Funny Taskbar Icon

March 12, 2005 12:26:53 PM

OK, it's not so much funny "tee hee" as funny "hunh?" Most of the time when
I restart my computer, or turn it off, and back on, I have an application of
some sort running. It takes up the first position, and it kinda looks like
a green version of the AOL guy (no, don't have AIM, removed it and AOL when
machine arrived), kind of a stick figure running, in the left side of the
application box. No description of the program in it, just the stick
figure.

If I go into the Task Manager it isn't there, at least not under
Applications. I'm running XP Home edition on an Emachine (don't laugh, all
I can afford at work, it's better than the Dell 900 MHz Celeron machine I
was running) T2958, with 512Mb of RAM, and SP2.

Any ideas? And does it have a better name than "funny stick-man that looks
kinda like a green AOL guy"?

Thanks,
Jim Dixon

More about : funny taskbar icon

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:33:40 PM

PS: I run Spybot 1.3, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster regularly, don't think
that's the problem. JD

"Jim Dixon" <jimd@teoil.com> wrote in message
news:o p7qvfxJFHA.4012@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
[...]

March 12, 2005 2:57:01 PM

Windows Messenger.
I'm assuming you have a relatively new Emachine that hasn't been used much.
Only know how not to start it using SP2. Some nice person will be able to
tell you how to get it not to start.
FYI, Windows Task Manager > Processes > Image Name - msmsgs.exe

Black Wolf Standing

"Jim Dixon" wrote:

> PS: I run Spybot 1.3, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster regularly, don't think
> that's the problem. JD
>

> "Jim Dixon" <jimd@teoil.com> wrote in message
> news:o p7qvfxJFHA.4012@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> OK, it's not so much funny "tee hee" as funny "hunh?" Most of the time
> when
> I restart my computer, or turn it off, and back on, I have an application
> of
> some sort running. It takes up the first position, and it kinda looks like
> a green version of the AOL guy (no, don't have AIM, removed it and AOL when
> machine arrived), kind of a stick figure running, in the left side of the
> application box. No description of the program in it, just the stick
> figure.
>
> If I go into the Task Manager it isn't there, at least not under
> Applications. I'm running XP Home edition on an Emachine (don't laugh, all
> I can afford at work, it's better than the Dell 900 MHz Celeron machine I
> was running) T2958, with 512Mb of RAM, and SP2.
>
> Any ideas? And does it have a better name than "funny stick-man that looks
> kinda like a green AOL guy"?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Dixon

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:08:58 AM

Hi Jim,

Check the "Processes" tab in Task Manager. Applications tab lists only the
programs having a 'Window'. Or, acquire Process Explorer from
www.sysinternals.com

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User