blocked or not blocked ?

Hi , i have a question about instant on defending creature.

For exemple.

player A attack with a gobelin ( 2/2 )

player B block with a merfolk ( 1/3 )

( player B have en other merfolk ( 1/3 ))

What about the gobelin if player A play an incinerate card on the merfolk
which block ? is the gobelin always blocked ?

thank

Magus

RisseR

Once a creature is blocked, it stays blocked, even if the blocker is
somehow removed from combat or play.

So, yeah, the Goblin is still blocked.
Peter

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:07:45 +0200, laurent Barthet <magus@free.fr> wrote:
>Hi , i have a question about instant on defending creature.
>
>For exemple.
>
>player A attack with a gobelin ( 2/2 )
>
>player B block with a merfolk ( 1/3 )
>
>( player B have en other merfolk ( 1/3 ))
>
>What about the gobelin if player A play an incinerate card on the merfolk
>which block ? is the gobelin always blocked ?

Yes. Once a creature is blocked, it stays blocked until it leaves combat.
That can be because Combat phase ended, because it left play, because it
stopped being a creature, because it changed controllers, or because something
_says_ it is removed from combat ... but it won't leave combat just because
its blocker(s) get(s) killed.

In your example, the Goblin is attacking and blocked; after the Incinerate
kills the Merfolk there are no blockers left, but the Goblin is s till a
blocked attacker, and won't get to assign or deal any damage straight to
defending player.

(The same, by the way, applies to "unblocked"; an attacker isn't blocked
OR unblocked before declare-blockers step starts and blockers are
declared, or not declared.)

Dave

RisseR

Actually, I think in this case, the other Merfolk couldn't block,
because blockers have already been declared. If so, you can't
substitute another blocker for one that got fried. (Mmmm... Fish
Fry....)

But, if you fried a Merfolk before blockers were declared, you could
block with the remaining Merfolk.

Peter

In <4333efe2$0$21236$626a14ce@news.free.fr> "laurent Barthet" <magus@free.fr> writes:

> Hi , i have a question about instant on defending creature.

> For exemple.

> player A attack with a gobelin ( 2/2 )

> player B block with a merfolk ( 1/3 )

> ( player B have en other merfolk ( 1/3 ))

> What about the gobelin if player A play an incinerate card on the merfolk
> which block ? is the gobelin always blocked ?

Killing a blocker after blocking is declared does NOT un-block the
attacker. It's still blocked.

And in this case, if player A incinerates the merfolk before blocking is
declared, player B can block with his other merfolk. (This would save
the goblin, though, because both merfolk couldn't block.)

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com