GeForce FX5600 cards

bollocks

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2003
decided to buy the MSI FX 5600 vtdr after reading the VGA Buyers Guide, guide mentions that some older chips may be re-packaged as 5600 so make sure the card's chip is 400 mhz so you know you're getting the newer chip - places I've looked have various figures like: memory clockspeed 550 mhz, GPU core 325 mhz, RAMDAC 400 mhz. excuse my stupidity but is "RAMDAC clock speed" what I should be looking at?? help appreciated, thanks.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Don't worry man, we can help. Forget the THG guide. The only 5600 worth buying is the Ultra, Revolution 2. The clock speed (GPU core speed) is 400 mHz, and the memory speed is 600 mHz (300mHz times 2, thanks to <b>D</b>ouble <b>D</b>ata <b>R</b>ate memory, or DDR). The RAMDAC speed is what outputs a signal that your monitor can understand, and don't worry, the 5600's is good enough. Just check those clock and memory speeds!

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

DDW, actually the memory is up to 400(800) on the Rev.2 only the non-ultra has the slow 300 memory. The Rev.1 is 350(700).

<b>B</b>; And if you're looking for a SCHWeEeT one get the GAINWARD as it comes stock OC'd at 450/450(900)

Here's a <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=2" target="_new">link</A> to a good review (I linked it to the SPECS page) on the Gainward.

Such a nice looking card too, Mmm Firey! :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=2" target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=2</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
400/800, right. I'm dumb. Right, now I remember, that's why they don't SUCK. I'll shoot myself in the foot.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
I was in the same position, and when recently buying my new rig, decided to buy what I thought was the MSI VTDR w/ 128, and since the store advertised it as a MSI card, VTD w/ a remote (where they only cut-pasted info of the VTDR from the MSI homepage), I didnt get my remote. Now, I went back later to ask whether or not it was supposed to include a remote, since I did observe that from the MSI cards that the remote comes with the VIVO cards, and this card I bought was the VIVO enabled version. SO the reluctant store-guy phoned up his crazy supplier, and they later told me that tons of people complained how the remote didnt work properly, and MSI had too many problems with it, so they took it out of their packages. Now, I dont know if this is a lie, and i was surely disappointed when I didn't get it in the box, but I guess that's what I get for just thinking that I'm getting what I read on the computer store's webpage... but the part # was the same.. ah well, no big loss, but i am still a little disappointed.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I would not reccomend buying any FX cards at the moment.

I agree with lord_tyranus2,
Stay away from fx cards for now in 6 months could be a different story but avoid fx cards for now(IMHO)

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
LOL! I thought it was a double post. Let me insert my own personal opinion on the matter now:

<font color=green>I would not reccomend buying any FX cards at the moment.</font color=green> :tongue:

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!