Trying to Break Genesis Chamber

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Okay, I had this interesting idea: what if I played Genesis Chamber and
used stuff like Nim Shreiker, Emissary of Despair, Disciple of the Vault,
Screams from Within and maybe Echoing Decay to wipe out whole masses of Myr
tokens. That way, my Myr tokens would boost my Shriekers, and the
opponent's tokens would cause them heartache when they died in battle or if
they got hit by the Emissary. Also, I had Burden of Greed to also punish
them for having the artifacts I gave them.

I had skullclamps for card drawing, Thunderstaffs to protect from the
potential Myr attack, and Leaden Myr to help speed stuff out, and to create
more artifact boosting and death. Also, the Myr could act as fodder for the
Skullclamp.

So, it kinda looked like this:
4 Nim Shrieker
4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Emissary of Despair
4 Leaden Myr

4 Genesis Chamber
4 Skullclamp
4 Thunderstaff

4 Screams from Within
4 Burden of Greed

Plus 20 swamps and 4 Vault of Whispers.

It's a neato concept, but it didn't work. Ever.
First of all, Burden of Greed only works on TAPPED artifacts. So, that went
out for 4 copies of Consume Spirit.

It's still a really fragile deck. Generally, it's REALLY susceptible to
removal. All the creatures have 1-butts and they just can't replenish
quickly enough. And even though they generate Myr on the way in, those Myr
are offset by the opponent's Myr. And, I can't get the creatures out fast
enough. Really, the Skullclamp doesn't come into effect fast enough.

I tried a couple other things like Bone Shard (only works on ARTIFACT
creatures. DOH! I *must* remember to read the cards!).

I've recently tried throwing in some blue for Thoughtcasts and Crystal
Shards (to bounce/save my guys after blocking), but that keeps them from
attacking. And also some Mask of Memories, but I haven't had a chance to
see those yet.

Really, the deck just isn't fast enough. It can't get the creatures out
fast enough, gets very quickly overwhelmed, can't hold its resources on the
board and can't replenish. Also, with everyone and their brother running 4
Skullclamps, they get all sorts of free card draw from the Myr.

I thought about adding maybe Chimeric Eggs, which can help on defense, but
that really seems to break the spirit of the deck. So, I'm open to ideas.

I may add some Nim Shamblers to up the creature count and offer ground
defense, as I should be able to sacrifce tokens. But, they are a little too
expensive. Great at 2, worthwhile at 3, a little overpriced at 4. Or maybe
Pewter Golems? But they're kind of pricy (5) as well.

I could go with some sort of artifact wall, maybe Wall of Spears.

Also, maybe throw in some red for artifact destruction, direct damage and
maybe Shrapnel Blast, but that kind of goes away from the concept too. If
there was some red spell like Detonate that delivered damage based on the #
of artifacts a player controlled, that'd be perfect. Or something that
destroyed all artifacts and caused damage to them.

In any case, the idea is to punish the opponent for having artifacts that
I've given them, and to reward myself for artifacts I have. I want them to
go "Wow, look at all these free creatures!" Then get creamed by them.

Does that make sense?
I'm open to suggestions.

Peter

Risser Family wrote:

> I'm open to suggestions.

Talk about convergence! I've been thinking about this very concept myself.
Genesis Chamber + Skullclamp + Disciple of the Vault = Big Trouble. Toss in
a Tangleroot to pay the cost of equipping the Skullclamp to a Myr token and
you get two free cards every time play a creature!

I'm thinking a basic U/B affinity build with the above modifications would
work nicely.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Also, maybe throw in some red for artifact destruction, direct damage and
> maybe Shrapnel Blast, but that kind of goes away from the concept too. If
> there was some red spell like Detonate that delivered damage based on the
#
> of artifacts a player controlled, that'd be perfect. Or something that
> destroyed all artifacts and caused damage to them.

It looks like you want your deck to be T2 legal, but just in case,
Builder's Bane does what you're looking for.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Yeah, I have some of those!
No good on-line, but I could use them in the real deck.
Thanks!
Peter

"Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net> wrote in message
> > Also, maybe throw in some red for artifact destruction, direct damage
and
> > maybe Shrapnel Blast, but that kind of goes away from the concept too.
If
> > there was some red spell like Detonate that delivered damage based on
the
> #
> > of artifacts a player controlled, that'd be perfect. Or something that
> > destroyed all artifacts and caused damage to them.
>
> It looks like you want your deck to be T2 legal, but just in case,
> Builder's Bane does what you're looking for.

Doyle

"Risser Family" <news@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<hQvhc.47749$B%4.43087@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
> So, it kinda looked like this:
> 4 Nim Shrieker
> 4 Disciple of the Vault
> 4 Emissary of Despair
> 4 Leaden Myr
>
> 4 Genesis Chamber
> 4 Skullclamp
> 4 Thunderstaff
>
> 4 Screams from Within
> 4 Burden of Greed
>
> Plus 20 swamps and 4 Vault of Whispers.
> Does that make sense?

The deck looks solid, but I think you have a few too many
redundancies. The Emissary/Shrieker/Disciple all have the same
function. I would change your deck slightly to increase the number of
Myrs and change the function of your non-creatures.

> I'm open to suggestions.

4 x Disciple
12 x Mana Myr (Leaden, Iron, SB)

3 x Death Pit Offering (+2/+2 to all creatures once this is in play)
4 x Genesis Chamber
4 x Skullclamp (draw power)
3 x Grave Pact (control opponents creatures by clamping yours)
4 x Shrapnel Blast
2 x Patriarch's Bidding

4 x Bloodstained Mire
12 x Swamp
4 x Vault of Whispers
2 x Mountain
2 x Red Artifact Land

mypetrock

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

That's good. I was also thinking maybe Lightning Greaves to keep the
Disciples alive, because frankly, when he hits the board, people bring on
the hate.

I like the idea of mana myr to power up the clamps. Maybe Myr Retrievers as
well, to salvage clamps or

> The deck looks solid, but I think you have a few too many
> redundancies. The Emissary/Shrieker/Disciple all have the same
> function. I would change your deck slightly to increase the number of
> Myrs and change the function of your non-creatures.

That's true, it's true. The thing is, these guys are so fragile, they get
creamed so fast, that I still can't seem to get enough of them.

Maybe I'll cut the Shriekers or Emissaries and go to the mana myr.
Thanks!
Peter

"Risser Family" <news@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<t9Uhc.20263$8k.17377@fe1.columbus.rr.com>...
> That's good. I was also thinking maybe Lightning Greaves to keep the
> Disciples alive, because frankly, when he hits the board, people bring on
> the hate.
>
> I like the idea of mana myr to power up the clamps. Maybe Myr Retrievers as
> well, to salvage clamps or
>

> > The deck looks solid, but I think you have a few too many
> > redundancies. The Emissary/Shrieker/Disciple all have the same
> > function. I would change your deck slightly to increase the number of
> > Myrs and change the function of your non-creatures.
>
> That's true, it's true. The thing is, these guys are so fragile, they get
> creamed so fast, that I still can't seem to get enough of them.
>

> > > I'm open to suggestions.
> >
> > 4 x Disciple
> > 12 x Mana Myr (Leaden, Iron, SB)
> >
> > 3 x Death Pit Offering (+2/+2 to all creatures once this is in play)
> > 4 x Genesis Chamber
> > 4 x Skullclamp (draw power)
> > 3 x Grave Pact (control opponents creatures by clamping yours)
> > 4 x Shrapnel Blast
> > 2 x Patriarch's Bidding
> >
> > 4 x Bloodstained Mire
> > 12 x Swamp
> > 4 x Vault of Whispers
> > 2 x Mountain
> > 2 x Red Artifact Land
> >
> > mypetrock

Your deck Just owns 5/5/5 rating

Original

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> > > 4 x Disciple
> > > 12 x Mana Myr (Leaden, Iron, SB)
> > >
> > > 3 x Death Pit Offering (+2/+2 to all creatures once this is in play)
> > > 4 x Genesis Chamber
> > > 4 x Skullclamp (draw power)
> > > 3 x Grave Pact (control opponents creatures by clamping yours)
> > > 4 x Shrapnel Blast
> > > 2 x Patriarch's Bidding
> > >
> > > 4 x Bloodstained Mire
> > > 12 x Swamp
> > > 4 x Vault of Whispers
> > > 2 x Mountain
> > > 2 x Red Artifact Land
> > >
> > > mypetrock
> Your deck Just owns 5/5/5 rating
> Original

I actually gave up on the black/red nature of this, and tried black/blue
with Thoughtcasts to beef up the draw.
That worked okay, but really the Genesis Chamber wasn't so hot.

Then I switched to Mycosynth Lattice. This is awesome because it powers up
the Nim Shriekers and Emissaries, and it's usually a sudden thing.

So, you ping along with Nims and Emissaries, speed mana with Silver Myr, use
Thoughtcast and Mask of Memory to draw through your deck. You hold the line
with Crystal Shards to save your guys (or occasionally bounce theirs, if
they neglect to leave a mana open) and Echoing Truths. Oh, plus 2-drop
Grimclaw Bats to ping in the air, to hold the Masks and to block when
necessary. Then, suddenly, when you've got an open hit, you drop the
Lattice and punish them. Everything you own (including land) becomes an
artifact to power the Shrieker and everything they own, including lands,
enchantments, creatures all become artifacts and the Emissary delivers heavy
damage.

What's real fun too is when they are playing with protection from black,
because all the sudden nothing is black anymore.
It's a lot of fun, especially when the combo goes off against something like
Elves, where they figure your Emissary is just an expensive 2/1 flier and
suddenly their whooped for having artifacts they didn't even know they had.

Again, it's not a tournament deck, but it's fun to play casual with.

Here's the list:
12 swamp
4 arti-blue
4 arti-black
4 island
(mix blue/black combo lands as needed)

4 emissary of despair
4 nim shrieker
4 grimclaw bats
4 silver myr

4 mask of memory
4 mycosynth lattice
4 crystal shard
4 echoing truth
4 thoughtcast

Hmmm. I think I dropped 1 swamp/1 island to put in 2 dark banishing. The
toughest is, sometimes I don't have the double-black mana for the
emissaries. But it usually works out.

Peter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Here's the list:
> 12 swamp
> 4 arti-blue
> 4 arti-black
> 4 island
> (mix blue/black combo lands as needed)
>
> 4 emissary of despair
> 4 nim shrieker
> 4 grimclaw bats
> 4 silver myr
>
> 4 mask of memory
> 4 mycosynth lattice
> 4 crystal shard
> 4 echoing truth
> 4 thoughtcast

This is a really interesting deck idea and I like it a lot. Perhaps
hunger of the nim might be appropriate. If you still want to use the
burden of greed try a g/b build with roaring slagwurm. I never
thought to use the lattice this way, I was always comboing it
darksteel forge.