Missing Or Corrupt hal.dll

I am working on a friend's PC. It won't boot WinXP. I have copied NTLDR
and ntdetect.com from the WinXP install CD to C:\. I now get a message
indicating a missing or corrupt hal.dll. I tried copying a boot.ini from
WinXP Pro and then WinXP Home to C:\ to no avail. I tried running bootcfg
/rebuild and get "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
installations" etc etc.

What now?
8 answers Last reply
More about missing corrupt

    You could do a Repair Installation that will not lose your data.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    "Sixeye" <1@1.com> wrote in message news:G1vYd.7526$KK5.553@fed1read03...
    >I am working on a friend's PC. It won't boot WinXP. I have copied NTLDR
    >and ntdetect.com from the WinXP install CD to C:\. I now get a message
    >indicating a missing or corrupt hal.dll. I tried copying a boot.ini from
    >WinXP Pro and then WinXP Home to C:\ to no avail. I tried running bootcfg
    >/rebuild and get "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
    >installations" etc etc.
    >
    > What now?

    Try this:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

    Sixeye wrote:
    > I am working on a friend's PC. It won't boot WinXP. I have copied NTLDR
    > and ntdetect.com from the WinXP install CD to C:\. I now get a message
    > indicating a missing or corrupt hal.dll. I tried copying a boot.ini from
    > WinXP Pro and then WinXP Home to C:\ to no avail. I tried running bootcfg
    > /rebuild and get "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
    > installations" etc etc.
    >
    > What now?

    you copied them? or expanded them...?

    Launch to the recovery console, and use expand on the files that you
    copied.

    The R option is not available where this page said it would be. When I do
    it from where it actually is, it won't run. It can't find the installation
    to repair.

    "RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message
    > You could do a Repair Installation that will not lose your data.
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    >

    > "Sixeye" <1@1.com> wrote in message news:G1vYd.7526$KK5.553@fed1read03...
    >>I am working on a friend's PC. It won't boot WinXP. I have copied NTLDR
    >>and ntdetect.com from the WinXP install CD to C:\. I now get a message
    >>indicating a missing or corrupt hal.dll. I tried copying a boot.ini from
    >>WinXP Pro and then WinXP Home to C:\ to no avail. I tried running bootcfg
    >>/rebuild and get "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
    >>installations" etc etc.
    >>
    >> What now?

    Nope, no go.

    --

    "barry" <noooooo@nooonsnasdadasdasdasdasda.com> wrote in message
    > Sixeye wrote:
    >> I am working on a friend's PC. It won't boot WinXP. I have copied NTLDR
    >> and ntdetect.com from the WinXP install CD to C:\. I now get a message
    >> indicating a missing or corrupt hal.dll. I tried copying a boot.ini from
    >> WinXP Pro and then WinXP Home to C:\ to no avail. I tried running
    >> bootcfg /rebuild and get "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
    >> installations" etc etc.
    >>
    >> What now?
    >
    > you copied them? or expanded them...?
    >
    > Launch to the recovery console, and use expand on the files that you
    > copied.

    Got a little further with this suggestion. NTLDR and NTDETECT are not
    compressed on the CD however, just FYI. So you copy them directly. hal.dll
    is compressed though and I expanded it over to the HD. That got me a little
    further.

    But then it told me other files were corrupt or missing. I expanded them
    one by one until I got to one called SYSTEM. Couldn't find that one on the
    CD. Or at least, couldn't seem to find the right one.

    The fact that so many are corrupt or missing worries me.

    Hi,

    Thanks for your post.

    You said there are many files were corrupt and missing in the system.
    Based on the information, I would suggest you to perform the following
    steps:

    Step 1
    =======
    System File Checker:

    Please click Start->Run, and then run the following command:
    1. "sfc /purgecache" (without the quotation marks)

    2. "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks)
    The system will prompt you to insert the Windows XP CD into CD-ROM.

    3. Restart your computer and test to see if the issue is resolved. If not,
    please go on to Step 2.

    Step 2
    =======
    System Repair:

    - Prerequisite
    If your Windows XP is preinstalled by an OEM (Original Equipment
    Manufacturer), we need to delete some file first prior to repair XP.
    Delete %windir%\system32\undo_guimode.txt

    For more information, please read the article below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/3/69.asp

    - Repair Windows XP
    1. First disable any Anti-Virus program and BIOS-level Anti-Virus
    protection.

    2. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot device.
    You may refer to your computer manual for information on how to do this.

    3. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.

    4. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press a key
    to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

    5. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it checks your hardware and
    then prompts you to choose from the following options.
    *To set up Windows XP now, press Enter
    *To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    *To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    6. Please press Enter.

    7. Press the F8 key to agree the Licensing Agreement.

    8. You will see your current Windows XP installation is listed in a box
    and get the following options:
    *To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    *To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press
    ESC.

    9. Please press "R"

    10. Then the setup program will repair Windows XP automatically.

    NOTE: After repairing Windows XP, you may need to re-activate Windows XP.

    - If you encounter network problem after repairing Windows XP, please refer
    to the following steps to modify the network setting.
    You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;329441

    Please take your time in trying the suggestions and let me know the result
    at your earliest convenience. If you any other concerns or questions
    regarding this issue, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang[MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:
    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

    Is there any way to do to this if I can't even start windows?

    I've tried several options involving the recovery console and the XP CD.

    Please please help!

Boot DLL Windows XP