What to do when external monitor does work during recovery cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wild wonka

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I have a Toshiba X200-AX1 and have been trying to run recovery. I have the laptop hooked up to an external monitor due to damage on the laptop screen, and I can not see what is next after the "please wait while windows loads for the first time" screen comes on. Can you please help me to complete the recovery? How can I switch to my external monitor to finish?

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
So that laptop has this video config:

•Dual NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with NVIDIA SLI
RGB, HDMI, TV-out (S-video)

What OS? If Win7 try Windows Key + P a couple times pausing for it to switch the display.

Is this a clean install using the OS install disk, or a factory recovery partition or disk?

Have you tried all 3 outputs - including TV?

Have you tried special function buttons to switch the display output? These buttons require you to hold down a special function key (FN) and a numeric (1,2,3..) or function key (F1, F2...) to do things like mute audio or switch to an external display.

Have you looked in the BIOS? Some BIOS have display settings for the external output such as clone or expansion.

You could also manually apply the registry settings necessary for the proper display setup. This would require using the console from the OS install disk to edit the registry and finding those settings from someone with the same graphics driver version.

Status
Not open for further replies.