DCOM Error

My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting itself
with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow system
messages that are displayed in Component Services which I accidentally
stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem was.

DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
F42-00B0D0118B56}

The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The
specified module could not be found.

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about dcom error

    Hi Macanta,

    See if stopping and disabling the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"
    Service helps. Click Start/Run and type Services.msc to configure Services.
    For the 2nd error message, it looks like the file appmgmts.dll is missing in
    the following folder:

    %SystemRoot%\System32

    If the DLL is missing, see if extracting a new copy from the source helps.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Macanta" <macantanospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting itself
    > with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow system
    > error messages that are displayed in Component Services which I
    > accidentally stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem
    > was.
    >

    > DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
    > arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
    > F42-00B0D0118B56}
    >
    > The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
    > The specified module could not be found.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Thanks Ramesh - I found that the appmgmts.dll file was missing as you said
    and I have replaced it. The "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" was
    already disabled though. Despite restoring the missing file there has been
    no improvement - I have no faith in the system as it operates at the moment
    so I'm going to back up all my data and format the drive and do a clean
    reinstall of XP. I can't have it fail on me when I need it.

    Cheers.

    > Hi Macanta,
    >
    > See if stopping and disabling the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"
    > Service helps. Click Start/Run and type Services.msc to configure
    > Services. For the 2nd error message, it looks like the file appmgmts.dll
    > is missing in the following folder:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\System32
    >
    > If the DLL is missing, see if extracting a new copy from the source helps.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Macanta" <macantanospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting
    >> itself with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow
    >> system responses when the OS has eventually loaded. I've copied the
    >> following error messages that are displayed in Component Services which I
    >> accidentally stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem
    >> was.
    >>

    >> DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
    >> arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
    >> F42-00B0D0118B56}
    >>
    >> The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
    >> The specified module could not be found.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
    >>
    >> Many thanks.

    Macanta,

    Another checkpoint is to make sure that you've extracted the latest version
    of the appmgmts.dll file. (if you have a Service Pack installed). Using an
    older version of the DLL (shipped with base XP CD) in a SP2 level system
    _may_ cause a problem, though I've not compared the module versions.

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh - I found that the appmgmts.dll file was missing as you said
    > and I have replaced it. The "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" was
    > already disabled though. Despite restoring the missing file there has been
    > no improvement - I have no faith in the system as it operates at the
    > moment so I'm going to back up all my data and format the drive and do a
    > clean reinstall of XP. I can't have it fail on me when I need it.
    >
    > Cheers.

    >> Hi Macanta,
    >>
    >> See if stopping and disabling the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"
    >> Service helps. Click Start/Run and type Services.msc to configure
    >> Services. For the 2nd error message, it looks like the file appmgmts.dll
    >> is missing in the following folder:
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\System32
    >>
    >> If the DLL is missing, see if extracting a new copy from the source
    >> helps.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Macanta" <macantanospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> My Windows XP Home Edition has developed a fault lately manifesting
    >>> itself with a slow bootup process, slow start up process and often slow
    >>> system responses when the OS has eventually loaded. I've copied the
    >>> following error messages that are displayed in Component Services which
    >>> I accidentally stumbled across while trying to find out what the problem
    >>> was.
    >>>

    >>> DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with
    >>> arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-B
    >>> F42-00B0D0118B56}
    >>>
    >>> The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
    >>> The specified module could not be found.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.

Windows XP