off of experience. It's really easy to just make an assumption; but when you do that you make an ass out of you and umption (try and figure that one out). As for me, I go for ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. I was a Nvidia fan since they came out and now I own both ATI and Nvidia cards...guess what, they both kick ass. Both are stable. Now get off your ass and buy one of each and find out the truth for yourself before you shovel the witless assertions toward anyone that asks a legitimate question.

PS: Just because it is posted here at THGC doesn't make it true. It just makes it 'posted'. Think about it. I could tell you that an ATI card blew my computer up. Then I could get all of the old posters from here to post the same thing. It may or may not be true. You gonna believe it if you read it? I wouldn't...I'd go out and get some experience myself and come up with orginal opinions.

<font color=blue>God bless those pagans.</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS