Green vs Flying

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I have a mono-green deck (casual play) which is based around the Nantuko
Mentor and Big Hitters (Pulse of the Tangle 3/3's, Wurms, Living Hive,
Symbiotic Wurm) + trample with a scattering of life gain courtesy of Loxodon
Warhammer. There are a few Fireshriekers, Whispersilk cloaks and Loxodon
WH's)

I have sorcerys to help the mana curve, and a few Elves as well. The deck
goes ok, occasionally getting 24/24 type creatures with trample and spirit
link.

The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing the
whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An artifact
or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?

Spells (like spider climb, downdraft, etc) aren't overly useful as they're
one-shot-wonders. Is there a more permanent (well as permanent as any
artifact, creature or enchantment is) that will help vs flying?

I *could* splash in white if there is a white solution, but would prefer not
to.

tia,

Tim <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote:

> The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing the
> whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An artifact
> or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?
>
> Spells (like spider climb, downdraft, etc) aren't overly useful as they're
> one-shot-wonders. Is there a more permanent (well as permanent as any
> artifact, creature or enchantment is) that will help vs flying?

How are Spider Climb and Downdraft one-shot-wonders?

"Enchanted creature gets +0/+3 and may block as though it had flying."

"{G}: Target creature loses flying until end of turn."

What about Blizzard, Crosswinds, Femeref Archers, Ifh-Biff Efreet,
Katabatic Winds, Skyshroud Archer, Spidersilk Armor, Squallmonger, Storm
Front, Venomspout Brackus, Grapeshot Catapult, "Predator, Flagship",
Scarecrow, Unerring Sling?
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

What about some Killer Bees {0/1; flying; G: +1/+1}?

With mana they can do a lot of damage !

Carl

Tim wrote:

>I have a mono-green deck (casual play) which is based around the Nantuko
>Mentor and Big Hitters (Pulse of the Tangle 3/3's, Wurms, Living Hive,
>Symbiotic Wurm) + trample with a scattering of life gain courtesy of Loxodon
>Warhammer. There are a few Fireshriekers, Whispersilk cloaks and Loxodon
>WH's)
>
>I have sorcerys to help the mana curve, and a few Elves as well. The deck
>goes ok, occasionally getting 24/24 type creatures with trample and spirit
>link.
>
>The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing the
>whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An artifact
>or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?
>
>Spells (like spider climb, downdraft, etc) aren't overly useful as they're
>one-shot-wonders. Is there a more permanent (well as permanent as any
>artifact, creature or enchantment is) that will help vs flying?
>
>I *could* splash in white if there is a white solution, but would prefer not
>to.
>
>tia,
>
>tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Fifth Dawn has the fatty for you, assuming the MtgNews spoiler is correct:

Look up "Tornado Elemental"

http://cards.mtgnews.com/Find/Spoilers/FD/Fifth_Dawn_Spoiler.html

Granted, it's not a permanent solution, but it doesn't dilute your fatty
quotient.

--

"Today, for a lark, let's visit the pants. I'm
sure we'll find something to entertain us."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Bah, sorry about the top-posting. Now where was that preferences setting...

--

Tim wrote:

> I have a mono-green deck (casual play) which is based around the Nantuko
> Mentor and Big Hitters (Pulse of the Tangle 3/3's, Wurms, Living Hive,
> Symbiotic Wurm) + trample with a scattering of life gain courtesy of Loxodon
> Warhammer. There are a few Fireshriekers, Whispersilk cloaks and Loxodon
> WH's)
>
> I have sorcerys to help the mana curve, and a few Elves as well. The deck
> goes ok, occasionally getting 24/24 type creatures with trample and spirit
> link.
>
> The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing the
> whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An artifact
> or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?
>
> Spells (like spider climb, downdraft, etc) aren't overly useful as they're
> one-shot-wonders. Is there a more permanent (well as permanent as any
> artifact, creature or enchantment is) that will help vs flying?
>
> I *could* splash in white if there is a white solution, but would prefer not
> to.

Well, it depends on what the problem is. Are you dealing with lots of little
flyers or a few big ones?

For little ones, I recommend Hurricane.

For a few big ones, Wing Snare.

Basically, if your playing mono-green, you should be tuning your deck to get out
your big critters faster. Flyers tain't much of a problem if they're forced to
chump block big critters.

ken

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> > The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing
the
> > whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An
artifact
> > or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?
> >
> > Spells (like spider climb, downdraft, etc) aren't overly useful as
they're
> > one-shot-wonders. Is there a more permanent (well as permanent as any
> > artifact, creature or enchantment is) that will help vs flying?
>
> How are Spider Climb and Downdraft one-shot-wonders?

Oops, of course you're right. What I was trying to get at is Spider Climb
cast on a fatty means he has to stay at home to block (which defeats the
purpose and reduces the effectiveness of the combos) and he quickly becomes
the target of removal.

Downdraft was supposed to be Hurricane (or one like that) - downdraft is
indeed a solution, but with a mana-intensive deck I prefer not to have to
keep x mana untapped and y creatures untapped to block flying creatures.

I'm looking for an anti-moat I guess, creatures with flying can't attack or
similar.

> What about Blizzard, Crosswinds, Femeref Archers, Ifh-Biff Efreet,
> Katabatic Winds, Skyshroud Archer, Spidersilk Armor, Squallmonger, Storm
> Front, Venomspout Brackus, Grapeshot Catapult, "Predator, Flagship",
> Scarecrow, Unerring Sling?

Will look at them all. cheers,

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Tim <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote:

> Downdraft was supposed to be Hurricane (or one like that) - downdraft is
> indeed a solution, but with a mana-intensive deck I prefer not to have to
> keep x mana untapped and y creatures untapped to block flying creatures.

Then my suggested list drops to Crosswinds, Femeref Archers, Ifh-Biff
Efreet, Katabatic Winds, Spidersilk Armor, Squallmonger, Venomspout
Brackus, Grapeshot Catapult, "Predator, Flagship", Scarecrow (and
possibly further).
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net
http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Oops, of course you're right. What I was trying to get at is Spider Climb
> cast on a fatty means he has to stay at home to block (which defeats the
> purpose and reduces the effectiveness of the combos) and he quickly becomes
> the target of removal.
>
> Downdraft was supposed to be Hurricane (or one like that) - downdraft is
> indeed a solution, but with a mana-intensive deck I prefer not to have to
> keep x mana untapped and y creatures untapped to block flying creatures.
>
> I'm looking for an anti-moat I guess, creatures with flying can't attack or
> similar.
>

> > What about Blizzard, Crosswinds, Femeref Archers, Ifh-Biff Efreet,
> > Katabatic Winds, Skyshroud Archer, Spidersilk Armor, Squallmonger, Storm
> > Front, Venomspout Brackus, Grapeshot Catapult, "Predator, Flagship",
> > Scarecrow, Unerring Sling?
>
> Will look at them all. cheers,
>
> Tim

I like a lot of these cards particularly, Predator, Spidersilk Armor,
and the Squallmonger (with an Urza's Armor in play) but what you are
asking for (A way to make it so flying creatures never attack) isn't
readily available in green and I know of no cards that do what you
want. But a fun a particularly elegant solution is just to prevent
all combat damage your opponent will ever do with Fog + Isochron
Scepter or Spike Weaver + Dragon's Blood or Spore Frog + Sword of
Light and Shadow (or some other dredge effect). No blockers or X mana
cost needed.

"Tim" <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote in message news:<ySEoc.128$7V2.2891@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au>...
> > > The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing
> the
> > > whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An
> artifact
> > > or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?
> > >
> > > Spells (like spider climb, downdraft, etc) aren't overly useful as
> they're
> > > one-shot-wonders. Is there a more permanent (well as permanent as any
> > > artifact, creature or enchantment is) that will help vs flying?
> >
> > How are Spider Climb and Downdraft one-shot-wonders?
>
> Oops, of course you're right. What I was trying to get at is Spider Climb
> cast on a fatty means he has to stay at home to block (which defeats the
> purpose and reduces the effectiveness of the combos) and he quickly becomes
> the target of removal.
>
> Downdraft was supposed to be Hurricane (or one like that) - downdraft is
> indeed a solution, but with a mana-intensive deck I prefer not to have to
> keep x mana untapped and y creatures untapped to block flying creatures.
>
> I'm looking for an anti-moat I guess, creatures with flying can't attack or
> similar.
>

> > What about Blizzard, Crosswinds, Femeref Archers, Ifh-Biff Efreet,
> > Katabatic Winds, Skyshroud Archer, Spidersilk Armor, Squallmonger, Storm
> > Front, Venomspout Brackus, Grapeshot Catapult, "Predator, Flagship",
> > Scarecrow, Unerring Sling?
>
> Will look at them all. cheers,
>
> Tim

Red can be good at this, if you are willing to splash it. Take a look
at Legends' Gravity Sphere...

Mike McC

Tim wrote:

> I *could* splash in white if there is a white solution, but would prefer not
> to.

Any possibility of splashing blue and using Wonder?
It doesn't stop fliers but it'll make all your fatties into fliers.
They'll make great blockers/deterrants while waiting out
"summoning sickness".

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Sorry to reply to myself... just an updated

Thanks for your suggestions thus far, certainly something to think about and
I'll have a look at all your suggestions over the weekend. The scepter and
fog was a good'un. :)

I raped one of my other green decks and found a spider which I'll include,
maybe a few of them. With a Loxodon Warhammer on it starts to become a
fatty (5/7) itself, coupled with a Nantuko Mentor (10/12) or two (20/22) it
can get nasty fast, and has the added bonus of wiping *all* fliers with an
outpouring of mana. don't even need to tap it. :)

Silklash Spider
{3}{G}{G}
Creature -- Spider
2/7
Silklash Spider may block as though it had flying.
{X}{G}{G}: Silklash Spider deals X damage to each creature with flying.

To answer some questions, it was an attack to the left, defend from the
right, round table group game. And I was doing quite nicely until I got
around to someone who had had a Luminous Angel in play for a long time, and
had Mirari's wake and a glorious anthem and a Leonin Sun Standard. Iwas
confronted with a flying armada by the time I got around to her. Would've
been nice to have a silklash in play, by that time I was generating lots of
mana.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I belive for fast green decks, Hurricane could be very good - with some life
advantage - you can even end the game with it.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:07:20 -0500, panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W.
Johnson) wrote:

>Tim <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Downdraft was supposed to be Hurricane (or one like that) - downdraft is
>> indeed a solution, but with a mana-intensive deck I prefer not to have to
>> keep x mana untapped and y creatures untapped to block flying creatures.
>
>Then my suggested list drops to Crosswinds, Femeref Archers, Ifh-Biff
>Efreet, Katabatic Winds, Spidersilk Armor, Squallmonger, Venomspout
>Brackus, Grapeshot Catapult, "Predator, Flagship", Scarecrow (and
>possibly further).

Needleshot Gourna
Needle Storm

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:53:57 +1000, "Tim" <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote:

>The achillies heel of the deck is Flying. I would rather avoid removing the
>whumpers to throw in some Spiders, is there any other solution? An artifact
>or enchantment that prohibits flying, or grounds it?

Creatures w/provoke.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:53:57 +1000, "Tim" <XXshade@tusc.com.au> wrote:

Longbow archer. He's not a fatty, but he is a 2/2 first strike that
blocks as though he has flying, for WW. Put a Hammer on him and he
can pretty much handle any flier you might run across.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

the best has to be tornado elemental, its a fatty with uber trample
and he clears the board of flyers when he hits the table, if you going
to do some significant pumping of him then i wouldn't worry about them
dropping new flyers.

<cerberos2@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> the best has to be tornado elemental, its a fatty with uber trample
> and he clears the board of flyers when he hits the table, if you going
> to do some significant pumping of him then i wouldn't worry about them
> dropping new flyers.

Tornado Elemental - lovely.

Tornado Elemental
{5}{G}{G}
Creature -- Elemental
6/6
When Tornado Elemental comes into play, it deals 6 damage to each creature
with flying.
You may have Tornado Elemental deal its combat damage to defending player as
though it weren't blocked.