does damping matrix stop skullclamp

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

my opponent has a frogmite skullclamed on my turn i play damping matrix,
activated abilites of artifacts and creatures can't be played, if the
frogmite dies does my opponent get to draw two cards? just wondering cuz
i thought it would prevent the card draws cuz it gives the creature that
activated ability of when it goes to the graveyard

J H wrote:
> my opponent has a frogmite skullclamed on my turn i play damping
> matrix, activated abilites of artifacts and creatures can't be
> played, if the frogmite dies does my opponent get to draw two cards?
> just wondering cuz i thought it would prevent the card draws cuz it
> gives the creature that activated ability of when it goes to the
> graveyard

The card draw is a triggered ability and is therefore unaffected by Damping
Matrix. Actually *equipping* the Skullclamp is activated so the Matrix
prevents you from getting Skullclamp onto the Frogmite to begin with.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:36:54 -0500, J H <spyderman82@webtv.net> wrote:
>my opponent has a frogmite skullclamed on my turn i play damping matrix,
>activated abilites of artifacts and creatures can't be played,

Right.

>if the
>frogmite dies does my opponent get to draw two cards?

Sure; why would Damping Matrix stop that -triggered- ability?

>just wondering cuz
>i thought it would prevent the card draws cuz it gives the creature that
>activated ability of when it goes to the graveyard

Skullclamp's only activated ability is its Equip ability. It also has
a static ability, that gives equipped creature +1/-1, and a triggered
ability, which triggers when the equipped creature dies.

With Damping Matrix in play he can't play the Equip ability at all - he
can't move the Clamp to another creature from the Frogmite, and after the
Frogmite dies can't put the Skullclamp on anything new. But the DM doesn't
affect the static ability at all - the Frogmite still gets +1/-1 - and
doesn't affect the triggered ability at all either.

Activated abilities always have a cost, a colon (":"), then their effect.

Triggered abilities always start with one of the three words "When",
"Whenever", or "At", and don't have a colon in their text anywhere.

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

thanks alot for clearing up the activated and triggered effects cuz i
was thinking the damping matrix would stop my exalteds from gaining me
life. oh well i still got first with the deck last night and now i
really know how to play it. thanks again though

"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message
> Triggered abilities always start with one of the three words "When",
> "Whenever", or "At", and don't have a colon in their text anywhere.

We all know what "equip 1" means, but this can still be confusing, as there
is no "1:" on any equipment. It's a strange setup that I never quite
understood - like Lightning Rift. Shouldn't that be something like:

1: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Use this ability only when
you cycle a card.

So, Skullclamp should read:

1: Equip to target creature. Play this ability as a sorcery. (then the rest)

Why is this? Are they trying to cut down on verbiage by using "equip" as a
keyword?

--

KB

---
Virus? In the computer? Are you serious?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Ken!
You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:58:10 -0400:

KB> "David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message
>> Triggered abilities always start with one of the three words
>> "When",
>> "Whenever", or "At", and don't have a colon in their text
>> anywhere.

KB> We all know what "equip 1" means, but this can still be
KB> confusing, as there
KB> is no "1:" on any equipment. It's a strange setup that I never
KB> quite
KB> understood - like Lightning Rift. Shouldn't that be something
KB> like:

KB> 1: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Use this ability only
KB> when
KB> you cycle a card.

Except that you don't have a priority (which you need to play activated
abilities) when you (or "a player", as on an actual Lighning Rift) cycle
a card...

Besides, the way Lightning Rift is currently worded your payment of {1}
and damage dealing are indivisible (nice, unless you have infinite
mana) - sure, you choose the target as the ability goes on the stack
(right after it triggered, before a player gets priority), but you
choose to pay (or not) and deal the damage only on resolution. If a
player, say, unsummons the creature in response to it being targeted,
you don't even get a chance to pay {1}...

An example:
With Cowardice in play, LR is a *free* way to unsummon creatures. This
is not so in your version.

Regards,
Arkady.

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Triggered abilities always start with one of the three words "When",
>>> "Whenever", or "At", and don't have a colon in their text anywhere.
>
>KB> We all know what "equip 1" means, but this can still be confusing, as there
>KB> is no "1:" on any equipment.

_Someone_ is totally ignoring their reminder text, then; I see a "1:" quite
clearly in the reminder text, for example, for Bonesplitter, as pictured on
the Mirrodin page:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/expansion/mirrodin#famous

>It's a strange setup that I never quite understood - like Lightning Rift.

Um, _not_ like Lightning Rift, which has a triggered ability, not an
activated one, at all. Equip is an activated ability; Lightning Rift's
ability is triggered. Cycling, the playing of which ability Lightning Rift
triggers -off of-, is activated, as its reminder text notes. Etc.

>An example:
>With Cowardice in play, LR is a *free* way to unsummon creatures. This
>is not so in your version.

In a more general answer, activated abilities have the colon, and do NOT
start with "when", "whenever", or 'at'; they will have an activation cost
which must be paid on announcement. Triggered abilities have no colon, and
start with "When", "Whenever", or "at", and have _no_ costs that must be
paid on announcement. They both use the stack, and both -resolve- the same
way, but are announced somewhat differently.

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, David!
You wrote on 20 Apr 2004 16:32:41 -0400:

<The next two lines are from an earlier post by Ken Briscoe>
>>It's a strange setup that I never quite understood - like Lightning
>>Rift.

DD> Um, _not_ like Lightning Rift, which has a triggered ability,
DD> not an
DD> activated one, at all. Equip is an activated ability; Lightning
DD> Rift's
DD> ability is triggered.
I guess Ken is an old-school player and remembers those times when the
difference between triggered and activated abilities was not so
well-defined.
Take, for example, the text on 4th Edition Ivory Cup...

Regards,
Arkady.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>You wrote on 20 Apr 2004 16:32:41 -0400:
>DD> Um, _not_ like Lightning Rift, which has a triggered ability, not an
>DD> activated one, at all. Equip is an activated ability; Lightning Rift's
>DD> ability is triggered.
>I guess Ken is an old-school player and remembers those times when the
>difference between triggered and activated abilities was not so well-defined.

Long long time ago...

>Take, for example, the text on 4th Edition Ivory Cup...

Well, yes, the lucky charms were the main offenders in that respect, but
did get better as the years (and rules) went by:

Ivory Cup Poly Artifact 1
1: Any white spell cast by any player gives you 1 life. [UL]
Ivory Cup Artifact 1
1: Any white spell cast gives you 1 life. Can only give 1 life each time a
white spell is cast. [RV]
Ivory Cup Artifact 1
1: Gain 1 life for a successfully cast white spell. Use this effect either when
the spell is cast or later in the turn but only once for each white spell cast.
[4E]
Ivory Cup Artifact 1 U1
1: Gain 1 life. Use this ability only when a white spell is successfully cast
and only once for each such spell. [5E]
Ivory Cup Artifact 1 U
Whenever a player plays a white spell, you may pay 1. If you do, you gain 1
life. [6E,7E,8E]

The main problem being that triggered abilities weren't really recognized as
such early on and didn't have good consistent rules until about 5th Edition,
when they went 'in series' like other "specialized effects"...

Dave