Blue screen and ati

useless

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Hi,

I am very green when coming to computers. I keep getting blue screens with
part of the message saying I have a corrupt file.
programfiles/ATItechnologies/ATIcontrolpanel/atemuxx.hlp. I got some help
from the troubleshooting file and I have moved my hardware acceleration to
none and cleared the write combination.

My question is: how do I know that the ATI driver is disabled and will not
cause me any more problem. (I have no idea what an ATI driver is...) and
how/where can I find it on my computer.

Any help or comments will be of great help..

Oh, this started after the machine self installed SP2. I have a Compaq
Presario
--
useless

ATI manufacturers chips that go on video cards. The ATI
driver is probably not disabled, based upon what you have
said. By moving the slider bar you have simply throttled-
back the acceleration capabilities of the card.

Look here http://www.atitech.com/
for a newer driver for the video card. It's not uncommon
for some hardware to require a newer driver after
installing SP2.

You can get information about the current driver by right-
clicking on My Computer, go to Properties, Hardware,
Device Manager, click the plus sign next to Display
Adapters, right-click on the video card, go to Properties,
Driver. Look at the driver date and the version number
and compare it to the newest driver being offered on the
ATI site. After downloading and unpacking the new driver
you may need to return to this area to update the driver,
or it may run automatically after you download it and
double-click on it.

Do NOT update the driver from the Windows Update site, do
it from the manufacturer (ATI) site.

Good Luck !

The ATI driver is your video card driver. You don't want to disable it
totally, but want to update it to attempt to fix the problem.

I would recommend that you find out the model of ATI video card you have
(either look at the manual you got with the machine, the packing slip or
invoice, etc. If you can't find it there, download Everest Home from
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en )

Install and run it and go to the Display icon then click on the Windows
video icon. Write down the model of ATI video card you have.

Go to http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html and type in your
product number (presario and model number) or if running the Presario system
click Automatically Detect My Products in the middle of the page. You
should be able to download the latest ATI drivers and install them from
there. I recommend that you follow the instructions to the letter when
upgrading the video driver. ATI's drivers have been quite finicky in the
past about getting the installation steps out of order.

If this doesn't fix your problem, let us know what model presario you have
and the video card model. We may be able to guide you on further from
there.

If it does fix the problem, let us know that also.

"useless" <hveten@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am very green when coming to computers. I keep getting blue screens with
> part of the message saying I have a corrupt file.
> programfiles/ATItechnologies/ATIcontrolpanel/atemuxx.hlp. I got some help
> from the troubleshooting file and I have moved my hardware acceleration to
> none and cleared the write combination.
>
> My question is: how do I know that the ATI driver is disabled and will not
> cause me any more problem. (I have no idea what an ATI driver is...) and
> how/where can I find it on my computer.
>
> Any help or comments will be of great help..
>
> Oh, this started after the machine self installed SP2. I have a Compaq
> Presario
> --
> useless

useless

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Hi.

Thanks for all help. I have downloaded and updated my ATI drive and
hopefully this will work. I think it might as I managed to start my computer
without any blue screen message. So, so far so good.

Useless