Wordpad & Paint trying to use a forign language

When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
"print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.

I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
but wordpad isn't there.
How do I fix this?

TIA,
Frank
7 answers Last reply
More about wordpad paint forign language

    Hi Frank,

    This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
    resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)

    The above applies to the following products:

    Microsoft Paint
    Microsoft WordPad
    Microsoft Image Composer
    Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    Corel Photo-Paint

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
    > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
    > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
    > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
    > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
    > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
    >
    > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
    > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
    > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
    > but wordpad isn't there.
    > How do I fix this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Frank

    I'v had that problem for two + years. Thanks for solving it, I thought I'd
    have it forever!

    Dave B

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
    > resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    > C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    > C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
    >
    > The above applies to the following products:
    >
    > Microsoft Paint
    > Microsoft WordPad
    > Microsoft Image Composer
    > Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    > Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    > Corel Photo-Paint
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
    > > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
    > > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
    > > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
    > > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
    > > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
    > >
    > > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
    > > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
    > > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
    > > but wordpad isn't there.
    > > How do I fix this?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Frank

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:29:20 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Frank,
    >
    >This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
    >resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    >C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    >C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
    >
    >The above applies to the following products:
    >
    >Microsoft Paint
    >Microsoft WordPad
    >Microsoft Image Composer
    >Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    >Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    >Corel Photo-Paint

    Thanks You Ramesh.

    I've had the problem for some time & that fixed it !!

    Frank

    You're welcome Frank.

    --

    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:29:20 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Frank,
    >>
    >>This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder.
    >>resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    >>C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    >>C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
    >>
    >>The above applies to the following products:
    >>
    >>Microsoft Paint
    >>Microsoft WordPad
    >>Microsoft Image Composer
    >>Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    >>Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    >>Corel Photo-Paint
    >
    > Thanks You Ramesh.
    >
    > I've had the problem for some time & that fixed it !!
    >
    > Frank

    Thanks for the feedback Dave.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'v had that problem for two + years. Thanks for solving it, I thought
    > I'd
    > have it forever!
    >
    > Dave B
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder.
    >> resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    >> C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    >> C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
    >>
    >> The above applies to the following products:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Paint
    >> Microsoft WordPad
    >> Microsoft Image Composer
    >> Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    >> Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    >> Corel Photo-Paint
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
    >> > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
    >> > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
    >> > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
    >> > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
    >> > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
    >> >
    >> > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
    >> > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
    >> > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
    >> > but wordpad isn't there.
    >> > How do I fix this?
    >> >
    >> > TIA,
    >> > Frank

    Ramesh,
    Thank you for this information. I have been trying for over a
    month to resolve this issue, changing the name of the MFC42LOC.DLL took care
    of it. To be more specific I think the print preview toolbar menu had
    changed to Japanese characters. It also happened in some other applications.
    Your resolution took care of it.

    Ron

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
    > resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    > C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    > C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
    >
    > The above applies to the following products:
    >
    > Microsoft Paint
    > Microsoft WordPad
    > Microsoft Image Composer
    > Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    > Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    > Corel Photo-Paint
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
    > > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
    > > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
    > > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
    > > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
    > > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
    > >
    > > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
    > > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
    > > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
    > > but wordpad isn't there.
    > > How do I fix this?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Frank

    Thanks for the feedback Ron.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "radam42" <radam42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ramesh,
    > Thank you for this information. I have been trying for over
    > month to resolve this issue, changing the name of the MFC42LOC.DLL took
    > care
    > of it. To be more specific I think the print preview toolbar menu had
    > changed to Japanese characters. It also happened in some other
    > applications.
    > Your resolution took care of it.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder.
    >> resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
    >> C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
    >> C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
    >>
    >> The above applies to the following products:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Paint
    >> Microsoft WordPad
    >> Microsoft Image Composer
    >> Microsoft MapPoint 2000
    >> Adobe PhotoDeluxe
    >> Corel Photo-Paint
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
    >> > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
    >> > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
    >> > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
    >> > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
    >> > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
    >> >
    >> > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
    >> > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
    >> > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
    >> > but wordpad isn't there.
    >> > How do I fix this?
    >> >
    >> > TIA,
    >> > Frank