DCOM Error

March 12, 2005 7:52:45 PM

My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting itself
with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow system
messages that are displayed in Component Services which I accidentally
stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem was.

DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
F42-00B0D0118B56}

The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The
specified module could not be found.

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

More about : dcom error

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:22:28 PM

Hi Macanta,

See if stopping and disabling the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"
Service helps. Click Start/Run and type Services.msc to configure Services.
For the 2nd error message, it looks like the file appmgmts.dll is missing in
the following folder:

%SystemRoot%\System32

If the DLL is missing, see if extracting a new copy from the source helps.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Macanta" <macantanospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o CjPrPyJFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting itself
> with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow system
> error messages that are displayed in Component Services which I
> accidentally stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem
> was.
>

> DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
> arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
> F42-00B0D0118B56}
>
> The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
> The specified module could not be found.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:38:27 PM

Thanks Ramesh - I found that the appmgmts.dll file was missing as you said
and I have replaced it. The "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" was
already disabled though. Despite restoring the missing file there has been
no improvement - I have no faith in the system as it operates at the moment
so I'm going to back up all my data and format the drive and do a clean
reinstall of XP. I can't have it fail on me when I need it.

Cheers.

> Hi Macanta,
>
> See if stopping and disabling the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"
> Service helps. Click Start/Run and type Services.msc to configure
> Services. For the 2nd error message, it looks like the file appmgmts.dll
> is missing in the following folder:
>
> %SystemRoot%\System32
>
> If the DLL is missing, see if extracting a new copy from the source helps.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Macanta" <macantanospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o CjPrPyJFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting
>> itself with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow
>> system responses when the OS has eventually loaded. I've copied the
>> following error messages that are displayed in Component Services which I
>> accidentally stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem
>> was.
>>

>> DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
>> arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
>> F42-00B0D0118B56}
>>
>> The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
>> The specified module could not be found.
>>
>> Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
>>
>> Many thanks.

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:14:47 AM

Macanta,

Another checkpoint is to make sure that you've extracted the latest version
of the appmgmts.dll file. (if you have a Service Pack installed). Using an
older version of the DLL (shipped with base XP CD) in a SP2 level system
_may_ cause a problem, though I've not compared the module versions.

--

news:o IC7$QAKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!