If I got the control of a creature with a card like Grab the Reins and
that creature happen to be equipped or has some enhancements, when I
get the creature all this enhancements and equipment can be used by my
(still affecting the creature). Like as example I have a equipment that
say enhance creature gets +3/+3 or en enhancements that say for each
forest enhanced creature get +1/+1? Because I recall reading somewhere
that the equipment is property of the owner but if that equipment give
+X/+X to the creature does that goes invalid?

Thank you

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

emelende...@hotmail.com sez:
<<
> If I got the control of a creature with a card like Grab the Reins and
> that creature happen to be equipped or has some enhancements, when I
> get the creature all this enhancements and equipment can be used by my
> (still affecting the creature). Like as example I have a equipment that
> say enhance creature gets +3/+3 or en enhancements that say for each
> forest enhanced creature get +1/+1? Because I recall reading somewhere
> that the equipment is property of the owner but if that equipment give
> +X/+X to the creature does that goes invalid?

All enchantments (now Auras) and equipment on creatures remain on that
creature when it changes control, and will keep affecting that
creature. Just keep in mind the following things:

-- If an Aura or Equipment is restricted to a creature its controller
controls, it will fall off when the creature changes control.
-- An Equipment's controller may, if he has other creatures, pay its
Equip cost on his turn during his main phase to re-equip it to one of
those creatures.
-- You can't play activated abilities of Auras and Equipment on the
newly controlled creature, because control of the creature doesn't
confer control of those Auras and Equipment. However, "Equipped
creature has 'ability'" or the like gives that ability to the creature,
and you can play that ability.
-- If an Aura or Equipment has an effect "Enchanted creature gets +1/+1
for each "Foo" you control", the you, again, is the controller of the
Aura or Equipment...meaning your newly controlled creature gets +1/+1
for each "Foo" the Aura or Equipment's controller controls. This
doesn't change when control changes.

Thank Jax, but now I a little more confuse.

What could be a good example of a equipment that fell of my creature,
is there something that say equip can only be used by controller or
something like that?

If I understand correctly I cannot play activated abilities, but what
about static or trigged. So as long as he does not need to pay
activation cost he can use it?

Thanks

emelendez01@hotmail.com <emelendez01@hotmail.com> wrote:
>If I got the control of a creature with a card like Grab the Reins and
>that creature happen to be equipped or has some enhancements,

"enchantments"

>when I
>get the creature all this enhancements and equipment can be used by my
>(still affecting the creature).

You do NOT also gain control of the enchantments or equipment, unless the
effect you're gaining control with says you do (and no gain-control-of-this
effect exists that says this; Murderous Spoils can _destroy_ a creature and
give you control of Equipment attached to it, but that's not what you're
asking about).

This means that if the equipment/enchantment has an activated ability of its
-own-, you won't be able to play that ability; only its controller will (and
its controller will now be different than the creature's controller).

If the equipment/enchantment has triggered or static abilities, they'll still
work - but you won't be the "you" they are looking at, its controller will be.

(And if it gives abilities TO the creature, then of course you'll be able to
use those abilities.)

Examples:

Blessing WW Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant creature W: Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

This enchantment has an activated ability of its own. Only the _enchantment's_
controller can use the ability, and in your situation, that's not you.

Blessing of Leeches 2B Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant creature You may play ~ any time you could play an instant. / At the
beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life. / 0: Regenerate enchanted creature.

Like Blessing, you're not the controller of this BoL; you can't play the
regenerating ability, and you're not the player whose upkeep this triggers on
and aren't the player who loses the life.

Blue Ward W Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant creature Enchanted creature has protection from blue. This effect
doesn't remove ~.

This doesn't care who controls the creature; it just gives the creature
pro-blue, and will continue to do so if the creature gets stolen by you.

Caustic Tar 4BB Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant land Enchanted land has "Tap: Target player loses 3 life.".

This gives an ability +to+ the land... so the land's controller is who can
use the activated ability, not the enchantment's controller.

>Like as example I have a equipment that
>say enhance creature gets +3/+3 or en enhancements that say for each
>forest enhanced creature get +1/+1? Because I recall reading somewhere
>that the equipment is property of the owner but if that equipment give
>+X/+X to the creature does that goes invalid?

The equipment/enchantment will still give the bonus to the creature; generally
they do not say "as long as you control the creature" or anything like that.

However, one subtle point here: you're almost certainly, these days, talking
about

Blanchwood Armor 2G Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant creature (*) Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Forest you
control.

(in the Old Days you'd've been talking about Aspect of Wolf). And this counts
the Forests "you control". And its "you" is the controller of the
_enchantment_ ... not the controller of enchanted creature (that would be
worded "for each Forest its controller controls"). So if you steal a
creature enchanted with Blanchwood Armor, the Armor does NOT suddenly start
counting -your- Forests; it still counts the Forests of its controller.
So: yes, it still gives the bonus. But look carefully to see what the bonus
it's giving _is_.

Dave

emelendez01@hotmail.com <emelendez01@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thank Jax, but now I a little more confuse.
>
>What could be a good example of a equipment that fell of my creature,

There isn't one I know of. But there _are_ a couple of _enchantments_ that
will:

Bloodfire Infusion 2R Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant creature you control R,Sacrifice enchanted creature: ~ deals damage
equal to the sacrificed creature's power to each creature.

Coalition Flag, Cocoon, Dizzying Gaze, Fire Whip, Nature's Chosen, and
Veteran's Voice also have "enchant creature you control". That's not very many,
out of the multiple thousands of cards that exist in Magic...

>is there something that say equip can only be used by controller or
>something like that?

If there is such a restriction, the card (or its Oracle text) will say so, yes.

>If I understand correctly I cannot play activated abilities, but what
>about static or trigged. So as long as he does not need to pay
>activation cost he can use it?

Careful, again. If the _enchantment/equipment_ has an activated ability - like
Blessing does ... or like the Equip activated ability that all Equipment has
.... then you won't be able to play that. But if it gives one -to the creature-,
you'll be able to use that.

(Remember that the creature will be "sick" after you steal it, since it
changed controllers, until it starts your turn under your control... so
you can't _attack_ with it the same turn you steal it, and if it's getting
a _tap-cost_ activated ability from the enchantment/equipment, you can't use
that right away either.)

Static abilities the enchantment or equipment has will work as usual; triggered
ones will trigger normally - but remember that you're not the "you" the
enchantment/equipment is looking for, its controller is, so "at the beginning
of your upkeep" would be referring to its controller's upkeep, not to yours.

Dave

Chances are suprisingly good that was not wearing pants when he or she
said:
> What could be a good example of a equipment that fell of my creature,
> is there something that say equip can only be used by controller or
> something like that?

There aren't currently any Equipment cards like that, but there could
be. There *are* Auras that say "Enchant creature you control" and
similar things; those are examples of things that would fall off if
control changed.

> If I understand correctly I cannot play activated abilities, but what
> about static or trigged. So as long as he does not need to pay
> activation cost he can use it?

I'm not sure I understand. Normally, *nobody* gets a choice as to what a
static or triggered ability does, regardless of who controls its source.
And static abilities, in particular, are never "played". Can you give an
example of a situation you're not sure about? It seems to me that pretty
much all such questions are answered by "Remember that the word 'you'
refers to the controller of the Enchantment or Equipment, not
necessarily the controller of the creature it's currently on".