9800pro power cable

Tuskawilla

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2003
So what makes that stupid powercable that comes on the ati9800 pro so damn special? I mean, it has the standard power cable ends, it wants me to connet from the vid card, to the hard drive, then to one of the powersupply plugs. This makes the total cable lenght quite long and leaves one of the 2 original plugs hanging round, which probably wouldn't be wize to plug into something at that point anyway. Can I NOT just use one of the regular plugs right out of my Power Supply and keep the Hard Drive and the 9800 on the same hookup??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It doesn't matter whether you use the power splitter that came with the card or one of the other cables from your power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Oh no, it is indeed very special. It has been endowed with special powers from the factory at ATI! No other cable can perform its duties. In fact, that exact cable was specially constructed for YOUR video card, it will not work with any other video card, and no other cable will work with your video card. It may look like a normal cable, but its really hand-crafted masterpiece.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd