Please help with my Cleric Deck

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi guys,

I play in a casual group (no real restrictions) and the deck does ok. A bit
slow getting started sometimes and can struggle against goblin (quick)
decks, but once it gets going it's not bad at all.

If you sageous folk can help fine tune, I'd be mightly appreciative. It's
probably too large (67?) but I don't know where to trim. :(

What works really well is when there's a Grave Pact, Cabal Archon and Sigil
in play I can B - sac a cleric (opponent loses 2 life, I gain 2 life), Sigil
to return cleric from graveyard to play and recast the cleric (hopefully a
cheap one) same turn. With the Grave Pact in play, the opponent loses a
creature (or two if both grave pacts are in play). I've only managed to get
that machine running twice. But it wins more than it loses as it stands, I
just feel that you people might be able to fine tune it even more, turn the
Ford into a Ferrari so to speak. :)

"Collingwood Clerics" (black/white)
Deck Size: 67

Land (25):
- 13 Swamp
- 10 Plains
- 1 Starlit Sanctum (sac clerics for life gain, or opponent life loss)
- 1 Ebon Stronghold (tap for B, sac for BB)

Creatures (22) :
Black:
- 4 Rotlung Reanimators (zombie factory)
- 4 Cabal Archon (B, Sac cleric to drain 2 life, gain 2 life)

White:
- 4 Daunting Defender (prevent 1 damage for each cleric in play)
- 3 Doubtless One (*/* = # clerics, damage dealt = life gain)
- 2 Whigrass Entanglers (1W to help prevent critters attacking in early
game)
- 2 Songstitcher (1W attacking creature with flying deals no damage,
flying can hurt this deck.)
- 1 Akromas Devoted (all clercis don't tao to attack)

Gold
- 2 Edgewalkers (lowers cost of cleric casting)

Spells
Black (12)
- 3 Misery Charm
- 3 Profane prayers (damage = # clerics in play, gain that much life)
- 2 Demonic Tutor (get stuff from deck)
- 2 Grave Pact
- 1 No Mercy (helps against flying)
- 1 Patriarchs Bidding (used to return all clerics from graveyard to
play)

White (7):
- 3 Disenchant
- 3 Glorious Anthem
- 1 Sigil of New Dawn (helps in the Cabal sac engine)

Artifact (1)
- Cryptic Gateway (tap 2 untapped clerics, put one into play)

TIA,

Tim

Doyle

"Tim" <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote in message news:<40852df2$0$16595$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> "Collingwood Clerics" (black/white)
> Deck Size: 67
>
> Land (25):
> - 13 Swamp
> - 10 Plains
> - 1 Starlit Sanctum (sac clerics for life gain, or opponent life loss)
> - 1 Ebon Stronghold (tap for B, sac for BB)
>
> Creatures (22) :
> Black:
> - 4 Rotlung Reanimators (zombie factory)
> - 4 Cabal Archon (B, Sac cleric to drain 2 life, gain 2 life)
>
> White:
> - 4 Daunting Defender (prevent 1 damage for each cleric in play)
> - 3 Doubtless One (*/* = # clerics, damage dealt = life gain)
> - 2 Whigrass Entanglers (1W to help prevent critters attacking in early
> game)
> - 2 Songstitcher (1W attacking creature with flying deals no damage,
> flying can hurt this deck.)
> - 1 Akromas Devoted (all clercis don't tap to attack)
>
> Gold
> - 2 Edgewalkers (lowers cost of cleric casting)
>
> Spells
> Black (12)
> - 3 Misery Charm
> - 3 Profane prayers (damage = # clerics in play, gain that much life)
> - 2 Demonic Tutor (get stuff from deck)
> - 2 Grave Pact
> - 1 No Mercy (helps against flying)
> - 1 Patriarchs Bidding (used to return all clerics from graveyard to
> play)
>
> White (7):
> - 3 Disenchant
> - 3 Glorious Anthem
> - 1 Sigil of New Dawn (helps in the Cabal sac engine)
>
> Artifact (1)
> - Cryptic Gateway (tap 2 untapped clerics, put one into play)

The first problem with your deck is that it is too color intensive.
You have spells with WW and BBB in the same deck. That is considered a
general no-no unless you have a lot of multilands. Given the spells in
your deck you probably want to go Bw. If you are aiming for a land mix
of 16/8, you want to push your card selections that way. Eliminate
anything with an intensive white color component. [3x Glorious
Anthems, 2x Whipgrass Entanglers]. Take the cream of the white crop
and discard the rest [4 x Daunting Defender]. Next we want to
eliminate inactive cards, cards that don't get a lot done by
themselves [1 x Gateway, 2 x Edgewalkers]. Add in active cards. I'd
choose Headhunters or a Withered Wretches to bring back up the total
number of cards to 60.

If you are playing Type I, take advantage of the total number of
clerics available.

Here is the complete list of clerics available:
http://spoilers.mtgnews.com/display.php?namelike=&m1=AND&textlike=&o=1&m2=AND&flavorlike=&m3=AND&s_all=All&c_all=All&m4=OR&cz=0&ccl=0&ccu=99&t%5BT4%5D=AC&class%5B%5D=521&class%5B%5D=575&class%5B%5D=80%2C521%2C575%2C523%2C422%2C520%2C537%2C555%2C524%2C526%2C81%2C578%2C585%2C527%2C536&class%5B%5D=523&class%5B%5D=422&class%5B%5D=520&class%5B%5D=537&class%5B%5D=555&class%5B%5D=524&class%5B%5D=526&clas
%5B%5D=578&class%5B%5D=585&class%5B%5D=527&class%5B%5D=536&pwrop=%3D&pwr=-&pwrcc=-&tghop=%3D&tgh=-&tghcc=-&r_all=All&sb1=2&sb2=4&sb3=3&sb4=4&style=5&ps=25&flavor=1&artist=1&action=Fetch&p=1

Clerics with spoilers:
http://spoilers.mtgnews.com/display.php?namelike=&m1=AND&textlike=&o=1&m2=AND&flavorlike=&m3=AND&s_all=All&c_all=All&m4=OR&cz=0&ccl=0&ccu=99&t%5BT4%5D=AC&class%5B%5D=521&class%5B%5D=575&class%5B%5D=80%2C521%2C575%2C523%2C422%2C520%2C537%2C555%2C524%2C526%2C81%2C578%2C585%2C527%2C536&class%5B%5D=523&class%5B%5D=422&class%5B%5D=520&class%5B%5D=537&class%5B%5D=555&class%5B%5D=524&class%5B%5D=526&clas
%5B%5D=578&class%5B%5D=585&class%5B%5D=527&class%5B%5D=536&pwrop=%3D&pwr=-&pwrcc=-&tghop=%3D&tgh=-&tghcc=-&r_all=All&sb1=2&sb2=4&sb3=3&sb4=4&style=2&ps=25&flavor=1&artist=1&action=Fetch&p=1

I might play a Wb cleric deck with Master Apothecaries preventing me
from getting damaged while a Beloved Chaplain smacks around my
opponent.

mypetrock

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

To reply to myself I'll add:

> What works really well is when there's a Grave Pact, Cabal Archon and
Sigil
> in play I can B - sac a cleric (opponent loses 2 life, I gain 2 life),
Sigil
> to return cleric from graveyard to play and recast the cleric (hopefully a
> cheap one) same turn. With the Grave Pact in play, the opponent loses a
> creature (or two if both grave pacts are in play).

Forgot a bit: With a Rotlung (or more) in play sac'ing a cleric leaves
behind a Zombie (or more) each time I do this. The zombies (with Glorious
Anthem) can usually be sent to smash the opponent.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi there,

I'm not quite sure if what I-m telling you is true, because I'm new into
this, but I believe no cleric deck is good without Mother of Runes.. Also
think about Beloved Chaplains, Hallowed Healers and a few more Akroma's
Devoted.. I've also put 3 Loxodon Warhammers into the deck..
I threw Profane Prayers out of my deck beacause it is very expensive to cast
and besides that when I have 4 or more clerics in play the game is allready
more or less won for me..
Mothers protect my creatures, Healers add extra protection from damage and
with Doubtless One's and Loxodon Warhammers I gain as much life as I need to
last another few rounds.. And if the Akroma's Devoted is in the game, it
gets even better.. They protect me in the next round..

> [...]
> - 2 Edgewalkers (lowers cost of cleric casting)
>
> Spells
> Black (12)
> - 3 Misery Charm
> - 3 Profane prayers (damage = # clerics in play, gain that much life)
> - 2 Demonic Tutor (get stuff from deck)
> - 2 Grave Pact
> - 1 No Mercy (helps against flying)
> - 1 Patriarchs Bidding (used to return all clerics from graveyard to
> play)
>
> White (7):
> - 3 Disenchant
> - 3 Glorious Anthem
> - 1 Sigil of New Dawn (helps in the Cabal sac engine)
>
> Artifact (1)
> - Cryptic Gateway (tap 2 untapped clerics, put one into play)
>
> TIA,
>
> Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I would probably add 2 more land.
You need some creature removals.
wing shards (white, sacrifice attacking creature with storm)
or another one in black like terror or dark banishing
maybe vindicate(a BW sorcery, but it destroy a permanent)
and wrath of god (mass removal) would welp

And I think there is in Fallen Empire, clerics, a black one and a white
one, that transform
any mana into color mana of the cleric's color.

Carl

Tim wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I play in a casual group (no real restrictions) and the deck does ok. A bit
>slow getting started sometimes and can struggle against goblin (quick)
>decks, but once it gets going it's not bad at all.
>
>If you sageous folk can help fine tune, I'd be mightly appreciative. It's
>probably too large (67?) but I don't know where to trim. :(
>
>What works really well is when there's a Grave Pact, Cabal Archon and Sigil
>in play I can B - sac a cleric (opponent loses 2 life, I gain 2 life), Sigil
>to return cleric from graveyard to play and recast the cleric (hopefully a
>cheap one) same turn. With the Grave Pact in play, the opponent loses a
>creature (or two if both grave pacts are in play). I've only managed to get
>that machine running twice. But it wins more than it loses as it stands, I
>just feel that you people might be able to fine tune it even more, turn the
>Ford into a Ferrari so to speak. :)
>
>"Collingwood Clerics" (black/white)
>Deck Size: 67
>
>Land (25):
> - 13 Swamp
> - 10 Plains
> - 1 Starlit Sanctum (sac clerics for life gain, or opponent life loss)
> - 1 Ebon Stronghold (tap for B, sac for BB)
>
>Creatures (22) :
> Black:
> - 4 Rotlung Reanimators (zombie factory)
> - 4 Cabal Archon (B, Sac cleric to drain 2 life, gain 2 life)
>
> White:
> - 4 Daunting Defender (prevent 1 damage for each cleric in play)
> - 3 Doubtless One (*/* = # clerics, damage dealt = life gain)
> - 2 Whigrass Entanglers (1W to help prevent critters attacking in early
>game)
> - 2 Songstitcher (1W attacking creature with flying deals no damage,
>flying can hurt this deck.)
> - 1 Akromas Devoted (all clercis don't tao to attack)
>
> Gold
> - 2 Edgewalkers (lowers cost of cleric casting)
>
>Spells
> Black (12)
> - 3 Misery Charm
> - 3 Profane prayers (damage = # clerics in play, gain that much life)
> - 2 Demonic Tutor (get stuff from deck)
> - 2 Grave Pact
> - 1 No Mercy (helps against flying)
> - 1 Patriarchs Bidding (used to return all clerics from graveyard to
>play)
>
> White (7):
> - 3 Disenchant
> - 3 Glorious Anthem
> - 1 Sigil of New Dawn (helps in the Cabal sac engine)
>
> Artifact (1)
> - Cryptic Gateway (tap 2 untapped clerics, put one into play)
>
>TIA,
>
>Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Stay with the Cleric theme and play Deathmark Prelate. If you manage
to get Zombies out with the Rotlung, the Prelate can start picking off
creatures.

 Deathmark Prelate
 Creature-Cleric
 3B     2/3

2B, TAP, Sacrifice a Zombie: Destroy target non-Zombie creature. It
can''t be regenerated. Play this ability only any time you could play
a sorcery.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:47:48 -0400, Carl Joly <palomides@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>You need some creature removals.

>Tim wrote:
>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I play in a casual group (no real restrictions) and the deck does ok. A bit
>>slow getting started sometimes and can struggle against goblin (quick)
>>decks, but once it gets going it's not bad at all.
>>
>>If you sageous folk can help fine tune, I'd be mightly appreciative. It's
>>probably too large (67?) but I don't know where to trim. :(
>>
>>What works really well is when there's a Grave Pact, Cabal Archon and Sigil
>>in play I can B - sac a cleric (opponent loses 2 life, I gain 2 life), Sigil
>>to return cleric from graveyard to play and recast the cleric (hopefully a
>>cheap one) same turn. With the Grave Pact in play, the opponent loses a
>>creature (or two if both grave pacts are in play). I've only managed to get
>>that machine running twice. But it wins more than it loses as it stands, I
>>just feel that you people might be able to fine tune it even more, turn the
>>Ford into a Ferrari so to speak. :)
>>
>>"Collingwood Clerics" (black/white)
>>Deck Size: 67
>>
>>Land (25):
>> - 13 Swamp
>> - 10 Plains
>> - 1 Starlit Sanctum (sac clerics for life gain, or opponent life loss)
>> - 1 Ebon Stronghold (tap for B, sac for BB)
>>
>>Creatures (22) :
>> Black:
>> - 4 Rotlung Reanimators (zombie factory)
>> - 4 Cabal Archon (B, Sac cleric to drain 2 life, gain 2 life)
>>
>> White:
>> - 4 Daunting Defender (prevent 1 damage for each cleric in play)
>> - 3 Doubtless One (*/* = # clerics, damage dealt = life gain)
>> - 2 Whigrass Entanglers (1W to help prevent critters attacking in early
>>game)
>> - 2 Songstitcher (1W attacking creature with flying deals no damage,
>>flying can hurt this deck.)
>> - 1 Akromas Devoted (all clercis don't tao to attack)
>>
>> Gold
>> - 2 Edgewalkers (lowers cost of cleric casting)
>>
>>Spells
>> Black (12)
>> - 3 Misery Charm
>> - 3 Profane prayers (damage = # clerics in play, gain that much life)
>> - 2 Demonic Tutor (get stuff from deck)
>> - 2 Grave Pact
>> - 1 No Mercy (helps against flying)
>> - 1 Patriarchs Bidding (used to return all clerics from graveyard to
>>play)
>>
>> White (7):
>> - 3 Disenchant
>> - 3 Glorious Anthem
>> - 1 Sigil of New Dawn (helps in the Cabal sac engine)
>>
>> Artifact (1)
>> - Cryptic Gateway (tap 2 untapped clerics, put one into play)
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

The best cleric combo I know is Daru Spiratualist + Starlit Sanctum +
Lightning Greaves + any other creature. Move the greaves onto the
spiritualist and then to the other creature any number of times. Sac
the spiritualist (or the other creature if it is a tossable cleric) to
the Sanctum to gain any number times 2 + 1 in life.

clayton

"zelf gale" <zelf_gale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The best cleric combo I know is Daru Spiratualist + Starlit Sanctum +
> Lightning Greaves + any other creature. Move the greaves onto the
> spiritualist and then to the other creature any number of times. Sac
> the spiritualist (or the other creature if it is a tossable cleric) to
> the Sanctum to gain any number times 2 + 1 in life.

Only real problem is that it doesn't win games (Barring Test of Endurance)
Life-gaining is only a delay tactic normally, though it IS fun to gain insane
amounts of life, especially when you spawn more little life-gaining creatres while
doing it.

-------
Clayton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> > The best cleric combo I know is Daru Spiratualist + Starlit Sanctum +
> > Lightning Greaves + any other creature. Move the greaves onto the
> > spiritualist and then to the other creature any number of times. Sac
> > the spiritualist (or the other creature if it is a tossable cleric) to
> > the Sanctum to gain any number times 2 + 1 in life.
>
> Only real problem is that it doesn't win games (Barring Test of Endurance)
> Life-gaining is only a delay tactic normally, though it IS fun to gain insane
> amounts of life, especially when you spawn more little life-gaining creatres while
> doing it.

While the combo does not have "teeth" by itself life gain is extremely
undervalued. Remember again that this is an "infinite" combo and
without an "infinite" combo for damage or life loss the only way you
can lose is to deck out or an opponent's alternate win condition card.
Play the deck with 62 cards and a couple of disenchants and this
might become important. You can add teeth to the combo by inserting
an Transmutation and then using the lose life ability on the Starlit
Sanctum. Test of Endurance also would work to make the combo more
valuable. The cards by themselves though are useful in the deck. The
Spiratualist stops shock effects, the lightning greaves protect
important clerics and speed up attackers, and the Sanctum gives dying
clerics a chance to deal a final blow or give a little life back to
their controller.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> > > The best cleric combo I know is Daru Spiratualist + Starlit Sanctum +
> > > Lightning Greaves + any other creature. Move the greaves onto the
> > > spiritualist and then to the other creature any number of times. Sac
> > > the spiritualist (or the other creature if it is a tossable cleric) to
> > > the Sanctum to gain any number times 2 + 1 in life.
> >
> > Only real problem is that it doesn't win games (Barring Test of Endurance)
> > Life-gaining is only a delay tactic normally, though it IS fun to gain insane
> > amounts of life, especially when you spawn more little life-gaining creatres while
> > doing it.
>
> While the combo does not have "teeth" by itself life gain is extremely
> undervalued. Remember again that this is an "infinite" combo and
> without an "infinite" combo for damage or life loss the only way you
> can lose is to deck out or an opponent's alternate win condition card.
> Play the deck with 62 cards and a couple of disenchants and this
> might become important. You can add teeth to the combo by inserting
> an Transmutation and then using the lose life ability on the Starlit
> Sanctum. Test of Endurance also would work to make the combo more
> valuable. The cards by themselves though are useful in the deck. The
> Spiratualist stops shock effects, the lightning greaves protect
> important clerics and speed up attackers, and the Sanctum gives dying
> clerics a chance to deal a final blow or give a little life back to
> their controller.

There are also cards that let you pay life for various effect. Scourge's
"Unspeakable Symbol" lets you pay 3 life to pump your creatures, which
will make them win conditions. "Grimclaw Bats", while not a cleric, lets
you pay life to pump it up, and it flys as well.

- Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

"zelf gale" <zelf_gale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The best cleric combo I know is Daru Spiratualist + Starlit Sanctum +
> Lightning Greaves + any other creature. Move the greaves onto the
> spiritualist and then to the other creature any number of times. Sac
> the spiritualist (or the other creature if it is a tossable cleric) to
> the Sanctum to gain any number times 2 + 1 in life.

Weathered Wayfarer is strong in this type of deck, since it lets you search
for Starlit Sanctum.

If there are a lot of artifacts played in your local scene, Leonin Elder (gain
1 life whenever an artifact comes into play) and Disciple of the Vault (have a
target opponent lose 1 life whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from
play) are dynamite one-drops. Clay Pierce included Disciple of the Vault in a
black clerics deck he used to win the Southeast Regionals, a field rampant
with Ravager Affinity.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

disciples is a great card to play in the right conditions but ive been
working on another way to play it even if ur not against a artifact deck,
throw a island in and then imagecrafter, which :Choose a creature type
other than legend or wall. target creatures type becomes that type untill
end of turn.
combine with a cheap carrion feeder which allows u too sacrifice a
creature for a +1+1 on the feeder make one of ur cheap desposable clerics
into a 1pt loss of life, have 4 disciples out well they just lost 4 life
for ur one sacrifice u made your 1 black carrion feeder a bit bigger. I
asked the question a little while ago but i think its a keeper.

"garvdogart" <garvdart@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> disciples is a great card to play in the right conditions but ive been
> working on another way to play it even if ur not against a artifact deck,
> throw a island in and then imagecrafter, which :Choose a creature type
> other than legend or wall. target creatures type becomes that type untill
> end of turn.
> combine with a cheap carrion feeder which allows u too sacrifice a
> creature for a +1+1 on the feeder make one of ur cheap desposable clerics
> into a 1pt loss of life, have 4 disciples out well they just lost 4 life
> for ur one sacrifice u made your 1 black carrion feeder a bit bigger. I
> asked the question a little while ago but i think its a keeper.

You would have to sacrifice an artifact creature for the combo to work. An
Imagecrafter does not turn your creature into an artifact creature. It only
changes creature type, not card type. You would need to use either Memnarch
or Neurok Transmuter for a combo with the disciple.

Transmuter would be the easier way to go, it is cheaper in casting cost and
the ability is also cheaper, only U to activate. Memnarch casting cost is
much higher at 7 and the activated ability requires 1UU, but it allows you
to turn anything into an artifact not just creatures. Another bonus of
Memnarch is it allows you to steal an artifact from your opponent for 3U.
It is also a larger creature than the Transmuter, making it more of a threat
and harder to kill with burn. I would go with the Transmuter over the
Memnarch, it is easier to get out and cheaper to activate, setting up the
combo you desire earlier.

Moriok Rigger would be a good addition, since you are already black. It is
a lower casting cost creature also that will benefit from you sacing your
self-made artifact creatures. Also Arcbound creatures would work well in
this deck. This will take you away from a cleric deck! Maybe you could
call it your Human Deck instead.

With a Disciple, Carrion Feeder, Transmuter and any Arcbound creature in
play - turn your Feeder into an artifact creature with your Transmuter and
sac your Arcbound creature to your Feeder. This will give your Feeder a
+2/+2 (+1/+1 for the Feeder's ability and +1/+1 for the Arcbound's modular
ability) and your opponent loses 1 life. Do it during combat when the
Feeder is unblocked, and your opponent will have lost 4 life instead of 1
for not blocking. They will not make that mistake ever again!

That should be a moderately quick deck. Cheap creatures with the potential
of becoming very large the longer the game lasts. The hardest creature to
obtain would be a Rigger, the rest should be easy to find 4 copies of. Hope
this helps to spark some ideas.

~Ryan