DVD Players all crash when attempting to play DVD

Real, MS Media Player 10, PowerDVD, InterActual, etc. all crash when trying
to play a DVD movie. After the crash, I let it send the error report to MS,
but I never get any feedback.

I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and attempting to play a movie in either
yields the exact same problem.

I can open the DVD's in an explorer window with no problems. I can access
the files and treat them as data discs without complication. It's only when
I try to play a movie that there is a problem. I have tried various movies,
same exact problem for all of them. These same discs work fine on other
computers.

I used to be able to play movies on my computer, but it's been several
months since I last tried, so I have no idea what might have changed in that
time. As far as I can tell, I don't have any other problems with Windows. In
fact, I've been very happy how stable and responsive this system has been
(posting this message from that same computer right now).

I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on this sort of problem. I
have Windows XP with SP2 and all CD/DVD related updates installed. Up to
date antivirus software too. The computer is a dual CPU AMD Opteron system,
if that makes any difference (wouldn't think so, because like I said, I used
to be able to play movies on this computer).

Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated.

Thanks,
Colin

Reinstall the software's

"Colin Higbie" wrote:

> Real, MS Media Player 10, PowerDVD, InterActual, etc. all crash when trying
> to play a DVD movie. After the crash, I let it send the error report to MS,
> but I never get any feedback.
>
> I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and attempting to play a movie in either
> yields the exact same problem.
>
> I can open the DVD's in an explorer window with no problems. I can access
> the files and treat them as data discs without complication. It's only when
> I try to play a movie that there is a problem. I have tried various movies,
> same exact problem for all of them. These same discs work fine on other
> computers.
>
> I used to be able to play movies on my computer, but it's been several
> months since I last tried, so I have no idea what might have changed in that
> time. As far as I can tell, I don't have any other problems with Windows. In
> fact, I've been very happy how stable and responsive this system has been
> (posting this message from that same computer right now).
>
> I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on this sort of problem. I
> have Windows XP with SP2 and all CD/DVD related updates installed. Up to
> date antivirus software too. The computer is a dual CPU AMD Opteron system,
> if that makes any difference (wouldn't think so, because like I said, I used
> to be able to play movies on this computer).
>
> Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated.
>
> Thanks,
> Colin

Funny. Thanks. Right, all 4 DVD programs are bad on two separate DVD drives
from different manufacturers. I don't think so.

One of the programs, InterActual, I installed after I had already witnessed
the others not working. Same problem.

Any other suggestions?

- Colin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:05:42 -0500, Colin Higbie wrote:

> Real, MS Media Player 10, PowerDVD, InterActual, etc. all crash when trying
> to play a DVD movie. After the crash, I let it send the error report to MS,
> but I never get any feedback.
>
> I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and attempting to play a movie in either
> yields the exact same problem.
>
> I can open the DVD's in an explorer window with no problems. I can access
> the files and treat them as data discs without complication. It's only when
> I try to play a movie that there is a problem. I have tried various movies,
> same exact problem for all of them. These same discs work fine on other
> computers.
>
> I used to be able to play movies on my computer, but it's been several
> months since I last tried, so I have no idea what might have changed in that
> time. As far as I can tell, I don't have any other problems with Windows. In
> fact, I've been very happy how stable and responsive this system has been
> (posting this message from that same computer right now).
>
> I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on this sort of problem. I
> have Windows XP with SP2 and all CD/DVD related updates installed. Up to
> date antivirus software too. The computer is a dual CPU AMD Opteron system,
> if that makes any difference (wouldn't think so, because like I said, I used
> to be able to play movies on this computer).
>
> Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated.
>
> Thanks,
> Colin

You don't happen to have a packet writing software such as InCD installed?
I had problems on my system with InCD Reader installed. I uninstalled it
and my DVD drive began working properly again. HTH.

Patty

start>run>sfc/scannow

"Patty" wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:05:42 -0500, Colin Higbie wrote:
>
> > Real, MS Media Player 10, PowerDVD, InterActual, etc. all crash when trying
> > to play a DVD movie. After the crash, I let it send the error report to MS,
> > but I never get any feedback.
> >
> > I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and attempting to play a movie in either
> > yields the exact same problem.
> >
> > I can open the DVD's in an explorer window with no problems. I can access
> > the files and treat them as data discs without complication. It's only when
> > I try to play a movie that there is a problem. I have tried various movies,
> > same exact problem for all of them. These same discs work fine on other
> > computers.
> >
> > I used to be able to play movies on my computer, but it's been several
> > months since I last tried, so I have no idea what might have changed in that
> > time. As far as I can tell, I don't have any other problems with Windows. In
> > fact, I've been very happy how stable and responsive this system has been
> > (posting this message from that same computer right now).
> >
> > I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on this sort of problem. I
> > have Windows XP with SP2 and all CD/DVD related updates installed. Up to
> > date antivirus software too. The computer is a dual CPU AMD Opteron system,
> > if that makes any difference (wouldn't think so, because like I said, I used
> > to be able to play movies on this computer).
> >
> > Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Colin
>
> You don't happen to have a packet writing software such as InCD installed?
> I had problems on my system with InCD Reader installed. I uninstalled it
> and my DVD drive began working properly again. HTH.
>
> Patty

I do have InCD installed. I tried stopping the service, but I had the same
problem with DVD's. Do I need to completely uninstall it? I use it from time
to time and would prefer not to lose it entirely. But I would do that if
that's what I have to do to be able to play DVD's.

Thanks,
Colin

"Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:05:42 -0500, Colin Higbie wrote:
>
>> Real, MS Media Player 10, PowerDVD, InterActual, etc. all crash when
>> trying
>> to play a DVD movie. After the crash, I let it send the error report to
>> MS,
>> but I never get any feedback.
>>
>> I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and attempting to play a movie in
>> either
>> yields the exact same problem.
>>
>> I can open the DVD's in an explorer window with no problems. I can access
>> the files and treat them as data discs without complication. It's only
>> when
>> I try to play a movie that there is a problem. I have tried various
>> movies,
>> same exact problem for all of them. These same discs work fine on other
>> computers.
>>
>> I used to be able to play movies on my computer, but it's been several
>> months since I last tried, so I have no idea what might have changed in
>> that
>> time. As far as I can tell, I don't have any other problems with Windows.
>> In
>> fact, I've been very happy how stable and responsive this system has been
>> (posting this message from that same computer right now).
>>
>> I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on this sort of problem. I
>> have Windows XP with SP2 and all CD/DVD related updates installed. Up to
>> date antivirus software too. The computer is a dual CPU AMD Opteron
>> system,
>> if that makes any difference (wouldn't think so, because like I said, I
>> used
>> to be able to play movies on this computer).
>>
>> Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Colin
>
> You don't happen to have a packet writing software such as InCD installed?
> I had problems on my system with InCD Reader installed. I uninstalled it
> and my DVD drive began working properly again. HTH.
>
> Patty

sfc keeps reporting that I need to insert the Windows XP disk, even when
it's in the drive. Does this revert DLL's back to the old versions, before
applying Service Packs and updates? That would be bad. Or, does it just
confirm that every DLL is either the original MS file, or is a new version
downloaded and installed by Windows Update, which would be fine?