affinity vs elves

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I have to say since reading about and making my own ravenger affinity
deck its been my favourite to play because it wins but since I did not
create it I am always looking for a deck which beats it more times
than it wins. The following elves deck has beat it 75% of the time so
far

4 Elvish Scrappers - destroy artifacts
2 Wirewood hivemaster - good insect token blocking
4 Wellwisher - damned good healing
2 heedless one - good final attack
4 wirewood herald - to get the elf you want in when you want it
4 Tel-jilad chosen - protection artifact
4 naturalize - destroy artifact and enchantment
3 elvish champion - pluses and forest walk
4 taunting elves - for the end game and the disciple of the vault
4 wirewood pride - sneeky
4 elvish vanguard
2 gempalm strider - for an option
2 alpha status - for the taunter
2 slate of ancestry - for when the deck starts to run out of steam
4 bloodline shaman - to keep the elves coming
1 glissa sunseeker - destroy artifacts

4 wirewood lodge - to untap elves
22 forests

I know that fliers and blasting is its weakness so as a sideboard I
have
2 steely resolves - for protection vs blasting
3 gaes herold - protction vs counters
1 oxidize (coz I only got 1 at the mo) just to stick it even more to

artifact lovers ;-) (me included)
4 neurok hoversail
1 tangleroot
1 caller of the claw
3 elvish lyrists - which I will replace with oxidize when I can

Phil wrote:

> 4 Elvish Scrappers - destroy artifacts

Viridian Shaman kicks this card's ass.

> 2 Wirewood hivemaster - good insect token blocking

With all the deck-mining cards you've got, you might considering doubling
the number of Hivemasters and maindecking at least three Skullclamps. Those
insect tokens make great Skullclamp fodder.

> 4 Wellwisher - damned good healing

Combos well with Well of Lost Dreams for even more card draw.

> 4 wirewood herald - to get the elf you want in when you want it

Can be dumped if you go with the above suggestions.

> 4 Tel-jilad chosen - protection artifact

Very situational, don't you think? For the same casting cost, Viridian
Zealot doubles as a Naturalize. Whacking their artifact strikes me as
preferable to stalling their artifact.

> 4 naturalize - destroy artifact and enchantment

Oxidize is a much better choice. You may not be finding many in your
boosters but you can buy them online for about sixty cents each.

> 3 elvish champion - pluses and forest walk

Tanglewalker's even better against artifact and affinity decks.

> 2 slate of ancestry - for when the deck starts to run out of steam
> 4 bloodline shaman - to keep the elves coming

These can also be dropped in favor of Skullclamp. Especially the shaman.
Skullclamp will let you choose which card to discard, if any, instead of
dumping a useful buff into your graveyard at an inopportune moment.

> 1 tangleroot

With all your one-drops, Tangleroot and Skullclamp make a great card draw
engine.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:20:35 -0500, "Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote:

>Phil wrote:
>
>> 4 Elvish Scrappers - destroy artifacts
>
>Viridian Shaman kicks this card's ass.
>
>> 2 Wirewood hivemaster - good insect token blocking
>
>With all the deck-mining cards you've got, you might considering doubling
>the number of Hivemasters and maindecking at least three Skullclamps. Those
>insect tokens make great Skullclamp fodder.
>
>> 4 Wellwisher - damned good healing
>
>Combos well with Well of Lost Dreams for even more card draw.
>
>> 4 wirewood herald - to get the elf you want in when you want it
>
>Can be dumped if you go with the above suggestions.
>
>> 4 Tel-jilad chosen - protection artifact
>
>Very situational, don't you think? For the same casting cost, Viridian
>Zealot doubles as a Naturalize. Whacking their artifact strikes me as
>preferable to stalling their artifact.
>
>> 4 naturalize - destroy artifact and enchantment
>
>Oxidize is a much better choice. You may not be finding many in your
>boosters but you can buy them online for about sixty cents each.
>
>> 3 elvish champion - pluses and forest walk
>
>Tanglewalker's even better against artifact and affinity decks.
>
>> 2 slate of ancestry - for when the deck starts to run out of steam
>> 4 bloodline shaman - to keep the elves coming
>
>These can also be dropped in favor of Skullclamp. Especially the shaman.
>Skullclamp will let you choose which card to discard, if any, instead of
>dumping a useful buff into your graveyard at an inopportune moment.
>
>> 1 tangleroot
>
>With all your one-drops, Tangleroot and Skullclamp make a great card draw
>engine.
>
>--
>Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Thanks for the advise I'll see if I have any of those cards and give
them a read ;-)

I must admit that I had thought about putting the skullclamps in ever
deck I have (if I had that many) but then again I thought that I would
have to be sacrificing elves not insects.
Have I read the txt wrong on the skullclamp.........does it not say
that when equipped creature is put into the graveyard. I thought token
creatures did not go into graveyard ?
If I am wrong about token creatures I robbed a friend of a victory
last week which I'll be gutted about ;-)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Phil wrote:
> With all the deck-mining cards you've got, you might considering doubling
> the number of Hivemasters and maindecking at least three Skullclamps.
Those
> insect tokens make great Skullclamp fodder.
(-snip-)
> > 4 wirewood herald - to get the elf you want in when you want it
>
> Can be dumped if you go with the above suggestions.

Wirewood Herald is a great card, and gets even better when you add
Skullclamp! 'Clamp it to get 2 cards and any elf you need - even another
Wirewood Herald to 'clamp!

Most people maindeck at least 1 Caller of the Claw; it is useful
against most decks, not just those featuring Wrath of God.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> sent:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:20:35 -0500, "Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote:
> > (sound advice)

> Thanks for the advise I'll see if I have any of those cards and give
> them a read ;-)

> I must admit that I had thought about putting the skullclamps in ever
> deck I have (if I had that many) but then again I thought that I would
> have to be sacrificing elves not insects.
> Have I read the txt wrong on the skullclamp.........does it not say
> that when equipped creature is put into the graveyard. I thought token
> creatures did not go into graveyard ?

The game will see tokens leave play just as readily as it will see cards
leave play. They just happen not to stay in whatever zone they end up
at for very long:

216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist.
This is a state-based effect. (Note that a token changing zones will
set off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.) Once a
token has left play, it can't be returned to play by any means.

> If I am wrong about token creatures I robbed a friend of a victory
> last week which I'll be gutted about ;-)

Oops. We make errors like this sometimes in our local group - it's
generally accepted that they will happen from time to time, no big deal.

--
-- zoe

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:58:35 GMT, phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk (Phil)
wrote:

>Have I read the txt wrong on the skullclamp.........does it not say
>that when equipped creature is put into the graveyard. I thought token
>creatures did not go into graveyard ?

Tokens does go to the graveyard (and trigger things like Skullclamp),
but they then instantly go poof.

**
216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist.
This is a state-based effect. (Note that a token changing zones will
set off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.) Once a
token has left play, it can't be returned to play by any means.
**

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Have I read the txt wrong on the skullclamp.........does it not say
>that when equipped creature is put into the graveyard. I thought token
>creatures did not go into graveyard ?

Token creatures go to the graveyard, or any other zone they're sent to from
play, _just_ fine. They do have the slight drawback of Ceasing To Exist a
moment later, from a state-based effect, but Skullclamp doesn't say it
cares whether the creature STAYS in that graveyard for any length of time at
all...

>If I am wrong about token creatures I robbed a friend of a victory
>last week which I'll be gutted about ;-)

You may wanna start working on the apology then.

Dave

On 14 Apr 2004 21:22:58 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Have I read the txt wrong on the skullclamp.........does it not say
>>that when equipped creature is put into the graveyard. I thought token
>>creatures did not go into graveyard ?
>
>Token creatures go to the graveyard, or any other zone they're sent to from
>play, _just_ fine. They do have the slight drawback of Ceasing To Exist a
>moment later, from a state-based effect, but Skullclamp doesn't say it
>cares whether the creature STAYS in that graveyard for any length of time at
>all...
>
>>If I am wrong about token creatures I robbed a friend of a victory
>>last week which I'll be gutted about ;-)
>
>You may wanna start working on the apology then.

well I would but he does win most games anyway since we have a 3
player version of a doubles game and he always plays 2 decks that
never work together..... that was sarcasm by the way !

You never see so many enchantments change hands as does in his game.

But your right I will have to explain to him the new ruling...... well
new ruling to us anyway, when I start using it with the skullclamp :)

Anyway the truth be known I have created the elves deck for him to
play in the national qualifiers........ He wants to go to the
tournament but complained that he wouldn't stand a chance against the
affinity decks. He hasn't invested in the Mirrodin expansion so was
limited to what he could use..... elves seemed the natural selection
to work on for him....... so I aint all bad u c ;-)

>Dave
>--
>\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
>It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
>Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
>http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Being a deck with the possibility of a horde of insect tokens,
consider using echoing courage. It will give all insect tokens in
play +2/+2 since a token gets its name from its initial creature type.
Also thunderstaffs might help out in turning the tide against other
weenie decks. Tribal decks are not as popular in the current type 2
as they used to be and a lot of artifact creature's have no type, try
sideboarding coat of arms for some giant elf madness. If you play
enough mana producing elves a decree of savagery can be devastating in
the same way without the shared effect of the coats or the potential
let down of artifact hate. These are all just suggestions for testing
the deck more.

phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk (Phil) wrote in message news:<407aba7f.427998699@news.demon.co.uk>...
> I have to say since reading about and making my own ravenger affinity
> deck its been my favourite to play because it wins but since I did not
> create it I am always looking for a deck which beats it more times
> than it wins. The following elves deck has beat it 75% of the time so
> far
>
> 4 Elvish Scrappers - destroy artifacts
> 2 Wirewood hivemaster - good insect token blocking
> 4 Wellwisher - damned good healing
> 2 heedless one - good final attack
> 4 wirewood herald - to get the elf you want in when you want it
> 4 Tel-jilad chosen - protection artifact
> 4 naturalize - destroy artifact and enchantment
> 3 elvish champion - pluses and forest walk
> 4 taunting elves - for the end game and the disciple of the vault
> 4 wirewood pride - sneeky
> 4 elvish vanguard
> 2 gempalm strider - for an option
> 2 alpha status - for the taunter
> 2 slate of ancestry - for when the deck starts to run out of steam
> 4 bloodline shaman - to keep the elves coming
> 1 glissa sunseeker - destroy artifacts
>

> 4 wirewood lodge - to untap elves
> 22 forests
>
> I know that fliers and blasting is its weakness so as a sideboard I
> have
> 2 steely resolves - for protection vs blasting
> 3 gaes herold - protction vs counters
> 1 oxidize (coz I only got 1 at the mo) just to stick it even more to
>
> artifact lovers ;-) (me included)
> 4 neurok hoversail
> 1 tangleroot
> 1 caller of the claw
> 3 elvish lyrists - which I will replace with oxidize when I can

I'm running an type II legal elf deck, which also does quite well
against affinity. It varies from yours in some critical areas,
though....

--Wirewood Hivemaster x 4
--Viridian Shaman x 4 (kicks butt against affinity--also, having a
toughness of 2 can be beneficial alot of the time)
--Wellwisher x 3
--Taunting Elf x 3
--Wirewood Herald x 4
--Skullclamp x 3
--Oxidize x 4
--Timberwatch Elf x 4
--Birchlore Ranger x 4 (You may not realize it, but he can speed up a
deck. Turning all your elves into mana producers, albeit fairly
inefficient ones, is always good.)
--Tribal Forcemage x 3 (This guy is amazing. He's good for end
game--better than Echoing Courage, as he also gives 'em trample, and
is great when your opponent casts Infest, or Starstorms for 2.)
--Caller of the Call x 1 (This one is a must against Wrath Effects.
Works very well with the Herald.)
--Wirewood Symbiote x 4 (This guy simply kicks a tremendous amount of
butt, in many ways. Combine with Viridian Shaman for artifact-hating
recursion. Or Tribal Forcemage to give your Elves another turn of
trample. Throw in the Hivemaster with another elf for lots of
insects. And the untapping ability works well with the Timberwatch
elf or Wellwisher.)

--Wirewood Lodge x 4
--Forest x 15

Sideboard:
--Caller of the Claw x 1
--Steely Resolve x 3
--Hum of the Radix x 3
--Elvish Champion x 3 (against 12-post)
--Scrabbling Claws x 3 (great against Oversold Cemetary decks, and can
help alot against Patriarch's Bidding)
--Naturalize x 2 (these are mainly for Astral Slide decks)

I hope that helps.

Scott