Constant Freezing

Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing. It
happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont know
what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery and
it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy over
here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
--
me
14 answers Last reply

    If you are 100% certain that it is Virus and Spyware Free, call Compaq and
    ask for a replacement!

    "costellajones89" wrote:

    > Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing. It
    > happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont know
    > what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery and
    > it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    > helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy over
    > here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    > --
    > me

    Well I've run all the Virus and Spyware games known to man-kind, but will
    they send me a new one I've had the computer for close to two years now

    "costellajones89" <nextphenom23@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing.
    > It
    > happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont
    > know
    > what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery
    > and
    > it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    > helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy
    > over
    > here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    > --

    It could be almost anything in your pc causing the problem. If you are
    certain it is not spyware or a virus it is probably hardware related.
    Possible causes could be overheating (bad fan), power supply starting to
    fail, bad ram, bad video card, bad network card, hard drive starting to
    fail, etc..

    At first you say the computer is brand new. In another post you say it is
    two years old. If your pc is two years old it didn't have the SP2 updates in
    Windows. When you did the system restore were you connected to the internet?
    If so you probably were infected with a worm while doing the restore. You
    should try restoring while not connected to the internet. Once the system is
    restored install a firewall or hook up a router between you and your
    internet connection. Once connected immediately download and install all the
    Windows updates including SP2 before doing anything else. Another problem
    with Compaq's is all the free trial software installed by Compaq. Some of
    this software is really adware/spyware. Most of it can be uninstalled via
    add/remove programs in the control panel. If you do a system restore all of
    this adware is reinstalled.

    Hope this helps.

    Kerry

    You may have a defective video adapter. Try installing the latest
    Windows XP compatible drivers. If that does not cure the problem,
    your video adapter should be replaced.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "costellajones89" wrote:

    | Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing. It
    | happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont know
    | what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery and
    | it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    | helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy over
    | here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    | --
    | me

    What's a video adapter? I really dont know what that is

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You may have a defective video adapter. Try installing the latest
    > Windows XP compatible drivers. If that does not cure the problem,
    > your video adapter should be replaced.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "costellajones89" wrote:
    >
    > | Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing. It
    > | happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont know
    > | what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery and
    > | it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    > | helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy over
    > | here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    > | --
    > | me

    The video adapter or video card is the device you attach
    your monitor cable to. If the video adapter is built-in
    to the motherboard, the motherboard would have to be replaced.
    If you have a video card inserted in a slot, it can easily
    be replaced.

    If your Compaq computer is still under warranty, contact
    Compaq support for assistance.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "costellajones89" wrote:

    | What's a video adapter? I really dont know what that is

    I had this problem alot with my computer... i doubt it would be the problem
    but my computer was overheating when it froze... and it did it ALOT and it
    really started to piss me off... but a nice box fan worked till i could get
    another heatsink and the problem was fixed after that... i doubt it is the
    problem since its from a manufacturor but it could be possible... have you
    changed the hardware inside it any since you got it?

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > The video adapter or video card is the device you attach
    > your monitor cable to. If the video adapter is built-in
    > to the motherboard, the motherboard would have to be replaced.
    > If you have a video card inserted in a slot, it can easily
    > be replaced.
    >
    > If your Compaq computer is still under warranty, contact
    > Compaq support for assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "costellajones89" wrote:
    >
    > | What's a video adapter? I really dont know what that is

    Are you doing something in particular when it freezes or it freezes randomly?

    "costellajones89" <nextphenom23@earthlink.net> escribió en el mensaje news:EC178C7E-640B-474A-8D78-C8D352A2A5E5@microsoft.com...
    > Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing. It
    > happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont know
    > what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery and
    > it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    > helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy over
    > here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    > --
    > me

    Well I would say random, but also it seems to occur alot when I'm online and
    since I have dsl I'm always on

    "José Gallardo" wrote:

    > Are you doing something in particular when it freezes or it freezes randomly?
    >
    > "costellajones89" <nextphenom23@earthlink.net> escribió en el mensaje news:EC178C7E-640B-474A-8D78-C8D352A2A5E5@microsoft.com...
    > > Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing. It
    > > happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont know
    > > what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery and
    > > it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    > > helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy over
    > > here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    > > --
    > > me

    Thanks, do you think I should call Compaq. No I do sytem restore when I'm not
    connected. So you think that the problem could be hardware related? I
    contacted a computer expert and he couldnt find the problem. And I tried the
    SP2 update and my computer would freeze up everytime I started it. Also how
    do I repair the fan? Or would it be best to get a new computer? I always
    uninstall Compaq's games and other things like that. And can you explain what
    a video card and network card is? Thanks alot!

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "costellajones89" <nextphenom23@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Every since I've gotten my computer my computer has had constant freezing.
    > > It
    > > happens at least twice a day. I have a brand new Compaq Presario. I dont
    > > know
    > > what the problem is. I've tried System Restore and Full System recovery
    > > and
    > > it hasnt worked. I'm ready to throw this computer away. System Restore has
    > > helped me a couple of times but that's it. We've gotten a computer guy
    > > over
    > > here and he cant find the problem either. What else can I do?
    > > --
    >
    > It could be almost anything in your pc causing the problem. If you are
    > certain it is not spyware or a virus it is probably hardware related.
    > Possible causes could be overheating (bad fan), power supply starting to
    > fail, bad ram, bad video card, bad network card, hard drive starting to
    > fail, etc..
    >
    > At first you say the computer is brand new. In another post you say it is
    > two years old. If your pc is two years old it didn't have the SP2 updates in
    > Windows. When you did the system restore were you connected to the internet?
    > If so you probably were infected with a worm while doing the restore. You
    > should try restoring while not connected to the internet. Once the system is
    > restored install a firewall or hook up a router between you and your
    > internet connection. Once connected immediately download and install all the
    > Windows updates including SP2 before doing anything else. Another problem
    > with Compaq's is all the free trial software installed by Compaq. Some of
    > this software is really adware/spyware. Most of it can be uninstalled via
    > add/remove programs in the control panel. If you do a system restore all of
    > this adware is reinstalled.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Kerry

    Where could you get a box fan from? If your warranty is up can you still get
    a replacement. I also think that I have a two year warranty.

    "Gimp" wrote:

    > I had this problem alot with my computer... i doubt it would be the problem
    > but my computer was overheating when it froze... and it did it ALOT and it
    > really started to piss me off... but a nice box fan worked till i could get
    > another heatsink and the problem was fixed after that... i doubt it is the
    > problem since its from a manufacturor but it could be possible... have you
    > changed the hardware inside it any since you got it?
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > The video adapter or video card is the device you attach
    > > your monitor cable to. If the video adapter is built-in
    > > to the motherboard, the motherboard would have to be replaced.
    > > If you have a video card inserted in a slot, it can easily
    > > be replaced.
    > >
    > > If your Compaq computer is still under warranty, contact
    > > Compaq support for assistance.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > > "costellajones89" wrote:
    > >
    > > | What's a video adapter? I really dont know what that is

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Thanks, do you think I should call Compaq. No I do sytem restore when I'm
    > not
    > connected. So you think that the problem could be hardware related? I
    > contacted a computer expert and he couldnt find the problem. And I tried
    > the
    > SP2 update and my computer would freeze up everytime I started it. Also
    > how
    > do I repair the fan? Or would it be best to get a new computer? I always
    > uninstall Compaq's games and other things like that. And can you explain
    > what
    > a video card and network card is? Thanks alot!

    It could be hardware or software. It is hard to tell by long distance :-)
    From the symptoms you have described I would guess hardware but it is just a
    guess. If it is software you usually get some kind of error message.

    In an earlier post you indicated you use ADSL. If the ADSL modem is powered
    up and connected to your computer then you are connected even if you are not
    actively using the internet.

    You should check with Compaq as to whether your computer is compatible with
    SP2. It sounds like it may not be from what you have described. If it is not
    compatible with SP2 it is imperative that you have a firewall installed or
    you will be infected in a matter of minutes when connected to the internet.
    A good free firewall is Zone Alarm (www.zonelabs.com) another one is Kerio
    Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com). You should have the installation files
    for a firewall on CDROM and install it after doing a system restore and
    before connecting to the internet. An easier solution would be buy a router
    and connect it between your computer and the ADSL modem.

    A video card is the part inside your computer that generates the display for
    your monitor. The network card is to hook up to a network e.g. the internet
    with a ADSL modem. A lot of Compaq computers have these built onto the
    motherboard (main circuit board).

    Kerry
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Would it be better for me to replace the computer and how long does Compaq's
    warranties usually long I'm not sure but I think it might be two years? And
    also where can you get a new video card from. And do you believe that
    constant freezing problem is caused by being connected to the internet. Like
    today it has frozen up already like 3 times. What do you think I need to
    replace

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "costellajones89" <nextphenom23@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, do you think I should call Compaq. No I do sytem restore when I'm
    > > not
    > > connected. So you think that the problem could be hardware related? I
    > > contacted a computer expert and he couldnt find the problem. And I tried
    > > the
    > > SP2 update and my computer would freeze up everytime I started it. Also
    > > how
    > > do I repair the fan? Or would it be best to get a new computer? I always
    > > uninstall Compaq's games and other things like that. And can you explain
    > > what
    > > a video card and network card is? Thanks alot!
    > >

    > It could be hardware or software. It is hard to tell by long distance :-)
    > From the symptoms you have described I would guess hardware but it is just a
    > guess. If it is software you usually get some kind of error message.
    >
    > In an earlier post you indicated you use ADSL. If the ADSL modem is powered
    > up and connected to your computer then you are connected even if you are not
    > actively using the internet.
    >
    > You should check with Compaq as to whether your computer is compatible with
    > SP2. It sounds like it may not be from what you have described. If it is not
    > compatible with SP2 it is imperative that you have a firewall installed or
    > you will be infected in a matter of minutes when connected to the internet.
    > A good free firewall is Zone Alarm (www.zonelabs.com) another one is Kerio
    > Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com). You should have the installation files
    > for a firewall on CDROM and install it after doing a system restore and
    > before connecting to the internet. An easier solution would be buy a router
    > and connect it between your computer and the ADSL modem.
    >
    > A video card is the part inside your computer that generates the display for
    > your monitor. The network card is to hook up to a network e.g. the internet
    > with a ADSL modem. A lot of Compaq computers have these built onto the
    > motherboard (main circuit board).
    >
    > Kerry

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Would it be better for me to replace the computer and how long does
    > Compaq's
    > warranties usually long I'm not sure but I think it might be two years?
    > And
    > also where can you get a new video card from. And do you believe that
    > constant freezing problem is caused by being connected to the internet.
    > Like
    > today it has frozen up already like 3 times. What do you think I need to
    > replace

    You're asking me to make a judgement on a computer I haven't seen. You
    should get a second opinion from another computer shop. You should also
    phone Compaq and see if your computer is compatible with SP2. If it is not
    compatible I wouldn't spend very much money to get it repaired. I don't
    think there is any more help anyone can give you without physically
    examining the computer. No offence to you but your lack of computer
    knowledge makes it hard to help you via a newsgroup.

    Kerry

Computers System Restore Windows XP