Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Greetings!

Okay. I've got a type II deck that I'd like to get some feedback on.
I came up with it on my own, but from what I understand, it's a
variant of the 12-post deck. I wouldn't know exactly, as I detest
net-decking, and make it a point not to take (or even look for) deck
ideas off the net.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with:

4x Reap and Sow
4x Sylvan Scrying
4x Rampant Growth
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Tooth and Nail
4x Fireball
4x Shrapnel Blast
4x Pyrite Spellbomb
2x Seething Song
1x Platinum Angel
1x Darksteel Colossus
1x Silvos, Rogue Elemental
1x Plated Slagworm
1x Rorix Bladewing
1x Duplicant

4x Cloudpost
4x Great Furnace
4x Tree of Tales
4x Mountain
4x Forest

Sideboard:
4x Pyroclasm
4x Oxidize
3x Flashfires
1x Furnace Dragon
3x Shunt

The point of the deck is relatively straightforward. Land
acceleration to get out big creatures and/or a fireball. The
creatures are based on either their ability for evasion (Angel,
Rorix), difficulty to remove (Slagworm, Silvos, Colossus), or ability
to remove difficult creatures (Duplicant).

The sideboard is for the meta-game around here: Affinity or Ravager
Affinity, weenie tribal decks, and mono-white solder/control.

I'm not sure about the Seething Song, or the Platinum Angel. The song
was kinda an afterthought while thinking about acceleration; and with
the amount of artifact hate running around, I'm not sure about the
Angel. I've thought about throwing in either Clockwork Dragon (same
removal problems, but it does take advantage of having lots of mana
handy) or Darksteel Gargoyal (sp?).

The other card I'm unsure about is Shunt. I think this is an
under-rated card, and it appeals to my "screw you" sense of things,
but I'm willing to concede that there are probably better cards for
the deck out there.

Finally, with all this going on, would I need four Tooth and Nails, or
would three suffice?

Please critique; I'd really like to see what I could do to make this
deck better.

Thanks.

Scott

Scott Vajdos wrote:

> 1x Platinum Angel
> 1x Darksteel Colossus
> 1x Silvos, Rogue Elemental
> 1x Plated Slagworm
> 1x Rorix Bladewing
> 1x Duplicant

You're pinning your game on six creatures? The Angel will be hated off the
board as will the Duplicant. A lowly Terror will whack Rorix and Silvos.
Plated Slagwurm will be chump blocked by tokens all day long.

That leaves you with the Colossus as your only true beatstick. That looks
mighty iffy to me.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

"Scott Vajdos" <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> Okay. I've got a type II deck that I'd like to get some feedback on.
> I came up with it on my own, but from what I understand, it's a
> variant of the 12-post deck. I wouldn't know exactly, as I detest
> net-decking, and make it a point not to take (or even look for) deck
> ideas off the net.
>
> Anyway, here's what I've come up with:
>
> 4x Reap and Sow
> 4x Sylvan Scrying
> 4x Rampant Growth
> 4x Birds of Paradise
> 4x Tooth and Nail
> 4x Fireball
> 4x Shrapnel Blast
> 4x Pyrite Spellbomb
> 2x Seething Song
> 1x Platinum Angel
> 1x Darksteel Colossus
> 1x Silvos, Rogue Elemental
> 1x Plated Slagworm
> 1x Rorix Bladewing
> 1x Duplicant
>
> 4x Cloudpost
> 4x Great Furnace
> 4x Tree of Tales
> 4x Mountain
> 4x Forest
>
> Sideboard:
> 4x Pyroclasm
> 4x Oxidize
> 3x Flashfires
> 1x Furnace Dragon
> 3x Shunt

I'm in the same boat as far as "net decking" goes. Obviously, I wasn't at
the PT in Japan, so I didn't get to see Tooth-and-Nail do it's thing up
close and personal, I read about it later on teh internet. To my surprise,
it looked mighty similar to a deck I had been playing for a week or so! The
only difference was mine was geared a little more towards white for control.
I'm posting from memory here, as I don't have the deck in front of me at the
moment, but here's my best recollection of my decklist:

//Meat and Potatoes
4 Reap and Sow
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Tooth and Nail

//Control/Stalling Tactics
2 Wrath of God
2 Akroma's Vengeance
3 Oblivion Stone
2 Pulse of the Field
2 Oxidize
3 Mindslaver

//Alternate Win Condition
1 Decree of Justice

//Critters
4 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Eternal Dragon
1 Platinum Angel
2 Darksteel Colossus
2 Viridian Shaman/Viridian Zealot (depends on my mood...I'm trying them both
out)

//Mana
Some Forests
Some Plains
2 Windswept Heath
4 Cloudpost
2 Temple of the False God

I'm sure I missed some. And don't even get me started on the SB. It varies
from day to day. Mainstays there include COP: Red, Damping Matrix, and
Naturalize/Oxidize.

Anyway, from my testing, it seems that this deck is sometimes a little
slower than your average T&N deck. Which fits in good with the "control"
aspect of this deck. The only thing that seems to be able to beat this deck
(with any regularity...everyone has their lucky day and wins sometimes!) are
Ravager Affinity and white weenie. So, I added the 2 Pulses as a stalling
tactic. It's basically a one turn survival (at minimum....probably 2 or 3),
which, in theory nets me a Wrath, Vengeance, or O-Stone. I have 2 Colossuses
(Colossi?) in here, because they're extremely hard to deal with, and with
one swing, it's usually over. Drop the Colossuses, let them think they have
blockers, then Wrath. Boom. Swing for 22, that's game. I love this deck.
It's definitely the most fun deck I've built, and the bonus is it wins a
lot! In fact, a friend has talked me into playing it at Regionals (which
I've never played in, and I'm sure to get whooped, but hey, it's fun,
right?)

I've never played against a version with Fireball in it, but I'm sure it's
in there for the same reason I have my Decree in there - what else are you
going to do with all that mana if you don't have a Tooth and Nail, right?
I'm not a fan of "burn" at all, I find it rather mindless, but if it works
and fits your style, more power to you. Also, I'm sure this sequence is fun:

Turn x: Tooth and Nail > Colossus, Plat. Angel
Next turn: Swing for 15. Sac Colossus for Shrapnel Blast. (Colossus goes
into Library)
Next turn: Tooth and Nail > Colossus (again), another creature.

Haha, nice. Keep sacing it to the Shrapnel Blast. Nice combo.

> The other card I'm unsure about is Shunt. I think this is an
> under-rated card, and it appeals to my "screw you" sense of things,
> but I'm willing to concede that there are probably better cards for
> the deck out there.

Shunt just seems to be the wrong color. It's definitely a blue card. Anyway,
I like it. As a sideboard option only, though. I think it's highly
underplayed. If/when I play red, it's going to be the first card in the
sideboard. Good option. But, as always, test test test. Make sure it's
working.

> Finally, with all this going on, would I need four Tooth and Nails, or
> would three suffice?

4. You want one in your hand turn 4. Turn 5 at the latest. You'll probably
have the mana to cast it, entwined, if necessary, on turn 5. You don't want
to be waiting around for it. I wouldn't go pulling out one of the key cards
of the deck. Although, you can lean on the Fireball if necessary. But I'd
cut one of those instead of a T&N if you're looking to get rid of anything.
My .02.

--

KB

---
Virus? In the computer? Are you serious?

"Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote in message news:<c5hr6n$1r5np$1@ID-225757.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Scott Vajdos wrote:
>
> > 1x Platinum Angel
> > 1x Darksteel Colossus
> > 1x Silvos, Rogue Elemental
> > 1x Plated Slagworm
> > 1x Rorix Bladewing
> > 1x Duplicant
>
> You're pinning your game on six creatures? The Angel will be hated off the
> board as will the Duplicant. A lowly Terror will whack Rorix and Silvos.
> Plated Slagwurm will be chump blocked by tokens all day long.
>
> That leaves you with the Colossus as your only true beatstick. That looks
> mighty iffy to me.

Yeah, one of the things I was thinking of doing was upping the number
of creatures. But my thinking is that I'm going to be using Tooth &
Nail to find creatures that are useful vs. whatever I'm playing.
Yeah, you can kill my Duplicant, but if I take out Akroma with it
first, no problem. You're playing lots of burn? Fine, I'll use my
regenerating Silvos. Lots targeted spells getting cast? Cue the
Slagworm.... A wide variety of creatures to deal with various threats.
My thinking, anyway.

What creatures would you recommend?

Scott

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

there are my three decks at the moment dont know what to use at regionals

Blue Control
// CREATOR: Atombomb
// CREATED: 4/24/2004 7:47:00 PM
// FORMAT: Standard
// Lands
20 Island
// Creatures
2 Memnarch
2 Neurok Spy
4 Neurok Transmuter
2 Phantom Warrior
2 Temporal Adept
4 Vedalken Engineer
// Enchantments
4 March of the Machines
// Spells
4 Annul
4 Rewind
// Artifacts
4 Crystal Shard
2 Mycosynth Lattice
// Sideboard
SB: 2 Domineer
SB: 4 Mana Leak
SB: 4 Myr Landshaper
SB: 4 Steal Artifact

Atog-Disciple
// CREATOR: Atombomb
// CREATED: 4/24/2004 7:21:00 PM
// FORMAT: Standard
// Lands
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
1 Mountain
1 City of Brass
2 Glimmervoid
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
// Creatures
3 Arcbound Crusher
4 Juggernaut
4 Myr Retriever
4 Ornithopter
2 Pentavus
2 Atog
4 Disciple of the Vault
// Spells
4 Shatter
4 Shrapnel Blast
// Artifacts
2 Skeleton Shard
3 Skullclamp
// Sideboard
SB: 4 Dark Banishing
SB: 3 Leonin Bladetrap
SB: 4 Echoing decay

White Weenie
// CREATOR: Atombomb
// CREATED: 4/24/2004 7:35:00 PM
// FORMAT: Standard
// Lands
20 Plains
// Creatures
4 Razor Golem
4 Auriok Glaivemaster
1 Avatar of Hope
2 Leonin Abunas
4 Leonin Den-Guard
2 Leonin Shikari
3 Leonin Skyhunter
2 Savannah Lions
// Enchantments
4 Pacifism
3 Spirit Link
// Artifacts
4 Bonesplitter
3 Lightning Greaves
1 Loxodon Warhammer
3 Skullclamp

Sb : under constr

Doyle

plebrasseur@hotmail.com (plebrasseur) wrote in message news:<e42b51b1.0404262020.49827ec6@posting.google.com>...
> there are my three decks at the moment dont know what to use at regionals

I guess it sort of depends on your goal. If you are trying to win
regionals then I would go with a completely different deck. If you
just want to play then I would go with the Atog/Disciple deck. But if
that is the case, why bother paying the entry fee. I know this seems
harsh, but I can't imagine that any of these decks has been played
against the primary decks in the metagame (Ravager, Tooth And Nail,
....) with any level of success. Considering that the sideboards are
not even complete (15 cards), I can't imagine that you have
painstakingly honed your deck to the level required to be successful.
Skip regionals and head for Friday Night magic.

mypetrock