About Ravnica's Thoughtpicker Witch

Hello. I have a couple of questions about this card:

Card Name:Thoughtpicker Witch
Mana Cost:B
Type & Class:Creature - Human Wizard
Pow/Tou:1/1
Card Text:{1}, Sacrifice a creature: Look at the top two cards of
target opponent's library, then remove one of them from the game.

First: I have a Thoughtpicker Witch under my control. If I block with
two creatures and they take letal damage, I can sacrifice them to use
the "Look 2 and remove 1" ability after damage on the stack. I think
that I have to look the first two cards, remove one, look the another
one and the next in the library, and remove one (= remove 2 of the
first 3 cards). I can't look the four cards of the top and remove
number 1 or 2 and number 3 or 4 at the same time... Correct?

Second: this is more general. Can I sac Thoughtpicker Witch to use its
own ability? I believe the answer is yes, but not sure.

Thank you in advance.
Eibi
2 answers Last reply
More about about ravnica thoughtpicker witch
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Eibi <eibi99@yahoo.com> sent:
    > Hello. I have a couple of questions about this card:

    Thoughpicker Witch {B} Creature - Human Wizard 1/1
    / {1}, Sacrifice a creature: Look at the top two cards of target
    opponent's library, then remove one of them from the game.

    > First: I have a Thoughtpicker Witch under my control. If I block with
    > two creatures and they take letal damage,

    Well, after they take lethal damage, the next thing that can possibly
    happen is that they are destroyed for lethal damage and you put them
    in the graveyard. I'll assume you mean "and they are assigned lethal
    damage".

    > I can sacrifice them to use
    > the "Look 2 and remove 1" ability after damage on the stack. I think
    > that I have to look the first two cards, remove one, look the another
    > one and the next in the library, and remove one (= remove 2 of the
    > first 3 cards). I can't look the four cards of the top and remove
    > number 1 or 2 and number 3 or 4 at the same time... Correct?

    Yes, that's right. Each effect happens separately. It's even possible
    for you to remove one of number 1 and 2, then play something because of
    what you saw there, then let the other Thoughtpicker effect resolve.

    > Second: this is more general. Can I sac Thoughtpicker Witch to use its
    > own ability? I believe the answer is yes, but not sure.

    Yes. And note that the ability doesn't have a {T} in its cost, so you
    can do all of this even if the Thoughtpicker Witch is summoning-sick.

    --
    -- zoe
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On 28 Sep 2005 00:47:01 -0700, Eibi <eibi99@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Card Name:Thoughtpicker Witch
    >Mana Cost:B
    >Type & Class:Creature - Human Wizard
    >Pow/Tou:1/1
    >Card Text:{1}, Sacrifice a creature: Look at the top two cards of
    >target opponent's library, then remove one of them from the game.

    Before reading further - if there's only one card in that library, you
    look at it, then remove it, no choice involved.

    >First: I have a Thoughtpicker Witch under my control. If I block with
    >two creatures and they take letal damage, I can sacrifice them to use
    >the "Look 2 and remove 1" ability after damage on the stack.

    Yes. But _not_ "after damage gets dealt" - you'd have to do it while the
    damage was still on the stack, before they actually -take- the lethal damage.

    >I think
    >that I have to look the first two cards, remove one, look the another
    >one and the next in the library, and remove one (= remove 2 of the
    >first 3 cards). I can't look the four cards of the top and remove
    >number 1 or 2 and number 3 or 4 at the same time... Correct?

    Correct. You have no way at all to make this change to say "look at the top
    FOUR and remove TWO of them"; you get two separate resolving abilities,
    each of which says "look at the top TWO and remove ONE", that will resolve
    one after another.

    (Even if somehow they both resolved at once I don't think that would work out
    that way - it's far more likely it would be "look at the top two, and remove
    -two- of them"... But they can't both resolve at once.)

    >Second: this is more general. Can I sac Thoughtpicker Witch to use its
    >own ability? I believe the answer is yes, but not sure.

    Sure, as long as it is a creature and you control it. You can't sacrifice
    anything you don't control, and it doesn't say you can sacrifice things other
    than creatures - but TW is itself a creature, so fits the cost requirements.
    Feed her to herself if you like...

    Dave

Games Video Games