Unattach

Hi,

The Glossary says:

Unattach
An Aura or Equipment becomes unattached if it was attached to a
CREATURE and then is not. If an Aura or Equipment leaves play while
attached to a creature, it becomes unattached. If a creature leaves
play while an Aura or Equipment is attached to it, the Aura or
Equipment becomes unattached.

So when I Confiscate an animated land my Confiscate becomes unattached
in the cleanup step? I know it stays attached but apperently it also
becomes unattached?!?

And when I Confiscate your non-creatre permantent and then you give it
protection from blue, the Confiscate falls off but it doesn't become
unattached.

I think this Glossary entry needs to be changed.

--
David

David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> I think this Glossary entry needs to be changed.

It would seem that when they expanded "unattach" from just referring to
Equipment, they should have expanded the description of what something
could be attached to.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, David de Kloet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Glossary says:
>
> Unattach
> An Aura or Equipment becomes unattached if it was attached to a
> CREATURE and then is not. If an Aura or Equipment leaves play while
> attached to a creature, it becomes unattached. If a creature leaves
> play while an Aura or Equipment is attached to it, the Aura or
> Equipment becomes unattached.
>

> So when I Confiscate an animated land my Confiscate becomes unattached
> in the cleanup step? I know it stays attached but apperently it also
> becomes unattached?!?

I ment a land that was animated *until end of turn*.

--
David

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:54:31 +0200, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>The Glossary says:
>
>Unattach
>An Aura or Equipment becomes unattached if it was attached to a
>CREATURE and then is not. If an Aura or Equipment leaves play while
>attached to a creature, it becomes unattached. If a creature leaves
>play while an Aura or Equipment is attached to it, the Aura or
>Equipment becomes unattached.
>
>So when I Confiscate an animated land my Confiscate becomes unattached
>in the cleanup step?

Huh? What about the above leads you to believe that? The definition is
talking about LEAVING PLAY.

When you stole the land-creature, it did not leave (or enter) play. It stayed
in play; only its current controller changed.

When the land-creature's animating effect expires in Cleanup step, assuming
that is what you're talking about (you did not specify any details of the
animation effect, and while many DO last "until end of turn" only, many do
not have any such limitation), the land-creature also DOES NOT LEAVE PLAY.
It stays in play, and stops being a creature; it is still a land. All that's
lost is one of its permanent types.

And, because Confiscate has enchant permanent, not enchant creature? The
Confiscate will not care that the permanent it's on is no longer a creature;
it is still a permanent, so the Confiscate has no reason to become unattached
or to be affected by the state-based effect which zaps Auras attached to
something they can't legally be attached to. (In other words, the Confiscate
stays on the land after it deanimates; if it had been a Control Magic, which
DOES have 'enchant creature', it would have fallen off and opponent would
have gotten their deanimated land back.)

>And when I Confiscate your non-creatre permantent and then you give it
>protection from blue, the Confiscate falls off but it doesn't become
>unattached.

?? No, it becomes unattached. Where are you reading from the above that
it does not? And why are you looking at what appears to be the Glossary
definition instead of at the rules relevant to this? Having a permanent
leave play is NOT the only way to have something become unattached from it.
212.2i specifies "An Equipment that equips an illegal or nonexistent permanent
becomes unattached from that permanent but remains in play. (This is a
state-based effect. See rule 420.)"; 420.5k gives the details "An Equipment
that equips an illegal or nonexistent permanent becomes unattached from that
permanent but remains in play.".

>I think this Glossary entry needs to be changed.

It's giving examples, not giving specific situations which are the only
possible situations in which something can become unattached. You are correct
that somehow the earlier entry explaining this seems to have gotten lost -
but the Glossary doesn't override the rules.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You seem to be missing my point.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, David DeLaney wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:54:31 +0200, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>> The Glossary says:
>>
>> Unattach
>> An Aura or Equipment becomes unattached if it was attached to a
>> CREATURE and then is not.

If my Confiscate enchants your animated land it is attached to a
creature. After the animation wears off (I indeed forgot to mention it
was "until end of turn"), it is not. So by the Glossary entry it
becomes unattached. See?

--
David