Need some advice

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Why is it so expensive for a good graphics card. Like a 9800 pro and 5900 are like mega bucks, compared to a good harddrive or a fast cpu, even a 9600 or those shitty 5600 arn't cheap. I need to know off all u people who have lashed out on these thing to tell me am i gunna notice any difference between a ti4200 and the expensive cards. On current games that is. Because ill be real pissed if i spend all that dosh to reaslise i have been had a lend of by some marketing mob.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Becauze there are good profits to be had... and graphics cards are VERY complex things!

Look at your latest generation R9800pro or 5900 ultra.
Multilayer PCB
very high performance ram chips <2.8ns
Large fast and complex core of 100+million transistors.

And sales of the high end cards is only ~5% of the graphics card market. Thus they can carge high prices and extract maximum profit from the extreme gamer/ enthusiast community.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
many computer geeks are far more interested in graphics chips than in getting new hard drive, cd-rom etc... Nvidia and Ati is also in major competition and they know this is a fact to many computer users, and they are taking advantage of the opportunity. I'm also very used in upgrading, especially my video card and ram, and many of us, and that's make these newer cards expensive.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Plus with the upcoming arrival of newer games like doom3 or half life 2. Expect both company to release new cards and price it in premium.

<b>
But: older cards will get cheaper, and that is an advantage for us consumers.
</b>

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>