HELP!: almost all exe files don't run and are not recogniz..

Hi,

I have a strange problem with XP. It happened suddenly. I never had this
before

All the icons on the desktop are named program.lnk instead of the usual
program name. When I click on any of them, no answer. When I use the links
from the Programs list, I have the same.

When I use the execute function, I have the following message (I have it in
French, so I translate):
"Windows cannot open this program. To open the program Windows has to know
the program used for its creation..
What do you want to do:
- Use the web to find yhe appropriate program
- Choose the program in a list"

If I choose the second solution and select the same exe file that I selected
in the "execute" function, the program launch.

I used several restore at different dates when everything was working fine
and I still have the same problem.

Some program (outlook express for example, and the adsl connexion work).

It's even impossible to use regedit.exe. When I try to launch it as I
explain before, it asks me if I want to include the reg infos from
regedit.exe in the registry, if I say yes, it answers the file is not the
right format, but doesn't launch regedit.exe

I have checked the viruses with several antivirus and even housecall
(online), I also use ad-aware and they didn't find any virus or malware!!!!

Could someone help? Thanks a lot!
4 answers Last reply
More about help files recogniz

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
    the .EXE & .LNK Files:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups.

    "Obelix" <actea@actea-productions.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a strange problem with XP. It happened suddenly. I never had this
    > before
    >
    > All the icons on the desktop are named program.lnk instead of the usual
    > program name. When I click on any of them, no answer. When I use the links
    > from the Programs list, I have the same.
    >
    > When I use the execute function, I have the following message (I have it
    > in
    > French, so I translate):
    > "Windows cannot open this program. To open the program Windows has to know
    > the program used for its creation..
    > What do you want to do:
    > - Use the web to find yhe appropriate program
    > - Choose the program in a list"
    >
    > If I choose the second solution and select the same exe file that I
    > selected
    > in the "execute" function, the program launch.
    >
    > I used several restore at different dates when everything was working fine
    > and I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Some program (outlook express for example, and the adsl connexion work).
    >
    > It's even impossible to use regedit.exe. When I try to launch it as I
    > explain before, it asks me if I want to include the reg infos from
    > regedit.exe in the registry, if I say yes, it answers the file is not the
    > right format, but doesn't launch regedit.exe
    >
    > I have checked the viruses with several antivirus and even housecall
    > (online), I also use ad-aware and they didn't find any virus or
    > malware!!!!
    >
    > Could someone help? Thanks a lot!

    Start>Run and type without quotes (or copy/paste) "cmd /k assoc .exe"
    What do you get?

    "Obelix" <actea@actea-productions.com> escribió en el mensaje news:4232a008$0$814$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a strange problem with XP. It happened suddenly. I never had this
    > before
    >
    > All the icons on the desktop are named program.lnk instead of the usual
    > program name. When I click on any of them, no answer. When I use the links
    > from the Programs list, I have the same.
    >
    > When I use the execute function, I have the following message (I have it in
    > French, so I translate):
    > "Windows cannot open this program. To open the program Windows has to know
    > the program used for its creation..
    > What do you want to do:
    > - Use the web to find yhe appropriate program
    > - Choose the program in a list"
    >
    > If I choose the second solution and select the same exe file that I selected
    > in the "execute" function, the program launch.
    >
    > I used several restore at different dates when everything was working fine
    > and I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Some program (outlook express for example, and the adsl connexion work).
    >
    > It's even impossible to use regedit.exe. When I try to launch it as I
    > explain before, it asks me if I want to include the reg infos from
    > regedit.exe in the registry, if I say yes, it answers the file is not the
    > right format, but doesn't launch regedit.exe
    >
    > I have checked the viruses with several antivirus and even housecall
    > (online), I also use ad-aware and they didn't find any virus or malware!!!!
    >
    > Could someone help? Thanks a lot!

    José, when I run the
    cmd /k assoc .exe

    I have the following

    ..exe=

    that's all, nothing after the .exe=

    It was my first step, I am going to use the advice of Will Denny and let
    know what's happen.

    "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> a écrit dans le message de
    Start>Run and type without quotes (or copy/paste) "cmd /k assoc .exe"
    What do you get?

    "Obelix" <actea@actea-productions.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a strange problem with XP. It happened suddenly. I never had this
    > before
    >
    > All the icons on the desktop are named program.lnk instead of the usual
    > program name. When I click on any of them, no answer. When I use the links
    > from the Programs list, I have the same.
    >
    > When I use the execute function, I have the following message (I have it
    in
    > French, so I translate):
    > "Windows cannot open this program. To open the program Windows has to know
    > the program used for its creation..
    > What do you want to do:
    > - Use the web to find yhe appropriate program
    > - Choose the program in a list"
    >
    > If I choose the second solution and select the same exe file that I
    selected
    > in the "execute" function, the program launch.
    >
    > I used several restore at different dates when everything was working fine
    > and I still have the same problem.
    >
    > Some program (outlook express for example, and the adsl connexion work).
    >
    > It's even impossible to use regedit.exe. When I try to launch it as I
    > explain before, it asks me if I want to include the reg infos from
    > regedit.exe in the registry, if I say yes, it answers the file is not the
    > right format, but doesn't launch regedit.exe
    >
    > I have checked the viruses with several antivirus and even housecall
    > (online), I also use ad-aware and they didn't find any virus or
    malware!!!!

    > Could someone help? Thanks a lot!

    Hi Will,

    I tried what you suggest, but it doesn't work.
    When I mannually try to fill the folder options/files type, the exe
    extension is not listed and if I try to add it (exe as application), it
    doesn't stay in the list...

    Thanks for your help, Will and José, anyway....

Windows XP